Hook Kick Progression

SandaKicker

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

Working on some hook kicks in the gym. I considered calling the YT video hook kick progression but that would have implied some detectable progression in the video.

At the minute I think I’m not leading enough with a side kick type shape on the spinning hook kick and instead flailing my leg up from the ground.

That’s my main problem I think, I have seen people claim you should only do a spinning hook kick with a straight leg but the chance of timing that in competition seems incredibly low if your opponent moves.

I don’t take any of these moves that seriously and none are “go to” moves.

I think the spinning hook kick is the better of the two but I’ve not completely abandoned the hook kick because of the below clip, I’m less clear on the right technique for that;

I also consider these a fun way to exercise and workout. I know several people who are into “tricking” who practise this kind of thing without having any interest in combat sports.

Your spinning movement is too big/wide. Yet you kick too soon into the move.

Making it into a weird spinning back kick with a hook

I’ve heard people say that I’m doing it too wide before, I think it’s because I’m bringing the kicking leg up from the ground, rather than chambering with a motion that initially resembles a spinning side kick.

Yeah. And you start to kick way too early

I have trained with a taekwondo instructor in summer camp a few years ago and was very insterested in that kick.

He does it like this:
Pivot
Turn and chamber hook kick
Than bring out as if your snapping a round kick backwards
And you know the rest.

That's his way of doing it your trained in Sanda though don't they practice that kick?

Shamelessly plugging my old shit. Learn the whipping motion and the follow through from the first version. The hook in the hook kick is primarily in the hip joint. After this advance to the second version, which utilizes hooking the knee as well in ADDITION to the hip hook. The front leg hook kick or the hook kick without the spin is not part of progression of the spinning hook kick, this should be kept in mind. Two separate techniques.

Working on some hook kicks in the gym. I considered calling the YT video hook kick progression but that would have implied some detectable progression in the video.

At the minute I think I’m not leading enough with a side kick type shape on the spinning hook kick and instead flailing my leg up from the ground.

That’s my main problem I think, I have seen people claim you should only do a spinning hook kick with a straight leg but the chance of timing that in competition seems incredibly low if your opponent moves.

I don’t take any of these moves that seriously and none are “go to” moves.

I think the spinning hook kick is the better of the two but I’ve not completely abandoned the hook kick because of the below clip, I’m less clear on the right technique for that;

I also consider these a fun way to exercise and workout. I know several people who are into “tricking” who practise this kind of thing without having any interest in combat sports.

good stuff dude, not MT kicks so I cant comment much on them but I know they are effective.

Your spinning movement is too big/wide. Yet you kick too soon into the move.

Making it into a weird spinning back kick with a hook

im gonna have to post myself doing some spinning shit too so you guys can tell me what im doing wrong. After getting ingrained in myself for basically my whole life to never turn your back, its damn hard to learn spinning moves. The bottle cap challenge was pretty easy, but I dont think its quite the same as doing it for real.

im gonna have to post myself doing some spinning shit too so you guys can tell me what im doing wrong. After getting ingrained in myself for basically my whole life to never turn your back, its damn hard to learn spinning moves. The bottle cap challenge was pretty easy, but I dont think its quite the same as doing it for real.

First one is the more traditional version found in most kicking styles like karate, Taekwondo and kung fu.

The 2nd clip is the one from muay thai.

Long fist, wing chun, and this small hybrid local style in chumphon Thailand called han man krapaan.

First one is the more traditional version found in most kicking styles like karate, Taekwondo and kung fu.

The 2nd clip is the one from muay thai.

nice, 2nd one looks a bit more powerful, first one you threw, is very smooth and fluid, can tell that you can throw it easily.

Back