Hot take: Henry Cejudo will beat Aljamain Sterling and expose the BW division for what it is.

AmbassadorFright

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So it's something I've known for a while and even with Cejudo's inactivity, I still think he's a way better fighter than Aljamain Sterling in all aspects. Bantamweight despite being hailed as one of the best weight classes has always seemed massively overrated to me skill wise and some of the top echelon seems flat out stinky. If anything it's regressed in recent years and Aljo as a dominant champion is proof of that. This is a guy who got put on a stretched by Marlon Moraes who Cejudo took the soul of and while MMAth means very little it's something that should be stated.

Sterling struggles against people who have good fundamental grappling. The Pedro Munhoz fight was very smelly because he knew he couldn't enforce any offensive grappling and had to resort to a very ugly looking standup fight which he almost
lost.

Yan is a pure striker with little to know grappling experience and took him to a split decision. Yan has also been on the slide looking like the Yoel Romero of BW, he got battered and outstruck by number 13 Sean O'Malley and dominated by Merab "I do nothing but fail takedowns" Dvlashvilli. I also suspect Yan is an average fighter who is going to go on an extended slide so that's not an age I suspect will age well at all

The TJ Dillashaw fight, I don't really respect him for. TJ was an old unjuiced shell of himself who shouldn't have even been there and had 1 arm. He lasted until the second round against Aljo. What do you think he can do offensively to an Olympic level wrestler? Cejudo destroyed him in 10 seconds way closer to his prime.

His most impressive win is Sandhagen who while is a solid fighter is by no means championship material or the same caliber of fighter that Cejudo is. Sandhagen's competition is mostly consisting of old men or washed up fighters like TJ, Edgar and post Cejudo Marlon Moraes. His fight with Marlon "BW Masvidal" Vera was very sloppy and he took him to a split decision. Not a good look

In short I think Sterling is a temporary champion who is fortunate he's in a division where the quality of grapplers is severely lacking. All there has to offer is Umar who hasn't made his way up yet or, Merab (who is rank squatting and wasting time). I feel like the top guys at BW would be exposed in the Featherweight or Lightweight division and Cejudo would have a very easy time with most of them. Even DJ (who Sterling was studying intently in preparation for the Cejudo matchup) says Cejudo would beat Aljo. It's probably one of my most confident picks since Edwards vs Usman 2 and that worked in my favor. I just don't see the talent everyone keeps raving about and I think even an inactive Cejudo is heads and shoulders above the rest of the division.

So it's something I've known for a while and even with Cejudo's inactivity, I still think he's a way better fighter than Aljamain Sterling in all aspects. Bantamweight despite being hailed as one of the best weight classes has always seemed massively overrated to me skill wise and some of the top echelon seems flat out stinky. If anything it's regressed in recent years and Aljo as a dominant champion is proof of that. This is a guy who got put on a stretched by Marlon Moraes who Cejudo took the soul of and while MMAth means very little it's something that should be stated.

Sterling struggles against people who have good fundamental grappling. The Pedro Munhoz fight was very smelly because he knew he couldn't enforce any offensive grappling and had to resort to a very ugly looking standup fight which he almost
lost.

Yan is a pure striker with little to know grappling experience and took him to a split decision. Yan has also been on the slide looking like the Yoel Romero of BW, he got battered and outstruck by number 13 Sean O'Malley and dominated by Merab "I do nothing but fail takedowns" Dvlashvilli. I also suspect Yan is an average fighter who is going to go on an extended slide so that's not an age I suspect will age well at all

The TJ Dillashaw fight, I don't really respect him for. TJ was an old unjuiced shell of himself who shouldn't have even been there and had 1 arm. He lasted until the second round against Aljo. What do you think he can do offensively to an Olympic level wrestler? Cejudo destroyed him in 10 seconds way closer to his prime.

His most impressive win is Sandhagen who while is a solid fighter is by no means championship material or the same caliber of fighter that Cejudo is. Sandhagen's competition is mostly consisting of old men or washed up fighters like TJ, Edgar and post Cejudo Marlon Moraes. His fight with Marlon "BW Masvidal" Vera was very sloppy and he took him to a split decision. Not a good look

In short I think Sterling is a temporary champion who is fortunate he's in a division where the quality of grapplers is severely lacking. All there has to offer is Umar who hasn't made his way up yet or, Merab (who is rank squatting and wasting time). I feel like the top guys at BW would be exposed in the Featherweight or Lightweight division and Cejudo would have a very easy time with most of them. Even DJ (who Sterling was studying intently in preparation for the Cejudo matchup) says Cejudo would beat Aljo. It's probably one of my most confident picks since Edwards vs Usman 2 and that worked in my favor. I just don't see the talent everyone keeps raving about and I think even an inactive Cejudo is heads and shoulders above the rest of the division.
That's a long write-up!

Aljo.gif

You make some good points for sure. The big unknown is still how Henry will look after this long layoff

Will be good to have legitimate world champs like Jones, Cejudo and Conor by the end of 2023.

Cejudo beat Dillashaw at 125 not 135.

Cejudo did not really beat anyone at 135. You're tearing apart Marlon Moraes but that is literally 1 of 2 guys that Cejudo beat. The other was Dom Cruz who is not in his prime and has lost to a few other guys at 135. Marlon got his ass beat like two days ago and has been getting his ass beat for a very long time - if we are nit picking opponents then he's a pretty easy one to tear down. Sterling improved and aged much better in general.

Cejudo did not even really clear out 125 before he left. He didn't even beat Mighty Mouse, at least not decisively. No shame in that, but you're talking about overrated and nitpicking people's resumes yet Cejudo is quite overrated, people talk like he was this omega dominant fighter and he wasn't. He did not clear out 125 much less 135.

Cejudo did not really beat anyone at 135. You're tearing apart Marlon Moraes but that is literally 1 of 2 guys that Cejudo beat. The other was Dom Cruz who is not in his prime and has lost to a few other guys at 135.

Cejudo did not even really clear out 125 before he left. He didn't even beat Mighty Mouse, at least not decisively. No shame in that, but you're talking about overrated and nitpicking people's resumes yet Cejudo is quite overrated, people talk like he was this omega dominant fighter and he wasn't. He did not clear out 125 much less 135.
Cejudo handled Moraes and TJ far more impressively than Steling did. Beating DJ controversial or not is far more impressive than anything Aljo ever accomplished. Also, I wasn't tearing Moraes, I just said he wasn't the same after the Cejudo fight which is a blatant fact

lost.

Agree. Our Olympic hero will not fail!

I think you're wildly underrating Sterling. He's one of the best BJJ players in MMA and his wrestling is considerably better than his early days in the UFC.

Btw I am cheering for Cejudo because i can't stand Sterling. But I think it's not gonna go well for Henry.

The Bantamweight division is talented and deep. It has a bad reputation at the moment because the belt is currently held by an unapologetic fraud. It doesn't help that the real champ (who just dethroned Yan) is refusing to fight for the title because he's friends with Sterling or something. Bizarre all around.

Cejudo did not really beat anyone at 135. You're tearing apart Marlon Moraes but that is literally 1 of 2 guys that Cejudo beat. The other was Dom Cruz who is not in his prime and has lost to a few other guys at 135. Marlon got his ass beat like two days ago and has been getting his ass beat for a very long time - if we are nit picking opponents then he's a pretty easy one to tear down. Sterling improved and aged much better in general.

He beat a tj on ped. Cruz was still beating people even if he wasn't in his prime anymore. Marlon was on fire before fighting Henry, I mean he ko the current champ dead.. henry broke him and he was never the same.(same thing that happened to Cody)
MM admits that Henry did beat him by the judging criteria.

Winning two belts and defended them is impressive. However winning a gold medal in one of the hardest sports in the Olympics is incredible. Mind you he was the youngest to ever do it.

Overrated? Gtfo lol

He beat a tj on ped. Cruz was still beating people even if he wasn't in his prime anymore. Marlon was on fire before fighting Henry, I mean he ko the current champ dead.. henry broke him and he was never the same.(same thing that happened to Cody)
MM admits that Henry did beat him by the judging criteria.

Winning two belts and defended them is impressive. However winning a gold medal in one of the hardest sports in the Olympics is incredible. Mind you he was the youngest to ever do it.

Overrated? Gtfo lol
Lol right.. don't feed the troll

If he comes into the same form he did KO'ing Cruz I think Cejudo should be the favourite. Cruz has a very rangy striking style and Cejudo cut that range and made it his type of striking match. Aljo is another man who sucks in the pocket but fights best at range.
Aljo on paper shouldn't be able to wrestle Cejudo for long enough to win rounds.
Cejudo also has a clear cardio advantage.

Issue is Aljo is massive and Cejudo is tiny plus a long layoff with a guy who was clearly eating good is hard to have confidence in.
I'm picking Cejudo but seeing Aljo use his awkward kicks and size to bully in the clinch for a decision win wouldn't shock me.

If he comes into the same form he did KO'ing Cruz I think Cejudo should be the favourite. Cruz has a very rangy striking style and Cejudo cut that range and made it his type of striking match. Aljo is another man who sucks in the pocket but fights best at range.
Aljo on paper shouldn't be able to wrestle Cejudo for long enough to win rounds.
Cejudo also has a clear cardio advantage.

Issue is Aljo is massive and Cejudo is tiny plus a long layoff with a guy who was clearly eating good is hard to have confidence in.
I'm picking Cejudo but seeing Aljo use his awkward kicks and size to bully in the clinch for a decision win wouldn't shock me.

I agree. A prime CCC without the layoff is a no brainier. He just skill for skill is way better than prime aljo. However the layoff is concerning.

Henry not dumb so I'm sure he'll be prepared...

Back