Movies Henry Cavill vs. Christopher Reeve - Who played Superman the best?

Who played Superman the best?

• Total voters
Tough to say. I think for their time each was right choice for superman. If you flip flopped the actor in each other's movies you'd think they both sucked.

Reeves, but he also had MUCH better material to work with. Henry Cavill had a lot of promise and even some great moments, but nobody was going to save the "dark and gritty era" take on the charater.

Not only was Reeve better, I can’t even imagine anyone playing Superman and Clark Kent better than him. People debate over who’s the best Batman and Bruce Wayne, but Reeve IS Superman.
Why's there any debate over Batman/Bruce Wayne when Clearly Kevin Conroy R.I.P. is the best. And Mark Hamill is the G.O.A.T Joker.

Agree. But would maybe argue Smallville and Superman and Lois are both better thsn any Superman movie other than 2.

I still remember seeing g Superman 2 in the movies at a Clash of Titans Superman 2 double feature at Drive in as a kid.

I'm old
It's because they try to cram as much as possible into movies... shows allow for more flexibility

I don't think Henry Cavill played a particularly good Superman. He wasn't bad or anything, but nothing special.

Gotta pick Reeve, but I did like Cavill as well.

I don't know of anyone who could out-do Chris Reeve as Superman.

Cavill is a cool dude, and he did a fine job as Superman. No one compares to Reeve as Superman.

Reeve, but Henry had an uphill battle with the script and direction. Could've been a great Superman under a different vision.

While I’m a massive Cavill fan. You just can’t compare to Reeves Superman.

His ability to go from Clark Kent to Supes is just unrivaled.

Judging entirely by appearance & acting performance and not the scripts & movies -

Cavill takes it, IMHO, and I knew it wouldn't be a popular opinion.

Cavill is one of the few '10/10 castings' for comic book characters over the last 25 years. He actually made me care about Superman for the first time in my life, who I just have never cared about whatsoever. He's an uncomplicated boyscout, but Cavill's performance brought an interesting depth to the character never seen on screen.

Love Reeve, but Cavill surpasses him.

OIP.oazWgJe_T_J4JFORtQkqJgAAAA

Judging entirely by appearance & acting performance and not the scripts & movies -

Cavill takes it, IMHO, and I knew it wouldn't be a popular opinion.

Cavill is one of the few '10/10 castings' for comic book characters over the last 25 years. He actually made me care about Superman for the first time in my life, who I just have never cared about whatsoever. He's an uncomplicated boyscout, but Cavill's performance brought an interesting depth to the character never seen on screen.

Love Reeve, but Cavill surpasses him.

I feel this thing is nuanced in terms of what interpretation of Superman and even Clark Kent someone might have and prefer.

Reeves depiction fits the more classic boy scout Superman and bumbling Clark Kent interpretation.

But the more contemporary interpretations do have Superman and Clark Kent depictions being more complex with more "edge" and this more so matches Cavill's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back