Home cooked meals vs. restaurants.. which is better?

I mean I generally only.go to restaurants for stuff I cant cook myself.

In your life so far, which has been better tasting meals for you? Home cooked or restaurant food?

I'll go with home cooked. I've been to some pretty expensive restaurants, but nothing beats home cooked meals, especially during holidays such as Thanksgiving, when the family goes all out on making the best shit they can.

Friday night? I'd been saving up shrimp skins in the freezer when I make shrimp tacos for a while to make proper seafood stock, and did (yes I'm blowing my own trumpet) mind blowing shrimp risotto with scallops.
Not many things I can say I'm really good at, but I would have happily paid $30 for that. I'm a better cook than most meals I eat out.

Again, not much I'm great at, but cooking, I really am.

High end restaurant food is arguably the best but that shit gets boring after a while.

I'll take home cooked over your average restaurant all day.

The chef wiped his ass not long before sprinkling some cayenne pepper on your salmon. Keep that in mind.

Restaurants..

Hunger is a non issue for me and i prefer to spend the least amount of time and energy on food..

A year ago I'd say restaurant. But, I have invested in learning to cook and grill recently. Now it's a toss up. I'd put my reverse seared Ribeyes up against any restaurants with confidence.

depends on the cuisine.. my wife and i cook the majority of our meals and it's better than most restaurants..

but we let a sushi chef do his thing when we go omakase

All depends on the type of food we're talking about.
Italian restaurants can't compete with my pasta dishes. I'll also out smoke 95% of bbq joints I've tried.
But even a cheap Chinese buffet does better Asian food than me.
Been to a couple steakhouses that are hard to compete with, I've done maybe 1 steak that can compare.
All in all, I love cooking, and it usually reflects in the end result.

It's sort of apples and oranges to me.

Objectively nobody in my family cooks anything as good as the better restaurant meals I've had.

But that home cooked food is a whole other experience. Nothing compares to family gatherings where we have all the usual stuff - potato salad, raw fish salad, creamed paua (abalone), stuffing the way my mum makes it.

home cooked. my 1st ex wife was amazing in the kitchen, my 2nd wife however couldn't cook or fuck to save her life lol.

I learned being with a woman who cant cook is a waste of time.

Back