Help Picking New Gloves

BoxingGirl

White Belt
Reaction score
So I need some advise as to what glove is better for what I'm looking for. Right now I have pinned it down to two gloves I'm looking at the Rival Elite Bag Gloves and the Rival Ultra Bag Gloves. I have heard good things about Rival and the quality of their product. I'm 5'3 and about 109lbs, I do a lot of mitt work and different bag work during the week. I'm looking for a good gloves that will protect my wrist, as usually by the end of the week my wrists are sore. I do use hand wraps to help. Currently I use a pair of Everlast gloves I got from Olympia Sports, but now that I do a lot more training I would like to get a better pair. Any help would be appreciated.

Gonzaginator mentioned in his review of one of the Rival gloves that things improved for him when he went to shorter hand wraps, in all gloves. Definitely something worth experimenting with in your current gloves to see if that offers you any improvement. If it does, it would suggest you're better off going for the cheaper pair (assuming equal durability).

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f67/rival-rb20-14oz-bag-gloves-1158822/
http://ratethisgear.com/?p=449

There appear to be durability issues with the RB20. The RB1 doesnt have any of those issues though, so I'd go with the Ultra bag gloves.

Gonzaginator mentioned in his review of one of the Rival gloves that things improved for him when he went to shorter hand wraps, in all gloves.
I'm guessing that Gonzaginator was having knuckle issues because he was laying it on too thick and in such a way that his knuckles were pushing up against the glove constantly. I cant imagine how using too much wrap could lead to sore wrists unless you were doing something incredibly stupid with it.

I'd recommend thai brands but thats just me, fairtex hasn't done me wrong yet

she's looking for good wrist support, idk what the Rival's are like but the Fairtex are probably not going to be any better in that department than the cheap Everlast's she has.

i would suggest getting a different glove. The elite bag gloves wont be too tight arround your wrist. They also dont keep your wrist in a very secure position. I think the elites and rs2v gloves were designed to have wrist suuport that hugs your wrist (however, they have big hand compartments/wrist closure...), but doesnt realy keep them in a cast like position. What i mean is you can still bend your wrist in those gloves.

the hayabusa bag gloves would be a great choice for you. great wrist support, and harder padding then the rivals.

LadyKiller how are you liking the pair of gloves you got? I think part of my issue is the way I wrap my wrists, going to have to view some of the videos posted on different ways to wrap. My other issue is the pair of gloves I have are the cheap gloves you get at a major sports stores. So looking for ones that will aide in keeping my wrists in a proper position when I hit the bag. I saw these rival ones with the wrist technology but I'm totally open for their suggestions.

LadyKiller how are you liking the pair of gloves you got? I think part of my issue is the way I wrap my wrists, going to have to view some of the videos posted on different ways to wrap. My other issue is the pair of gloves I have are the cheap gloves you get at a major sports stores. So looking for ones that will aide in keeping my wrists in a proper position when I hit the bag. I saw these rival ones with the wrist technology but I'm totally open for their suggestions.

how many inches are the handwraps? I weigh 108, 5'3 as well. I find that the Thai gloves have better wrist support than Mexican style gloves but ultimately, any other brand is better than $30 everlasts, if this is what you like, be ready to spend $80 and up for a quality glove.

I can recommend the RB1 gloves, they offer great wrist support and top notch protection - if you order direct from Rival and they send you a damaged/defective item, they will blame you for it.

rival is a good choice! i have two pairs of their gloves and they work great!

I can recommend the RB1 gloves, they offer great wrist support and top notch protection - if you order direct from Rival and they send you a damaged/defective item, they will blame you for it.

I laughed...

I actually just got my Boons yesterday. I haven't gone any rounds with them yet (can update you tomorrow, if you'd like) but, in terms of fit, they're a world of difference from the crap Everlast ones I had before. I have small wrists and hands so support is super-important for me; the wrist feels locked in place almost, and the hand compartment is snug and comfortable. I'm really happy I went with them.

I got 12 oz. for bag and light sparring (I haven't done hard sparring yet) but if you're looking for strictly a bag glove, 10 oz should work fine. LRjiujitsu's suggestion is also a good one to check out, too; haven't tried Hayabusas yet personally but, as a budding gear head, will probably soon. :wink:

If you get Boons, you should get them from kstargear. Their response-time is really fast if you have questions; I placed my order on Weds afternoon and got them Sat., which was pretty sweet.

Also, 180" Mexican handwraps are the way to go. I was using 108" Everlast ones at first and.... yea, no.

Last edited:
I actually just got my Boons yesterday. I haven't gone any rounds with them yet (can update you tomorrow, if you'd like) but, in terms of fit, they're a world of difference from the crap Everlast ones I had before. I have small wrists and hands so support is super-important for me; the wrist feels locked in place almost, and the hand compartment is snug and comfortable. I'm really happy I went with them.

I got 12 oz. for bag and light sparring (I haven't done hard sparring yet) but if you're looking for strictly a bag glove, 10 oz should work fine. LRjiujitsu's suggestion is also a good one to check out, too; haven't tried Hayabusas yet personally but, as a budding gear head, will probably soon. :wink:

If you get Boons, you should get them from kstargear. Their response-time is really fast if you have questions; I placed my order on Weds afternoon and got them Sat., which was pretty sweet.

Also, 180" Mexican handwraps are the way to go. I was using 108" Everlast ones at first and.... yea, no.

glad u took my other suggestion on the 12oz boons for light sparring/drills and stuff. but yeah, if you get the money for a glove to only be used on the bag or 1 on 1 private pad sessions, i loveee the 10oz hayabusas. super light and protective

you may also want to try different size wraps. I use 180 sometimes, but im also just fine using 140's. I actualy like the 120 combat sports mma wraps (they're not as wide) more then any other wrap. i have small hands and 180's can get combersome.

If you could ya let me know how you like those gloves it would be great. Right now I'm looking into hayabusa ones as well. LRjuijitsu I use 180 wraps, think I will try the mexican 180 wraps see how they feel.

If you could ya let me know how you like those gloves it would be great. Right now I'm looking into hayabusa ones as well. LRjuijitsu I use 180 wraps, think I will try the mexican 180 wraps see how they feel.

Mexican style wraps are definitely the way to go and I also recommend the Hayabusa's. Although, I have no experience with the Hayabusa bag gloves, I have a pair of Hayabusa Pro sparring gloves and they offer excellent wrist protection. I'm also assuming that you have small hands and if the bag gloves are anything like the Pro sparring gloves, then the fit will be excellent as well for you.

you may also want to try different size wraps. I use 180 sometimes, but im also just fine using 140's. I actualy like the 120 combat sports mma wraps (they're not as wide) more then any other wrap. i have small hands and 180's can get combersome.

Where did you get 140's? I like the CSI MMA wraps as well but I feel they are just a tad bit too short.

So I ordered a pair of the Hayabusa Tokushu gloves. I did some more research on these gloves and also looked at some people reviews of them on this forum and they all seem to say the samething. That the gloves are good quality and are great for support of the wrist, especially since I do have really small hands and wrists. Looks like they come in next week, wished I would get them sooner. I also viewed some of the videos on this forum posted on different ways to wrap your hand wraps, so going to give one of these new ways a try for class tonight. Hopefully that will help a bit even with my old gloves. Will let you know how the new gloves feel when they come in.

Back