how dangerous was nicholas pettas in his prime?

In terms of K-1, he was unfortunately undersized and somewhat underpowered. He made up for it in his tenacity and had flashes of technical brilliance, but was never really the same after he broke his leg on Gurr's check.

Overall, a middle-tier fighter in the K-1 pantheon, although I've always genuinely liked the guy for always putting on a good show and having a good sense of humor in all his interviews.

Just FYI, he runs a Crossfit gym and dabbles in show business in Japan these days since he's fluently bilingual in English and Japanese.

In terms of K-1, he was unfortunately undersized and somewhat underpowered. He made up for it in his tenacity and had flashes of technical brilliance, but was never really the same after he broke his leg on Gurr's check.

Overall, a middle-tier fighter in the K-1 pantheon, although I've always genuinely liked the guy for always putting on a good show and having a good sense of humor in all his interviews.

Just FYI, he runs a Crossfit gym and dabbles in show business in Japan these days since he's fluently bilingual in English and Japanese.

Beat me to it.

Does he still train? I think he's permanently running his crossfit gym & show business nowadays.

I recall he had a kickboxing gym - did he pack it in? Seems a kind of sad to move on from Karate - suppose it might happen to all of us at some point.

I could never get past the goatee and over the top hair styles. Still a fan. I think in his prime if he had more power he wouldve been much more dangerous. But since he was so undersized alot of his shots are just walked through like in the LeBanner fight.

he was mas oyama's last pupil. true story. also his tv special samurai spirit is a good watch.

he was mas oyama's last pupil. true story. also his tv special samurai spirit is a good watch.

seconded - I watched the entire samurai spirits series, they are all on YouTube nowadays.

yeah i know about Nicholas,i just didnt really catch a lot of his fights but he is like a small celebrity in japan since he is even on nhk

the samurai spirit v

Beat me to it.

Does he still train? I think he's permanently running his crossfit gym & show business nowadays.

I recall he had a kickboxing gym - did he pack it in? Seems a kind of sad to move on from Karate - suppose it might happen to all of us at some point.

Yeah, unfortunately I think he did close his "Spirit Gym" dojo. I know he's had 2 total hip replacements though, so I wonder if that's had something to do with the end of his karate career. Either that, or after leaving IKO1, maybe it was hard to scrounge together enough students to make a living as an independent dojo as opposed to opening a Crossfit gym which is all the rage these days (also, I think his new girlfriend probably had something to do with his transition to Crossfit as well).

Yeah, unfortunately I think he did close his "Spirit Gym" dojo.

From what I understand the spirit gym is still active, and still teaching both karate and kickboxing. But Pettas himself is no longer running it. Someone said he had been bought out, but I dont know if that is true or if he still is a silent partner.

I think he is dedicating himself 100% to his chain of gyms(i think he opened a new one recently),adding his job of hosting that pop culture show in nhk i doubt he has enough time

Back