Heath Ledger's Death Story

What caught my attention about this video is that Heath was not doing well in those two, three years before the Dark Knight was released. If he only knew how much an impact he had after its release. He wouldn't be in such self doubt. It's a shame, I honestly believe he'd be considered one of the greatest actors that ever lived if just had a long career.

Can you remember the absolute outrage from the fans when it was announced heath was cast as the Joker? Nearly everyone wrote him off and decided the film was going to be a turd.

Can you remember the absolute outrage from the fans when it was announced heath was cast as the Joker? Nearly everyone wrote him off and decided the film was going to be a turd.
Yeah was hard to picture the 10 Things I hate about you guy being a convincing Joker, but proved us wrong.
Reminds me of the Robert Pattinson Batman Casting hate. A Twinkling vampire could never be Batman right.

Yeah was hard to picture the 10 Things I hate about you guy being a convincing Joker, but proved us wrong.
Reminds me of the Robert Pattinson Batman Casting hate. A Twinkling vampire could never be Batman right.
Well, an Emo Batman.

And Michael Keaton. When he was announced, if memory serves correctly, there was even a petition to get him sacked.
One casting that never materialised though that I was waiting to see, was Johnny Depp as the Riddler. Sadly never happened. He ended up most well known for being a pirate instead.

And Michael Keaton. When he was announced, if memory serves correctly, there was even a petition to get him sacked.
One casting that never materialised though that I was waiting to see, was Johnny Depp as the Riddler. Sadly never happened. He ended up most well known for being a pirate instead.
Would have been an interesting casting. Have a Riddler and Scarecrow combo for first movie, The Joker for second movie, and with League of Shadows being built up over first 2 films, save their revenge story for the third act also employing Bane as hired muscle.

To be fair, that was in the 80s, pre internet. That “petition” likey only consisted of 13 signatures by a group of dorks that went home to their moms basements after spending their days at the comic book store.

Agree on that but...

Vocals - Dio
Dual Guitar - Randy/Dimebag
Bass - Cliff
Drums - Bonham

Bongs -

pantera-vinnie-paul.gif

To be fair, that was in the 80s, pre internet. That “petition” likey only consisted of 13 signatures by a group of dorks that went home to their moms basements after spending their days at the comic book store.

Pre internet but yet we still heard about it, and are still aware of it now.
So I doubt it.

that's right, no one could understand how Keaton could play an action hero, and they had a point but Keaton was a real actor and it turned out fine without all the big muscles and the impressive physique.

I have the deluxe of that batman and a couple guys were whining that they weren't invited into the next generations batman. Even Jack Nicholsen was bitching around the time of the dark night because they told him he was too old to play the joker.

that's right, no one could understand how Keaton could play an action hero, and they had a point but Keaton was a real actor and it turned out fine without all the big muscles and the impressive physique.

I have the deluxe of that batman and a couple guys were whining that they weren't invited into the next generations batman. Even Jack Nicholsen was bitching around the time of the dark night because they told him he was too old to play the joker.

Jack Nicholson's joker doesn't look that great compared to Heath's. And how on earth did he think he could go back when he's dead at the end of the first batman....

And the trouble is, he's one of those actors who kind of plays the same part in every film he's in. However I would definitely watch another Keaton batman if they went for the old Bruce Wayne theme like they suggested they might. Keaton not too old just yet. He's had his day though. I'm intrigued to see what they do with Edward.

Jack Nicholson's joker doesn't look that great compared to Heath's. And how on earth did he think he could go back when he's dead at the end of the first batman....

And the trouble is, he's one of those actors who kind of plays the same part in every film he's in. However I would definitely watch another Keaton batman if they went for the old Bruce Wayne theme like they suggested they might. Keaton not too old just yet. He's had his day though. I'm intrigued to see what they do with Edward.
nah, Nicholson made Batman, you'd have to live through it to see how huge it was at the time, and influential. Everyone was copying the mad, zany, evil Joker in movies for about the next five years. He was too goddamned old to be playing the new Joker though.

I tried to watch the dark night again the other night but I turned it off, it wasn't bad but all the noise and explosions are boring to me.

Last edited:
nah, Nicholson made Batman, you'd have to live through it to see how huge it was at the time, and influential. Everyone was copying the mad, zany, evil Joker in movies for about the next five years. He was too goddamned old to be playing the new Joker though.

I tried to watch the dark night again the other night but I turned it off, it wasn't bad but all the noise and explosions are boring to me.

I did live through it. I'm 44 years old.
In its day, jack did a good job. Looks very dated now though. And I still think he's just playing one of his versions of himself. Much like de niro does.

honestly, wasn't following entertainment as closely by then which is probably why I just wasn't that into it. I remember when he died, I knew he was in Broke Back Mountain but I never wanted to see a gay cowboy movie so I didn't see it. I'm not sure if I've seen another movie with him besides the Dark Knight. But, by that time, that sort of movie had just lost my interest, i wasn't a kid anymore and it got to the point where I just didn't go see hardly any movies in those years, I don't see many now.

Yeah he was a heck of an actor. Maybe somewhere up there he's doing movies with River Phoenix and James Dean and Natalie Wood, and Jimi Hendrix and Bon Scott and Janis Joplin are doing the soundtrack.
They all died around the same age right?

I did live through it. I'm 44 years old.
In its day, jack did a good job. Looks very dated now though. And I still think he's just playing one of his versions of himself. Much like de niro does.
you were a kid then, I'm ten years older. I doubt if a 9 or ten year old is gonna be able to see anything clearly. Anyway, I think the script and the story were better, the effects and stuff I really didn't care about. The duality was more interesting, the little things like Basingers character asking "which one" when the joker and batmans cars were parked side by side, those are things that were conscious and thought out and later films lose all of that.

I still think Keaton was an underwhelming physical presense, he did a fine job other than that.

Give or take. They were all young deaths. River Phoenix moreso than Natalie Wood though who was around 40.

not exactly, Jimmy was 24, Natalie was 40 or 41, Rivers was like in his early 20's and heath was 28 I believe. Not exactly like the "27 club" of rock musicians but all troubled, wounded, worried souls.

Give or take. They were all young deaths. River Phoenix moreso than Natalie Wood though who was around 40.
Natalie had acted with Dean over 20 years before she died. She didn't have an easy life either, Kirk Douglas apparently raped her when she was young and I've read that she went casting couch with the director of Rebel. She said Elvis wasn't much in the sack and Elvis said her pussy stank, wierd people huh? Jimmie sometimes seems the most old fashioned and he was apparently a nut and bisexual and some say he sold his ass in Hollywood before his break. Crazy how the glamor of that town hides the reality of corrupt souls.

Natalie had acted with Dean over 20 years before she died. She didn't have an easy life either, Kirk Douglas apparently raped her when she was young and I've read that she went casting couch with the director of Rebel. She said Elvis wasn't much in the sack and Elvis said her pussy stank, wierd people huh? Jimmie sometimes seems the most old fashioned and he was apparently a nut and bisexual and some say he sold his ass in Hollywood before his break. Crazy how the glamor of that town hides the reality of corrupt souls.

I guess if there's a silver lining they were out of the picture before Harvey showed up with his mangina.

Back