How can you make good money without a college degree?

One my buddies is a trucker and makes over 300k a year. But he is almost never home. His young kids even forget his name.
Holy shit! What do I have to do to get that job? I see lots of trucker jobs for 100k but never 300k.

What company does he work for?

I'll totally become a trucker for that kind of dough.

I'm kind of at a crossroads in my career. I've hit a ceiling and can't make much more than I do now. I have people telling me that's the way it is in today's world if you don't have a degree. But I really don't want to go back to school now for 4 years just to make an extra $10k a year. So what options are there? How can I make good money without a college degree?

I'm in a similar boat too where I'm not making enough cash and want to go back to school. Unfortunately, I don't want to go back but I dont have that many options. Now in terms of earning good money without a degree, here's several options:

The trades
Law Enforcement or Corrections
Longshoremen
Work for a major distritbution center
Hospital Janitor//EVS worker. Depending on your state you can make well over $20 an hour.

My brother in law recently retired as an elevator mechanic. He did very well.

I'm kind of at a crossroads in my career. I've hit a ceiling and can't make much more than I do now. I have people telling me that's the way it is in today's world if you don't have a degree. But I really don't want to go back to school now for 4 years just to make an extra $10k a year. So what options are there? How can I make good money without a college degree?
There are certain trade and union jobs that pay well. There are certain jobs in the medical field that pay well and don't require a college degree (not a bachelor's degree at least), such as radiation therapists. I used to work for a hospital and there were people there without degrees who made decent wages in several different roles.

I can tell you from experience that when you work in a hospital, odd hours are often available. Nights, weekends, holidays, etc. You get paid overtime for working those shifts. If you work a 3-11 pm shift or a 11-7 am shift, you're getting paid extra. You work the weekend, you're getting paid extra. It adds up. That's about all I can tell you, I suppose.

Starting a business can be great if you can get the financing for it one way or the other and then it takes off. And once it does, it can be smooth sailing after a while. But it's hard to find financing at first often, A LOT of businesses fail, it's risky. Good luck...

https://www.nursingprocess.org/high-paying-medical-jobs-with-little-schooling.html

Depending where you live, but I am going to say oil patch work. When I worked in the oil patch I made phenomenal money, but also had to work 12-20 hour days with the average day being about 16 hours.

I would also recommend to go back to school if that is at all possible. I started working on a bachelor's of education degree part time when I was about 30, and started into the teaching field when I was 38 so I could make decent money and not have to work away from home. Oh plus summers off!

I've seen a lot people so really well with a trade and some motivation.

It's simple formula. Learn a trade. Build a track record by doing good work. Expand.

How can I make good money without a college degree?

giphy.gif

I'm in a similar boat too where I'm not making enough cash and want to go back to school. Unfortunately, I don't want to go back but I dont have that many options. Now in terms of earning good money without a degree, here's several options:

The trades
Law Enforcement or Corrections
Longshoremen
Work for a major distritbution center
Hospital Janitor//EVS worker. Depending on your state you can make well over $20 an hour.

I would say as well I think higher education latter in life does become a bit more questionable in terms of the return unless you are learning a very specific skill set with it.

A lot of the advantage of having a degree I would say tends to be going for more standard white collar jobs and often its the first thing they look at when throwing out CV's but age I'd say is often the second thing they look at, big companies getting people in at the ground floor tend to want to get them in their early 20's as they think there easier to mould to their own desires.

Trades, but I guess you still technically need a post-secondary education for those.

As others mentioned, truck drivers can have decent income too if you don't mind the schedule.
And the overall tediousness of driving.

i think there is a shift where degrees are being more and more useless and not really needed these days.

Step 1: Learn Chinese and film yourself getting your nails done and the reaction of the women as they find out you know they're talking shit...

Step 2: YouTube

Step 3: profit?

A trade can be very lucrative, though it's hard on the body. Then again so is sitting on your arse for 40 hours a day

You don't need any kind of a degree to get a Real Estate license. You can make a fortune.

<Fedor23>

Trade, Longshoreman or a medical technical job that only requires a AA degree such as getting into a rad tech or pulmonary tech program. Many seasoned rad techs that work at the larger medical centers in California can make $50-75+/hour with excellent benefits depending on specialty, job title and years in the job. Pulmonary techs only make slightly less, but some travel or high demand jobs can get them $100+/hour. Just look up the payscale at UCSF, UCDMC or Kaiser Permanente and you can see their salary ranges.

For example a Pulmonary Tech 4 at UCD Medical Center at the top of the payscale that work nights in the ICU can make $70/hour. A Senior Ultrasound Tech can make up to $78/hour or even more if they work PRN at night. A Nuclear Med Tech II that work on the weekend can make over $90/hour at Kaiser. A Sonographer V Tech at the top of the payscale makes $96/hour although that may require a bachelors in a diagnostic medical sonography program and additional certs to reach that high. That's the top of the food chain for Sonography jobs, but even a first year Sonographer I at Kaiser can start at $60/hour with just a AA degree.

Learn a trade. People here get welding certificates after 8-9 months and start off at $60k right out of high school.
Lol. I wouldn't wipe my ass with that cert or hire those guys to build me a gate. You get your ticket, then you start learning. Here welding is a 4 year course, then you branch out. Pressure, structural, whatever and have to get certified in different materials. 8 months will get you someone who can scab together something with a mig.

But, even those hacks can make good coin as you said.

The only way to make money is by doing something that most other people CAN'T do, or they're not willing to do.

So LeBron James makes a lot because he does things most people can't do.

Doctors make a lot because they're willing to do something that most people aren't willing to do (work your ass off, go to med school, etc.)

So just figure out what you can do that most others can't or won't do.
Put on them daisy dukes and shake that thang I guess

Back