Help me choose an affordable pocketknife for a groomsmen gift..please

Lucky Strike

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm getting married this week and the wedding rehearsal is Wednesday and I realized that I've totally forgotten about the gift i'm supposed to give to the groomsmen.

I think a pocket knife would be a good gift as opposed to a lighter or flask since it's equally as cool but a lot more handy.

I don't have too much money to spend since I'm currenty putting my wife to be through school and I can't get it on the internet since I'm such a slacker and I need it by Wednesday.

So what I'm asking you guys is what's the best pocketknife that one could buy at a sporting/outdoor type store that retails for around $25.

I was at the mall and saw that they had some for like $5 at those little carts that sell knives/jewelry/cell phone covers but I don't want to buy something that'll just break.

Spyderco makes some really nice and sturdy small knives.

Benchmade Griptilian with a clip or drop point will run around $50 if you look. That's as low as I would go for a knife. I would get them older model Leatherman tools, as newer models should make quality from the past versions more thrifty.

If you buy them the garbage from the mall it may come off as a slap in the face if they have any knowledge of knives.

Maybe a cheaper CRKT or Spyderco, like an Endura. These are closer to your desired price, and I would appreciate them as a gift.
http://www.1sks.com/store/spyderco-endura-lightweight.html
http://www.1sks.com/store/spyderco-delica-nylon-handles.html
http://www.1sks.com/store/spyderco-dragonfly-lightweight.html
http://www.1sks.com/store/spyderco-jester.html

You could also consider a case of a local brewery or a decent bottle of something harder.

Thanks for the advice....are there things to look for like what type of steel the blade is made out of and such? Is Gerber a brand worth buying? Just looking on the internet i'm seeing that they're more affordable but I'm aware of the old adage "you get what you pay for". I don't need to get them the baddest knife on the market i just want something that looks nice and is has quality in it's build so it won't break a month later.

I'm going to hit up GI Joes and Sportsman's Warehouse Tuesday afternoon and hopefully find something worthy there.

Yes, blade steel is a factor to look for-but at the price you are looking to pay it is more a game of not buying complete shit rather than buying something that is a better performer.

For your price range, you are going to get something like a Buck, a complete no-name brand, or you could go online and pay near that price for a decently built Spyderco.

I am pretty much going to guarantee that the knives sold at the mall in your price range will be absolute pieces of shit, and if they are actually used, the odds of their liner locks failing is extremely high. Then again, it depends on what time of men your friends are. If they are likely to use a knife for anything other than opening boxes or a letter, or cutting the plastic or ties on a new piece of electronics, a $30 knife is not for them. If you're friends are likely to only need a knife in the situations above or like situations, then your gift is perfect for them and they will think it's pretty neat.

The Jester is the knife I had. One of the best pocket knives I've EVER had.

King Kabuki said:
The Jester is the knife I had. One of the best pocket knives I've EVER had.

Cool...anything in particular that you liked about it?

Durable, nice design, could cut metal, never rusted, I'd still have it now if someone hadn't ganked it.

Gerber knives are great for the price. I've carrried my Gerber Air Ranger 3.00 BB folder consistently for a couple of years and it's still sharp, hasn't let me down.

Ended up going with the CRKT Wild Weasel.....the spring assist was kinda cool and i guess they are discontinued since the price was reduced from $90 to $25....I bought the last five they had....anyways thanks for the suggestions. The spyderco Pacifc Salt was a knife that I really liked that they had there....I'll be putting that one on my christmas list.

I recommend

Boker AF-TF1 (Armed Forces Tanto Folder I)
is an excellent tactical folder, totally legal, handy and looks like
it's for special forces, but it can be used for everday carry.

it's $10 more than what you requested,
$35 retail and you can't get much better than this.

www.bokerusa.com

1) black handle & blade, it's about 4 inches length
closed, totally legal length, and also quite small,
this makes it perfect for concealment purposes.

2) full crossguard, handlde materail is G-10, has
aggressive ridges on it, making it difficult to slip
which makes it a great combat folder, blood is slippery,
if your out in the ocean when the boat shakes,
or wearing field gloves, you will want a knife like this.

3) it is a liner lock, extremely simple construction,
easy to fix or adjust while your in a mission.
not the strongest or best lock but like I said easy to fix,
the lock is inbedded deep inside, at first glance this may
seem annoying and stupid when trying to unlock and put
the blade back in, but it prevents accidental closing,
once out, its out, giving it qualities of a fixed blade.
no complex mechanisms, no springs, not a stupid fragile
switch blade, but trust me is just as fast if not FASTER.

4) 4 possible positions for the clip, the crossguard allows
this knife to be opened in more ways than you can think!
It will give any Emmerson knife a run for it's money
regarding a Remote Pocket Opening,
Knife can be used as a self-defense key chain stick while
it is closed.

premium grade steel blade, premium grade handle material,
the rest is a simple well thought out knife design,
for the money the best deal in the market.

and yes I study knives, I design knives.
I have talked to the president of Boker knives, as well as
a few other major players in the industry.

Back