How do fighters make a living during long breaks

zxyss25

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So I was reading about Jimmy Crute needing to take a long break from the sport

While Jimmy did appears on some main card PPVs, I figured he probably made a good living while he was fighting, but not enough savings to support him and a family if he took a break

Same for Gregor Gillepsie, seems like he rarely fights

Or Kevin Lee, who can now retire, but I would assume would need another job

Al Iaquinta had to go into real estate

Ed Herman had to become a truck driver during long breaks

Yes. All those and more.

Of course the most common is working for a gym. 2nd most common is probably owning a gym.

I bet even your town or region has a trainer that used to fight in a season of the UFC, just like Rex.

diedrich_bader-film-rex-napoleon_dynamite-bottoms-rex_kwon_do_pants.jpg

warehousing and construction jobs are common among the amateur scene I imagine it's not much different from those pros without too much money. Start early and have a decent amount of time at night.

Even being a barista is common enough due to time flexibility, but the standards of pay for the jobs I listed are probably way worse in countries that aren't Australia lol

warehousing and construction jobs are common among the amateur scene I imagine it's not much different from those pros without too much money. Start early and have a decent amount of time at night.

Even being a barista is common enough due to time flexibility, but the standards of pay for the jobs I listed are probably way worse in countries that aren't Australia lol
Bouncing at nightclubs

Good financial planning. The fighters that choose to be picky with fights or take extended breaks have usually grown their pot over time. With money you get to a point where it starts working for you, and it becomes much easier to make money. Not sure about Crute’s situation though, doubt he’s gotten to that stage.

Problem is coaching in Australia is expensive as fuck.

Finding certain financial outings through sponsors and gyms. If you are good enough maybe commentating or analyst work.

Every fighter on the roster needs close training partners before fights.
A team is usually assembled for different fighters during fight night and those people get paid.
It's hard to explain through text.

Al iaquinta shows up for Sterling
Chris Curtis shows up for Strickland
Thiago Alves shows up for certain ATT fighters

I can't remember all the teams, but you can see many well known fighters come out with fighters on fight night that trained with them.
The big name UFC fighters usually show up for their training partners on the regional circuit.

Off season - 20 hrs a week in the gym + part time job and you’re set
Camp - 30-40 hrs a week and take off/get fired for your fight.

20/20 goes a long way for prelim fighters from poor countries. IRS also taxes foreign athletes differently as they don’t reap tax benefits.

I have often wondered the same thing.
Some guys only fight once a year,
like Paulo Costa for instance.
How does a fighter support themselves.
Private lessons. Gym instructor, maybe sponsorships.

Personal French Cooking Chef
Nutritional Advisor
Gentlemen's Club Attitude Adjuster
Limo Driver
Body Guard
Only Fans Photographer
Topless Housekeeper
Gardener Planting Tulips

Good financial planning. The fighters that choose to be picky with fights or take extended breaks have usually grown their pot over time. With money you get to a point where it starts working for you, and it becomes much easier to make money. Not sure about Crute’s situation though, doubt he’s gotten to that stage.
They grow pot? Well that's a fantastic way to make money!

I'm gonna give Crute a call right now

Back