How a blue-collar Swede became undisputed Boxing World Champion

What size gloves are they wearing, and Ingmar hit Pat on the back of the head the second time.

Floyd and Ingemar became good friends after the fight. In 1982 they both entered Stockholm Marathon and competed against each other there for fun (Floyd won. it was 31 degree Celsius that day. Ingemar was 49 and Floyd 46 yo), they both did it again 1983 (floyd won again).
Ingemar only lost 2 fights in his career -both vs Floyd after this first fight.
Ingemar died 2009, 3 years after Floyd. At the time he was suffering from both alzhemers, and dementia resulting from his boxing -same as Floyd.

Last edited:
Fun fact: my mothers childhood friend is married to a cousin of Johansson.. He told me how Ingemar was an ordinary boxer if it were not for that sledgehammer right hand.

Johansson uses common sense boxing principles the first rounds and jabs as aa range finder. The jab of Johansson is innocuos. Most elite boxers are uniformly talented on their left and right arm, and have lethal jabs. Not Ingo. Johansson was also unique in that he had one punch KO power. He threw very few right hands per round, but he only needed it once or twice most of the time.

For those thinking Patterson was a weak champion, Mike Tyson said that Patterson has the fastest hands in heavyweight history.

Pattersons knockout to win ratio is also impressive: 55 Wins, 40 KO

Floyd and Ingemar became good friends after the fight. In 1982 they both entered Stockholm Marathon and competed against each other there for fun (Floyd won. it was 31 degree Celsius that day. Ingemar was 49 and Floyd 46 yo), they both did it again 1983 (floyd won again).
Ingemar only lost 2 fights in his career -both vs Floyd after this first fight.
Ingemar died 2009, 3 years after Floyd. At the time he was suffering from both alzhemers, and dementia resulting from his boxing -same as Floyd.

Yeah. Floyd didn't know where he was the last years of his life. Ingo was in bad shape too but not that bad. Boxing was even more raw back then, judges were jaded and people have different sensitivities to hits.

A modern day judge would stop it when a confused Patterson heads to his corner after the first knockdown

Last edited:
Another fun fact. The big fist size of Ingo runs in the family tree. The cousin I mentioned has the biggest fist size I have ever seen. Bigger than Listons. Gorilla sized hands and fingers

Back