How big is the gap between Anderson Silva and Jon Jones (in greatness)

Not really massive. They are just a few picograms apart.

Jones is miles ahead. Silva had 4 losses coming into the ufc and ended on a horrible streak. Jones has never lost, belts in 2 divisions, and fought better competition.

I agree that Jones is far ahead. Jones ain't undefeated though.

definitely not a "steroid blocker"

This has nothing to do with JJ, just general info. Clomid/clomiphene is a selective estrogen receptor modulator (SERM), that in men can be used to increase your swimmer count and raise your natural testosterone serum level.

So, it can be a legit infertility treatment in men since it raises the swimmer count and boosts natural test production, where exogenous test can reduce your swimmers.

For PED users, it's mainly there to get your natural test production back up, and regulate estrogen. HCG is another that gets your balls back in order after a cycle, some use it during to keep them running normally.

Edit - I'm not a doctor, nor a pro, just sharing what I've learned during my own TRT adventures.
Yeah, we are on the same page.

The word I was looking for was "masking agent" which I am also not a fan of but it is what is often repeated in the media.

In prime I think Anderson was more impressive but over the long haul Jon has shown a better ability to adapt when his "athleticism" was gone.

Yeah, we are on the same page.

The word I was looking for was "masking agent" which I am also not a fan of but it is what is often repeated in the media.
"Masking agent" has always irked me too lol. Could maybe see calling a diuretic that, but even those aren't "masking" anything, just diluting and maybe speeding up the purge.

There's a lot of vernacular used by the media when talking PEDs that just doesn't really line up with what's really happening. I think that has some to do with the amount of misinformation that gets perpetuated, too.

"Masking agent" has always irked me too lol. Could maybe see calling a diuretic that, but even those aren't "masking" anything, just diluting and maybe speeding up the purge.

There's a lot of vernacular used by the media when talking PEDs that just doesn't really line up with what's really happening. I think that has some to do with the amount of misinformation that gets perpetuated, too.
I have ranted that exact sentiment in the past.

I could see the argument for calling a diuretic a masking agent as in theory it could alter the results of a PED test.

Clomid is an estrogen blocker. You take it so you don't get gyno titties. It prevents sides effects. The media makes it sound like it makes steroids not show up in a PED test which is inaccurate and misleading.

Apologies for my prior mis statement, but thank you for bringing it to my attention. I try to keep my posts on the subject of PEDs as accurate as possible, in large part, as you said, because there is so much bad information out there.

In their respective "time" they seemed almost equally invincible, but Jones has better stood the test of time and there's no doubt history will look more favorably on Jones.

Overall, it’s not close and prime for prime, it’s still Jones by a comfortable margin. At his very best, Silva still had a glaring wrestling deficiency. There’s no clear path to victory against Jones and at his prime peak, before his toe snapped, he’s the closest we’ve seen to an unbeatable fighter.

I mostly agree with this but the one thing I would say in Anderson’s favor is that he dominated the two best middleweights of his era (Henderson and Franklin) a lot harder than Jones dominated the best LHW of his era (Cormier).

I also think that it’s very possible that Anderson would have won the LHW belt had Machida not come up when he did. If Anderson styles on whoever was champ at the time the way he did on Forrest, a lot of people probably have him number two all time instead of 3rd or worse (as is I think Aldo has a good argument for #3).

Jones obviously had the better career and the more well-rounded skill set, but prime-for-prime they were similarly dominant.

I personally think they have the same aura and name value but Jon Jones will win out when he retires.....that sentiment value will kick in.

Jon Jones is greater of course.

Very big.

Anderson is much better.

Pretty big imo. SilVa has a bit of the BJ Penn effect. Him fighting as an old man instead of just retiring hurt his legacy.

It goes
1. Jones
2. GSP
3. DJ
4. Fedor
5. Silva
6. Beeby
7. Aldo
8. DC
9. CCC
10. Colby Covington

/thread

I mostly agree with this but the one thing I would say in Anderson’s favor is that he dominated the two best middleweights of his era (Henderson and Franklin) a lot harder than Jones dominated the best LHW of his era (Cormier).

I also think that it’s very possible that Anderson would have won the LHW belt had Machida not come up when he did. If Anderson styles on whoever was champ at the time the way he did on Forrest, a lot of people probably have him number two all time instead of 3rd or worse (as is I think Aldo has a good argument for #3).

Jones obviously had the better career and the more well-rounded skill set, but prime-for-prime they were similarly dominant.

Those are all great points. Jones and Anderson also have Gus and Chael who played similar roles in their respective careers

Jones has pulled ahead of everyone in the GOAT debate imo but its not by much. Anderson, GSP, and Fedor are still on the same tier as Jones.

These "miles ahead" comments are just people that don't like Anderson.
GSP resume is trash.
Put their resume side by side and non of these guys comes close to Jones.
Who these guys that GSP beat?
Let's see.
Top 3 wins

Matt Hughes
BJ Penn
Jonny Hendricks

You thinking beating these fellows puts you in the same category as Jones?

Oh, lest we forget the KO loss at the hands of 5ft 6in Matt serra and getting chocked out by Matt Hughes.

But ya, he's in the same category as Jones. lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back