Help with Wrestling Technique

Tony40

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
My son is trying to work on his technique in the off season, but I don't know enough to help him with what he needs to work on. I heard a coach say he's heavy on his feet and another say that he needs to keep his wrestling tighter, but I'm not sure what that means! Any advice would be appreciated!

Random question... but, your son (blue singlet?), nearly pinned his opponent, yet the ref makes him go into partere/bottom riding position when the whistle blows, why? I would have thought a restart (from standing) or even a partere/riding position for blue singlet.

Random question... but, your son (blue singlet?), nearly pinned his opponent, yet the ref makes him go into partere/bottom riding position when the whistle blows, why? I would have thought a restart (from standing) or even a partere/riding position for blue singlet.
I'm sorry, I should have said my son is the one in the yellow singlet!

When it comes to kids improving I say the most helpful thing by far is drill, drill, drill, drill. Focus on developing a good shot by drilling for reps. Kids seem to respond well to the simplistic approach and their efforts wont be diluted by trying to get better at a bunch of different things. The improved strength, conditioning, and confidence gained from this will have far reaching effects. Obviously he should practice wrestling as a whole but I think he should spend his extra time working on just 1 or 2 drills.

I have coached a lot of wrestlers to a super high level as well as competed at a high level and this is my advice:

Straight away I can tell 2 things:
Your son will have a significant strength advantage over most kids he wrestles. I can tell this right away because he naturally goes straight to upper body wrestling when he doesnt have to because he is stronger and it gives him an advantage. He also adopts top moves that require prolonged power output. These moves are used by stronger guys.

Your son does not have much top skill and it gets him in a lot of trouble. He is really clueless and gave away the match from top.

My advice to you would be get him a single move from top that is less finesse and more power. This could be something like an armbar, cradle, or half, but he has to find his own unique way to do it. Help him gain the basics of what not to do from top that will take him from a sure win to a loss.

Drill and wrestle from upper body ties and double down on your defense from open. This way he gains the advantage in point scoring from neutral and minimizes the time he can be attacked where he doesnt have such a big advantage.

Forget what his coach said about being heavy on his feet. Power guys are always heavy on their feet. Brandon Slay was a pure power guy and an Olympic champ who didnt move much. He didnt wrestle like John Smith who was all finesse and speed and light footed. In wrestling, super well rounded doesnt get you to the top; you have to embrace very specific advantages and build them up so that they can overcome other guys super specialized advantages. Power throwers and power riders are some of the scariest guys to wrestle because they always have a chance to win no matter what the score is. Its a style that you have to have very unique strength and very unique risk analysis.

I’m line with Holts advice, I had a lot of powerful strong kids last year and this is what I used with a lot of success

Back