Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters

I Fusion I

Everything you can imagine is real
@Brown
Reaction score
1703333159433.png

IMG_9185.jpeg

Mann's best vs Fincher's best.. Who wins?

Welcome back man. This a good match up. Considering I'm not big into Zodiac and I love Se7en the most of these 4 films.

Manhunter and Last of the Mohicans>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Collateral
Fight Club > Zodiac

Welcome back man. This a good match up. Considering I'm not big into Zodiac and I love Se7en the most of these 4 films.

yeah. I check this site still when I got time.

Been studying films recently, and analyzing them plus changed some of my taste and judging, but i'm still very open minded.

For me it is: Heat > Zodiac =\> Collateral > Seven by the way.

Se7en lost steam on rewatch, i'd still give it a 9, but Pitt's acting in some scenes and some slow parts make it worse than Zodiac overall, which for me is definitely more focused, tight and better acted and directed.

Heat is the only good movie here for me, so team Heat wins.

Heat 8/10
Se7en 5
Colaterall 4
Zodiac 1.5

Manhunter and Last of the Mohicans>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Collateral
Fight Club > Zodiac
I believe Manhunter was Mann's best film, by far.

Seven was great, except for Pitt at the climax. I'll never understand why they chose to use that take, when there is a clearly superior take that was cut. It still wasn't great, but it was better than what Fincher used.

Zodiac is under-rated. People hated it because it doesn't go anywhere or resolve, but as Fincher stated, that was the whole point; the entire Zodiac case doesn't go anywhere or resolve. The cast keeps shifting, as do the suspects, but it's never-ending.

And apparently I'm the only Sherdogger who didn't like Heat. I actually rewatched the damn thing given all the praise it gets on this board, but it just doesn't speak to me at all.

Last edited:

Seven was great, except for Pitt at the climax. I'll never understand why they chose to use that take, when there is a clearly superior take that was cut. It still wasn't great, but it was better than what Fincher used.

Zodiac is under-rated. People hated it because it doesn't go anywhere or resolve, but as Fincher stated, that was the whole point; the entire Zodiac case doesn't go anywhere or resolve. The cast keeps shifting, as do the suspects, but it's never-ending.

And apparently I'm the only Sherdogger who didn't like Heat. I actually rewatched the damn thing given all the praise it gets on this board, but it just doesn't speak to me at all.

Didn't dislike Zodiac at all, enjoyed it, it's pretty good. Fight Club was better imo, and certainly more iconic.

Not gonna lie, always felt Heat was a bit overrated here, too. It's really good, don't get me wrong, but certainly I don't think it's an all timer. Manhunter is also my clear #1 from Mann.

Didn't dislike Zodiac at all, enjoyed it, it's pretty good. Fight Club was better imo, and certainly more iconic.

Not gonna lie, always felt Heat was a bit overrated here, too. It's really good, don't get me wrong, but certainly I don't think it's an all timer. Manhunter is also my clear #1 from Mann.

Don't forget Thief, a great debut with a good love story and The Insider, very effective drama.

Also, as much as they get hate, I enjoyed both Miami Vice and Public Enemies and Ferrari was pretty decent. The only Mann film that i've seen that I do not like at all is Blackhat.

I like the way Mann tell a story via visuals, and sets up both characters and action, he is also very good at sound, both mixing and soundtrack. Definitely a great director overall.

I think FC is good yeah, but I prefered Zodiac, Se7en, The Social Network and even Gone Girl to it. But it's been a while since I have seen it.

Well, you gotta do it procedural at the end of the day, it's a thriller film that is mostly about the investigation and the characters itself and their obsession with the investigation. Not about the Zodiac.

Also, Zodiac's identity is not known by this day; but the film hints it was Arthur Leigh Allen.

Most film fans rate Zodiac as #1 or #2 Fincher film. It’s definitely it's better directed one and with better cinematography as well.

Manhunter is great but Heat is one of my all-time favorite films. it really fired on all cilinders, it's a crime film, not an action film by the way.

What made it so great was mostly the writing and the style; it felt a mix of a dark, serious film with some comedy parts by Pacino, all the characters are properly given an ending as well. Also it influenced The Town (a really good film) and The Dark Knight (one of my favorite film as well, and the best superhero movie ever).

I'd give it another shot

Zodiac and Se7en

Heat may be the best of all of them. I can take or leave Collateral.

But Zodiac and Se7en are the two best movies of their type.

I like Seven, but the fingertip thing is retarded. Takes me out the movie. Hard to watch anything Spacey these days, tbh.

Collateral would've been better without Jamie Fox. He's unwatchable for me in that.

This one's hard because seven is the best one imo and zodiac is the worst. Heat and collateral are in between.

I think collateral is a liability here dragging heat down, because the ending sucks. So I'd go with seven/zodiac

Back