Hopkins: "If I am white I'd be on every billboard and milk carton in America."

Yeah, I always loved it when he'd get on the radio with Howard Eskin.

I'm wondering now if I can pull his show up live on the internet. One of the most entertaining d-bags ever. lol.

Eskin got replaced a couple of years ago. Mikey Miss started beating him the ratings so got bumped out. Anthony Gargano got his spot.

Eskin got replaced a couple of years ago. Mikey Miss started beating him the ratings so got bumped out. Anthony Gargano got his spot.

No shit? Eskin was the man. Never heard of Mikey Miss. Gargano was good. He's the guy that calls everyone 'cuz? Much less caustic than Howard. Eskin was probably a love/hate for most everyone though. lol.

One of the only times I heard Eskin get "rocked" a little was when a caller made a funny comment about Howard referring to himself as the king. Eskin had been out and about with his fur coat (and bragging on air) and this was right about the time of the Burger King ad campaign with their king. So the caller just laughed at him and called him Burger King. Now that I think about it, Eskin reminds me of JvS. :eek:

th

th

When I read "Hopkins" I immediately thought of Anthony Hopkins and so you can imagine I was a little confused at first. Of course I then thought of Bhop and that made more sense but imagining Anthony Hopkins saying that makes me chuckle

Hold up Mods, this isn't a Trojan Horse of a "StormFront thread." My last thread on race went just fine...so don't lock this so soon.

This thread was started in the boxing forum, but I want to ask my War Room Brethren their thoughts on this..

This Saturday, Living Legend Bernard Hopkins will face a much younger, Russian Killer (literally, a killer, he has killed someone in the ring). Hopkins is a phenomenal talent that has truly defied time.

Hopkins is known for his controversial remarks, he recently said this

n an exclusive interview with ESPN.com, Hopkins was asked the reason his record-setting run in recent years hasn't transcended the sport.

"[It's] because I'm black," Hopkins said before the start of his media workout at the Joe Hand Boxing Gym. "What do you think if my name was Augustine, Herzenstein, Stern? Cappello? Marciano? Don't you understand the conflict of interest?

"If I was any of those names of any other background, I'd be on every billboard and every milk carton and every place to be. If we're talking 'American Dream,' here's a guy who almost threw his life away and he took this great country's great attributes and used it -- do for self, work hard and be a law-abiding citizen. I've done that for 26 years."

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id...scended-boxing

Agree, disagree? Do you think Bhop isn't getting the attention he believes he deserves because of his race?

Yes, I agree. A white guy can sell more milk cartons than a black dude.

No shit? Eskin was the man. Never heard of Mikey Miss. Gargano was good. He's the guy that calls everyone 'cuz? Much less caustic than Howard. Eskin was probably a love/hate for most everyone though. lol.

One of the only times I heard Eskin get "rocked" a little was when a caller made a funny comment about Howard referring to himself as the king. Eskin had been out and about with his fur coat (and bragging on air) and this was right about the time of the Burger King ad campaign with their king. So the caller just laughed at him and called him Burger King. Now that I think about it, Eskin reminds me of JvS. :eek:

th

th

Eskin and Mikey Miss were actually on the air together for a little while and they fucking hated each other. They're both blowhards.

Eventually they couldn't work together anymore and Mike ended up with Gargano (The Cuz guy) on the mid day show.

They were out at an event and Mike got into an argument with the producer and ended up beating him up so he got fired after that. He went up to NY with Stephen A Smith for a bit and came back down to take over afternoon drive for the B sports station. Howard had been number in the slot since he's been on the air but Mikey Miss took the lead about 2-3 years ago and Eskin got shown the door.

Eskin and Mikey Miss were actually on the air together for a little while and they fucking hated each other. They're both blowhards.

Eventually they couldn't work together anymore and Mike ended up with Gargano (The Cuz guy) on the mid day show.

They were out at an event and Mike got into an argument with the producer and ended up beating him up so he got fired after that. He went up to NY with Stephen A Smith for a bit and came back down to take over afternoon drive for the B sports station. Howard had been number in the slot since he's been on the air but Mikey Miss took the lead about 2-3 years ago and Eskin got shown the door.

Ahhhhh. Howard never had a partner when I listened (figuring it was obviously because everyone at the station hated him based on how blatantly they talked shit about him). I'm trying to remember Gargano's partner and I can't. If that was Mike and he ended up crushing Eskin then I'm pretty shocked. Howard probably figured the "nit-wits" were too stupid to change the channel. :icon_lol:

The morning show was always the real joy. Cataldi is just such a great buffoon. The guy they'd have come on and just light him up with insults was awesome. Every other sentence he was calling Angelo a big fat pig. And overall Rhea complemented his shtick perfectly.

Ahhhhh. Howard never had a partner when I listened (figuring it was obviously because everyone at the station hated him based on how blatantly they talked shit about him). I'm trying to remember Gargano's partner and I can't. If that was Mike and he ended up crushing Eskin then I'm pretty shocked. Howard probably figured the "nit-wits" were too stupid to change the channel. :icon_lol:

The morning show was always the real joy. Cataldi is just such a great buffoon. The guy they'd have come on and just light him up with insults was awesome. Every other sentence he was calling Angelo a big fat pig. And overall Rhea complemented his shtick perfectly.

Yeah no one could work with Howard lol. When Mike started beating him they tried to pair him up with Ike Reese but Ike is terrible lol.

Not sure how long you were listening to the station but Mike started off on the air paired with Steve Fredricks who was great. Gargano was paired with Glenn Macnow for a while too.

The morning show is hilarious. Cataldi is an idiot (or at least he pretends to be). The guy who does all the impersonations is Joe Conklin. Rhea is good but my favorite on that show is Al Morganti (He used to do ESPN hockey before the lockout.)

Yeah no one could work with Howard lol. When Mike started beating him they tried to pair him up with Ike Reese but Ike is terrible lol.

Not sure how long you were listening to the station but Mike started off on the air paired with Steve Fredricks who was great. Gargano was paired with Glenn Macnow for a while too.

The morning show is hilarious. Cataldi is an idiot (or at least he pretends to be). The guy who does all the impersonations is Joe Conklin. Rhea is good but my favorite on that show is Al Morganti (He used to do ESPN hockey before the lockout.)

My apologies to TS for using the thread for a trip down memory lane. But let's face it, the thread wasn't really going places.

Throughout most of the 2000's if I was in my car I was listening to WIP. I just had to check the site and I see many of the hosts have remained the same. Thanks for reminding me it was Macnow with Gargano. I remember the name Steve Fredricks but (like Mike) I can't hear is voice in my head.

I can still hear Ike and I'm surprised he still has a job. Yeah, Conklin. Doesn't who do standup or some type of comedy? Al was great too. I loved how he'd sit in the background and then get all authoritative on a point and then sink back into the background. Hands down the best non-sports stuff was bringing in all the strippers to interview as wingettes. <note to self, see if they are doing podcasts with video now>.

Big Daddy was the other guy I tended to hear a lot. He was alright but I recall him having the night show and the callers were lame compared to the after work crowd that Eskin got. And good to see Keith Jones still has a job. You know a guy is a barrel of laughs when he owns a ranch named hoof-hearted. :icon_lol:

My apologies to TS for using the thread for a trip down memory lane. But let's face it, the thread wasn't really going places.

Throughout most of the 2000's if I was in my car I was listening to WIP. I just had to check the site and I see many of the hosts have remained the same. Thanks for reminding me it was Macnow with Gargano. I remember the name Steve Fredricks but (like Mike) I can't hear is voice in my head.

I can still hear Ike and I'm surprised he still has a job. Yeah, Conklin. Doesn't who do standup or some type of comedy? Al was great too. I loved how he'd sit in the background and then get all authoritative on a point and then sink back into the background. Hands down the best non-sports stuff was bringing in all the strippers to interview as wingettes. <note to self, see if they are doing podcasts with video now>.

Big Daddy was the other guy I tended to hear a lot. He was alright but I recall him having the night show and the callers were lame compared to the after work crowd that Eskin got. And good to see Keith Jones still has a job. You know a guy is a barrel of laughs when he owns a ranch named hoof-hearted. :icon_lol:

Ike is with Michael Barcann (from Comcast Sportsnet) now.

Keith Jones is good, Big Daddy does have the evening show so the only time I ever catch him is when he's filling in fr Cataldi.

Conklin does do stanup and private events but I've never heard him.

Did you ever listen to WMMR? After WIP and before NY Mike Missaneli and Conklin went to WMMR and tried to host a morning show but this was when Preston & Steve were on Y100 and I think Kidd Chris was on 94.1 WYSP. THe show was horrible (not a sports talk format) and got canned after a few months. Than Y100 switched formats and Preston & Steve whent to WMMR.

If you remember Kidd CHris he's in Cincinnati now and I listen to his show on Podcast. He has the funniest radio show in the nation.

Ike is with Michael Barcann (from Comcast Sportsnet) now.

Keith Jones is good, Big Daddy does have the evening show so the only time I ever catch him is when he's filling in fr Cataldi.

Conklin does do stanup and private events but I've never heard him.

Did you ever listen to WMMR? After WIP and before NY Mike Missaneli and Conklin went to WMMR and tried to host a morning show but this was when Preston & Steve were on Y100 and I think Kidd Chris was on 94.1 WYSP. THe show was horrible (not a sports talk format) and got canned after a few months. Than Y100 switched formats and Preston & Steve whent to WMMR.

If you remember Kidd CHris he's in Cincinnati now and I listen to his show on Podcast. He has the funniest radio show in the nation.

I stumbled across WIP when I lived in the area and never checked out any other radio stations. Between loving the morning show and loving to hate Eskin there just wasn't any reason to go elsewhere.

Finally though my bell has just been rung with "Missaneli". I still can't hear his voice but I do remember the name.

I stumbled across WIP when I lived in the area and never checked out any other radio stations. Between loving the morning show and loving to hate Eskin there just wasn't any reason to go elsewhere.

Finally though my bell has just been rung with "Missaneli". I still can't hear his voice but I do remember the name.

This is a funny read. Mike got trolled bad by a listener and it got him suspended.

http://deadspin.com/mike-missanelli-suspended-explains-himself-to-admitted-1516034934

Considering that the three boxing personalities that probably swept up the American imagination more than any others in history were Joe Louis, Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson, I can't say that I find his argument compelling. The highest paid boxer alive is black (signifying the widest PPV draw). There is a slew of black boxers who transcended the sport historically. Back when I was in high school and Sports Illustrated did a "Greatest 100 Athletes of the Century", signifying the epitome of transcendence, Ali was named #1. This floored a lot of people who expected Jordan to be #1 even then, but that shows you how transcendent black boxers (and black athletes in general) are capable of being.

He's trolling. Can't blame him, since he can't really do anything more than he's doing in the ring, but he's definitely trolling. I don't even believe that he believes what he's saying, here.

muhammed ali liked to call joe louis an uncle tom. pretty ungrateful at all the progress joe helped blacks in boxing at the time

muhammed ali liked to call joe louis an uncle tom. pretty ungrateful at all the progress joe helped blacks in boxing at the time

I never head that he called joe Louis that but he did call joe Frazier that and Frazier never forgave him.

As someone once said, when Joe Louis started Boxing, it was the only opportunity a black man had to punch a white man and not get lynched.

Probably has nothing to do with boxing not being a major sport anymore, or that time Bernard spent in Prison. I really liked this guy until right now.

Do you have a source for that? I know he rustled a bunch of people back in the day by shitting on Joe's level of competition, but I don't think he ever called him an uncle tom. He definitely said that about Frazier in the build up to their first fight.

Back