Help Me Make a List of the Most Technically Competitive and Exciting Fights in MMA History

FamiliarGlamorousFulmar-size_restricted.gif
200_s.gif

Nogueira vs Josh Barnett I
Aleks Emelianenko vs Josh Barnett
Wanderlei Silva vs Guy Mezger
Wanderlei Silva vs Quinton Jackson II
Chuck Liddell vs Randy Couture I + III
Randy Couture vs Pedro Rizzo I + II
Randy Couture vs Gonzaga
Jose Aldo vs Chad Mendes II
Conor Mcgregor vs Nate Diaz II
Nogueira vs Tim Sylvia
Noguiera vs Sergei Kharitonov
Lyoto Machida vs Chris Weidman
Anderson SIlva vs Michael Bisping
Forrest Griffin vs Rampage Jackson
Georges St Pierre vs BJ Penn I
Georges St Pierre vs Matt Hughes I
Frankie Edgar vs Benson Henderson II
Donald Cerrone vs Jamie Varner I + II
Igor Vovchanchyn vs Mirko Cro Cop

Thats enough to start.

Last edited:
Hmmm...my memory of both fights is that Nog was getting beaten up until he pulled off the submission. So not that competitive, maybe? And as for Sapp - a fearsome fighter in his prime, to be sure, but never highly skilled.

How is a fight not competitive if one guy is whooping the other one, only to lose the fight in the end? Oh well.

How is a fight not competitive if one guy is whooping the other one, only to lose the fight in the end? Oh well.
Sorry, I should clarify that I'm looking for matches were both fighters were competitive throughout.

Tyson Griffin vs. Frankie Edgar.

Randy Couture vs Gonzaga
Nogueira vs Tim Sylvia
Anderson SIlva vs Chael Sonnen

Thats enough to start.
That's a good list.

Randy Couture vs Gonzaga
Nogueira vs Tim Sylvia
Anderson SIlva vs Chael Sonnen

Thats enough to start.

Great! My favorites in your list are highlighted. I'm just a big Randy mark.

As for Igor v. Crocop - was it competitive before the death kick? Was Igor landing as well? I don't remember.

Little Nog vs Shogun
Little Nog vs Alistair Overeem II
Yves Edwards vs Joachim Hansen
Robbie Lawler vs Rory Mcdonald II
Tyron Woodley vs Wonderboy

Great! My favorites in your list are highlighted. I'm just a big Randy mark.

As for Igor v. Crocop - was it competitive before the death kick? Was Igor landing as well? I don't remember.
It was a competitve fight,it was just short. I think Mirko went for the kick at a slight lull in the action. A dangerous fight for both men where one mistake meant death. Igor had sort of hesitated for a moment and it spelt doom. This was Samurai shit.

Tyron Woodley vs Wonderboy

That was a great fight, and Wonderboy displayed a lot of acumen, but Woodley just seemed so one-note in his skills. He got the draw because of a powerful overhand, basically.

It was a competitve fight,it was just short. I think Mirko went for the kick at a slight lull in the action. A dangerous fight for both men where one mistake meant death. Igor had sort of hesitated for a moment and it spelt doom. This was Samurai shit.
Wow! I am a huge Igor fan, so I am going to have to see this again. Can you recall similarly competitive fights were Igor came out on top?

That was a great fight, and Wonderboy displayed a lot of acumen, but Woodley just seemed so one-note in his skills. He got the draw because of a powerful overhand, basically.

He has to be given credit that his one note kept Wonderboy from teeing off with combinations. Wonderboy had to pot shot to keep his head on his shoulders. Alot of respect there from both men for good reason.

Nick Diaz vs Karo Parysian
Tyson Griffin vs Clay Guida
Diego Sanchez vs Clay Guida was a good fight
Josh Thomson vs Hermes Franca
Yves Edwards vs Hermes
For leg kicks Keith Jardine vs Wilson Govueia(sp?)
Fedor vs Arlovski
I enjoyed some Shonie Carter fights in old KOTC DVDs Carter vs. Vasconsuelos was an entertaining fight with an amusing conclusion.

David Louiseau vs Evan Tanner
Torres vs Mizugaki

after learning about Couture's dominance in wrestling, seeing his fight with Van Arsdale was entertaining.
Also Couture vs Vera and Vera vs Jardine if he wants to see a robbery

Last edited:
Robbie Lawler vs Rory Mcdonald II

Unquestionably a skilled and competitive fight between two masters, but also so savage and gory I hesitate to show it to my intended audience. She's 13. :) Maybe when she's a little older...

He has to be given credit that his one note kept Wonderboy from teeing off with combinations. Wonderboy had to pot shot to keep his head on his shoulders. Alot of respect there from both men for good reason.
You have a point there.

Wow! I am a huge Igor fan, so I am going to have to see this again. Can you recall similarly competitive fights were Igor came out on top?
Not like that one really. He usually dominated fighters until he got to the elites,and then he would lose. The mirko fight was something a bit different in that here was an elite level fighter that wasnt going to take igor down...so it was a dangerous one hit ko shoot out between the two men. Unfortunatley we never got to see more of those.

Jones vs Gustafsson and Aldo vs Mendes 2 are great examples of a close, technical fight imo

Not like that one really. He usually dominated fighters until he got to the elites,and then he would lose. The mirko fight was something a bit different in that here was an elite level fighter that wasnt going to take igor down...so it was a dangerous one hit ko shoot out between the two men. Unfortunatley we never got to see more of those.
Yup, it's what I remember as well. Igor just straight up murdering guys. When I first got into MMA, those KOs were so sweet to see.

Back