Herniated Disk -- Do they ever Heal?

I am in the same boat. Injury was healing nicely. No shot, just PT, meds, etc. went back to training for about a month, things going well then got too intense and reinjured, only this time worse. Will be more than happy to keep you guys updated. Wish me luck!

That's how things went with me, i would start feeling a little better, get back to training a little harder and bam, fucked up again. I went from having bulging discs to fragmented discs in no time. The thing about physical therapy is that it actually made the symptoms worse, the pain, numbness, and tingling jumped sides and gained intensity. The main problem i have rolling is that i'll get stingers that not only completely scare the shit out of me like i'm paralyzed, after getting thrown or taken down hard I gotta stop and assess the mobility in my limbs. But the most common thing is for my arm to go completely numb and my hand will curl up tight as shit. It's hard to roll with just one arm.

That's how things went with me, i would start feeling a little better, get back to training a little harder and bam, fucked up again. I went from having bulging discs to fragmented discs in no time. The thing about physical therapy is that it actually made the symptoms worse, the pain, numbness, and tingling jumped sides and gained intensity. The main problem i have rolling is that i'll get stingers that not only completely scare the shit out of me like i'm paralyzed, after getting thrown or taken down hard I gotta stop and assess the mobility in my limbs. But the most common thing is for my arm to go completely numb and my hand will curl up tight as shit. It's hard to roll with just one arm.

Glad I'm not the only one that PT made worse. I really thing it was the deep heat thingy. Same thing the chiro used. And even though my ortho guy said based on the MRI, the herniation was in a location that ice/heat wouldn't really have much affect, when I would get into the hot shower I could feel the pain almost immediatedly.

I am in the same boat. Injury was healing nicely. No shot, just PT, meds, etc. went back to training for about a month, things going well then got too intense and reinjured, only this time worse. Will be more than happy to keep you guys updated. Wish me luck!

Well me I didn't even make it back to BJJ this time. Started a little cardio at the gym on Sunday and Monday and now my pain is back a little more than it was before.

And while I'm not sure if I buy into Sarno or not, both of my herniations have come on right before I was going to return to BJJ. The first time, I had been out 6-8 weeks for a knee sprain. Literally, the night before I was going to go back to classes, I had my herniation in my sleep.

This time, I had been dealing with slight neck pain since Sept. and babying it. It had started to get better, and blew up the week I was going to return. And now pain starts to get better and was actually contemplating going to open mat this Saturday and now my pain is coming back. But based on Sarno, I don't know why I would be doing this subconsciously. Nothing stressful about returning to class.

Can you update us on how good/bad it is?? I'm going back to the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow. Since my pain is getting a little worse I'm sure that's going to be his next recommendation (it was last time, but at that time I was getting better so I never got the shot).

I just got done with my second epidural cortisone shot. It doesn't hurt and has made a big difference. For reference, I have 3 bugling discs in my neck, 2 of them are suffering from disc degeneration, I have 2 pinched nerves and a mild case of stenosis. I have been losing strength in my right arm, that I was unaware of, and my thumb, index and middle finger and parts of my hand were tingling and going numb. Since my injections the tingling and numbness have gone away. I have been doing PT as well. I go for a follow up with my Ortho on Monday.

I just got done with my second epidural cortisone shot. It doesn't hurt and has made a big difference. For reference, I have 3 bugling discs in my neck, 2 of them are suffering from disc degeneration, I have 2 pinched nerves and a mild case of stenosis. I have been losing strength in my right arm, that I was unaware of, and my thumb, index and middle finger and parts of my hand were tingling and going numb. Since my injections the tingling and numbness have gone away. I have been doing PT as well. I go for a follow up with my Ortho on Monday.

So you make it sound as though results are just temporary? Much like getting a cortisone shot in the knee? I was hoping for more of a permanent thing. Also, I was under the impression I would be getting an epidural of predisone. Could I be mistaken or do they use both depending on the case??

So you make it sound as though results are just temporary? Much like getting a cortisone shot in the knee? I was hoping for more of a permanent thing. Also, I was under the impression I would be getting an epidural of predisone. Could I be mistaken or do they use both depending on the case??

It is only temporary and just like getting a cortisone shot in the knee and I used cortisone as an all encompassing term, not sure of the exact steroid that put in me. They use it to get the swelling in the nerve root down to take away the pain and numbness so you can start doing PT without all that pain.

thanks man...were the anti-inflammatories prescribed or otc?

I took 600 mg of ibuprofen 4 times a day, or 800 mg 3 times a day. I had a prescription.

I don't know if taking 3-4 over the counter Advils/ibuprofen will do the same thing. Maybe someone else knows?

Good luck and be careful rolling.

I'm currently on prescription anti-inflammitories. Diclofenic 50 Mg twice a day. Not sure how it stacks up against ibuprofin.

I took 600 mg of ibuprofen 4 times a day, or 800 mg 3 times a day. I had a prescription.

I don't know if taking 3-4 over the counter Advils/ibuprofen will do the same thing. Maybe someone else knows?

Good luck and be careful rolling.

wow, how long have you been taking them? I just cant see consistent intake of ibuprofen being good for you. I'm currently not rolling and have been back in the weight room for a few months....strongest Ive been with DDD ever. Im real glad to hear your stories guys..this crap depressed the hell out of me and its good to know there are others still training.

Did you guys get your herniated disks from grappling, or was it from something else?

wow, how long have you been taking them? I just cant see consistent intake of ibuprofen being good for you. I'm currently not rolling and have been back in the weight room for a few months....strongest Ive been with DDD ever. Im real glad to hear your stories guys..this crap depressed the hell out of me and its good to know there are others still training.

I took them for about a year. i don't take anything anymore.

Did you guys get your herniated disks from grappling, or was it from something else?

To the best of my knowledge, it's unrelated to grappling. My first one, I had actually been taking a break from training due to a sprained knee. I had been out about 6 weeks. This time I had been mild pain since about September. I had been doing everything I normally do, except BJJ and any stuff at the gym and it blew up. But disc problems seem to be rampant in out sport so maybe I had done something and it was like a delayed reaction or something.

Just remembered...the doc also suggested cut down on booze. I didnt drink much when i was diagnosed...but do now. Any thoughts?

Just remembered...the doc also suggested cut down on booze. I didnt drink much when i was diagnosed...but do now. Any thoughts?

Guess it's not bad advice, but I don't drink AT ALL and I'm on my 2nd herniation in 3 years.

Went to my orthopedic guy today with MRI in hand. Got good news and bad news.

First, my herniation from 3 years ago is still there and doesn't appear to have reabsorbed.

Secondly, the herniation that is giving me issues now is pretty severe.

The good news is that as bad as my current herniation is, it's not affecting as much as it should. Not losing strength or anything like that. The bad news?? No full contact sports (ie BJJ, MT, etc.) He did refer me to another doctor for a consultation regarding a disc replacement, etc. and a second opinion.

Now I'm trying to decide should I give up BJJ completely, ignore doctor's orders and resume to training, or limit my BJJ to just learning techniques. I'm just not sure how fulfilling that last option would be. Also, while I understand that it's the journey, it would probably limit my belt progression. Even if I ever did earn my black belt, I could never feel like I truly deserved it w/o being able to roll.

Got my 1st epidural injection today. wish I had done this two months ago. feel way better. So far only have taken 1 vicodin. Doc said to stay away from all physical activity for 10 days. No problem there. I will do WHATEVER IT TAKES to get my old life back. I am only 45, almost 46, so I have my whole life to train. A few weeks, month, year even, is a drop in the bucket compared to a lifetime.

I had cervical fusion done in May of 2008, here is my short story.

In march of 2008, I won the gi and no gi 190 - 199 division of local tournament here in myrtle beach, south carolina. Things couldn't be better right...I am pretty sure I am about to get my blue after defeating multiple blues in the tournament. I wake up the next morning with a pain I have never felt. This pain is so bad that I can not get into my car without the feeling of a knife being stabbed in my neck. I go and see an ortho a couple weeks later after the pain has only gotten worse. My mother has had three lower back surgeries and DDD (degenerative disc disease, common) has happened at an accelerated pace, 22 at the time. I had surgery in a couple months later, two level C6 C7, C7 C8. It has been about a year and a half since the surgery and I feel okay. I have not rolled or been to a bjj class since the last match I won in that tournament. I wish I didn't have surgery but to be honest, I doubt anything else would of fixed my problem. It was quite extreme. It was so shocking how you can wake up with an injury that was always there but you never fully realized. After the surgery, my doctor told me that one of my disc was just totally crumbled and that he was shocked I didn't have symptoms before the onset. I don't feel like I have full range of motion or maybe I am just very out of shape at the moment. I was a wrestler at a small college and would most likely have to totally change my game if I go back to BJJ. Anyways, hope you enjoyed my wall of text.

In march of 2008, I won the gi and no gi 190 - 199 division of local tournament here in myrtle beach, south carolina. Things couldn't be better right...I am pretty sure I am about to get my blue after defeating multiple blues in the tournament. I wake up the next morning with a pain I have never felt. This pain is so bad that I can not get into my car without the feeling of a knife being stabbed in my neck. I go and see an ortho a couple weeks later after the pain has only gotten worse. My mother has had three lower back surgeries and DDD (degenerative disc disease, common) has happened at an accelerated pace, 22 at the time. I had surgery in a couple months later, two level C6 C7, C7 C8. It has been about a year and a half since the surgery and I feel okay. I have not rolled or been to a bjj class since the last match I won in that tournament. I wish I didn't have surgery but to be honest, I doubt anything else would of fixed my problem. It was quite extreme. It was so shocking how you can wake up with an injury that was always there but you never fully realized. After the surgery, my doctor told me that one of my disc was just totally crumbled and that he was shocked I didn't have symptoms before the onset. I don't feel like I have full range of motion or maybe I am just very out of shape at the moment. I was a wrestler at a small college and would most likely have to totally change my game if I go back to BJJ. Anyways, hope you enjoyed my wall of text.

I lost some range of motion after my first herniation. I didn't quite realize it till I took some swimming lessons (yes, I'm an almost 41 yo man who can't swim) and couldn't do the stroke the instructor was asking of me. I also realized it when I couldn't do a full back bridge. I wasn't sure at first. Much like you I thought I just might be out of shape.

hey bro any insight on why you wish you didnt do the surgery?

Back