How about Aldo vs Eddie Alvarez for Jose's first LW bout ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 512089
  • Start date
if you move up from 145 to 155, you get to beat the shit out of eddie.
conor and dustin did it, and aldo will do the same. i like it.

Alverez is a subpar edgar with a bit more power and size. I think aldo takes it, better than a lot of match ups people have been suggesting.

How could that be boring? I predict a slugfest. Eddie doesn't have the wrestling to get Mr. TDD down and his boxing isn't super clean. So don't expect Eddie to intercept Aldo cleanly with a counter the way Conor did.

Aldo 2nd Rd TKO

Also agree with your analysis of Aldos place in the division. He's beating guys like Eddie and Dustin, but having hard fights with Kevin Lee and Gaethje. He'll be floating around anywhere from 5-7, I don't see him touching the title.

*Aldo's

I like this fight a lot. It is a money/legacy fight of sort so it could make sense for both guys at this point of their career too.

I don't get why people favor Aldo so heavily in this fight though. Eddie is no joke, he KTFO-ed Gaethje not so long ago, whereas Aldo has never fought at LW and the only times he fought bigger men he lost decisively.

Aldo is afraid of everyone at 155. He’s not moving up.

Yeah Aldo vs Eddie makes the most sense. But LW is a Sharktank and Aldo the FW GOAT so he could fight anybody in the top 10 "sensewise".

Also: Hate to say it but right now Gaethje is a gatekeeper at LW so for Aldo to come in at LW and fight him it makes perfect "sense".

And since when are fights based on sense ? Next thing you will tell me is the UFC cares about rankings ? sure buddy

Let me récap: you say what makes the most sense, then contradict yourself by saying that we do not makes fights on this criteria and finish with a "sure buddy" to yourself. How many are you in this head ?

I like this fight a lot. It is a money/legacy fight of sort so it could make sense for both guys at this point of their career too.

I don't get why people favor Aldo so heavily in this fight though. Eddie is no joke, he KTFO-ed Gaethje not so long ago, whereas Aldo has never fought at LW and the only times he fought bigger men he lost decisively.

Because it will be a stand up fight and Aldo's boxing is way crisper and his head movement much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd imagie alvarez is done with the ufc after chosing to fight out his contract. That loss to poirier destroyed any leverage he had. Probably will get more money from another promotion.

Alvarez is a free agent, and there is no way the UFC is bringing him back without a huge pay cut, so unless Jose is going to Bellator, I don't think this matchup is going to happen.

Interesting take. You might be right sadly. We'll see what happens.

How could that be boring? I predict a slugfest. Eddie doesn't have the wrestling to get Mr. TDD down and his boxing isn't super clean. So don't expect Eddie to intercept Aldo cleanly with a counter the way Conor did.

Aldo 2nd Rd TKO

Also agree with your analysis of Aldos place in the division. He's beating guys like Eddie and Dustin, but having hard fights with Kevin Lee and Gaethje. He'll be floating around anywhere from 5-7, I don't see him touching the title.

I don't think Lee poses a threat to him with that TDD. Unless you're saying he can outstrike Aldo.

I don't think Lee poses a threat to him with that TDD. Unless you're saying he can outstrike Aldo.

I said hard fights, not unwinnable. But yes I feel Kevin's wrestling could be a lot for Aldo even though he's shown bulletproof TDD. Kevin is a really big LW, besides that fact he's great technically. Some have said some of the best wrestling in the UFC. I couldn't tell you, I'm not a wrestling analyst (never watched or competed), but I'm parroting the opinion of people who's opinion I respect.

giphy.gif

It would be nice to see Aldo KTFO Derp Eddie and send him back to Stinkator.

Because it will be a stand up fight and Aldo boxing is way crisper and his head movement much better.

I agree with your reading - and I'd also favor Aldo in this fight - I just don't think it will be as easy as you all make it out to be. Again, we have never seen Aldo at LW. He has better boxing for sure but if he doesn't rock Eddie early and the fight turns into a brawl things can go very badly for him. Remember Eddie took Gaetjhe's best shots and beat him in later rounds.

Back