How about MMA in a square enclosure?

sakfjgadsyukgf

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot about changing existing MMA rules/the UFC paradigm to make for a more interesting sport. In Part 1 I asked about MMA without a cage, in part 2 I asked about MMA with wrestling shoes on

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/anyone-else-hoping-to-see-mma-without-the-cage-take-off.4294324/
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/mma-with-wrestling-shoes-on.4304126/

So for part 3- how about MMA in a square and not a circle? Whether that's a square cage, a boxing ring, a Karate Combat pit, or something else. One of the things I dislike about the UFC is that the basically circular cage allows a ton of 'strike and bike'- guys always on the backfoot, endlessly circling out while throwing 1 random strike at a time. You can never corner your opponent, they can always run away, sometimes literally. I find it incredibly boring and annoying to watch. In a square enclosure, you can get trapped in a corner and basically have to, you know, actually fight.

I think UFC competitors should come up with their own ruleset and stop making their product a carbon-copy of the UFC. (For one thing, how are viewers supposed to distinguish the two?) So, how about MMA in a square?

Better idea: keep a circle/octagon shape cage, but it shrinks every round. Or it shrinks if the fight output is not enough, and only grows back if there is enough action, so a distance striker would have to engage frequently to keep his space.

Square would probably be a better experience for people in the arena. Camera men in all 8 corners has you looking at their backs for a large portion of the crowds

The ring is set by a crowd of thrill seekers braying for blood like a high school fight. Space to maneuver is elastic and set by the whims of the crowd

Extreme Challenge used a square cage

Victory FC was the most recent promotion I remember using a square cage. Lot of guys came through there actually, Raufeon Stots was their bantamweight champion for example. Their last show was in 2018, so its been a good five years now.

Back