How do I wash my quinoa?

Saith

UFC poster boy
Reaction score
I bought some organic quinoa the other day, and it says to wash it before using it, but I think it would fall through my colander if I tried to. Do I have to buy a special quinoa washer or something?

i dont bother...i just put it straight into rice cooker....

dont you need to soak it?

Godamn! And all this time I thought it was supposed to be crunchy! :icon_chee

Yeah, you have to soak it. That's why I never bought it again. I'm a total lazy-ass when it comes to preparing food.

fuck it bro just cook and eat it. they tell you to wash it because of the saponins on outsides. I'll deal with the little bit of bitterness in some of the bites before i'll go through the trouble of soaking those little bastards, transferring them to another pot, then trying to cook them

I wash it like I wash rice. Put it in a pot, fill with cold water, slowly pour water out of pot, repeat.

Buy a fine mesh strainer. I just toss a cup of quinoa in there and run it under the tap for a minute or two, simple.

Does it make a huge difference nutrition wise if you buy it flaked? Is it kind of like the difference between rolled oats and steel cut oats?

quinoa_big.jpg

I wash it like I wash rice. Put it in a pot, fill with cold water, slowly pour water out of pot, repeat.

Sonny knows how to do it. You have to wash it to remove the saponin, which is toxic.

I usually wash/rinse it like rice until it doesn't cloud the water, then soak it for a few hours. I just had a bowl of quinoa + honey this morning for breakfast. Good stuff.

I never used to wash mine and it gave me stomach cramps.

Now i give it a quick rinse then leave it to germinate in a bowl of water. It tastes better and apparently is more nutritious if you let it germinate.

Lastly, quinoa may be germinated in its raw form to boost its nutritional value. Germination activates its natural enzymes and multiplies its vitamin content. In fact, quinoa has a notably short germination period: only 2-4 hours resting in a glass of clean water is enough to make it sprout and release gases, as opposed to, eg., 12 hours overnight with wheat. This process, besides its nutritional enhancements, softens the grains, making them suitable to be added to salads and other cold foods.

I tend to leave it overnight so that it really softens up. Also reduces the already low cooking time.

Sonny knows how to do it. You have to wash it to remove the saponin, which is toxic.

I usually wash/rinse it like rice until it doesn't cloud the water, then soak it for a few hours. I just had a bowl of quinoa + honey this morning for breakfast. Good stuff.

Did you have it cold or hot? I might try that as it's carbs and protein in one easy little package!

wtf does that taste like??how cheap is it?can it be found in regular supermarkets like albertsons or vons?

wtf does that taste like??how cheap is it?can it be found in regular supermarkets like albertsons or vons?

It's not bad at all. It has a little nutty taste. I'm not sure if I've ever seen any at a regular supermarket. I buy mine at an Asian supermarket. It's fairly inexpensive.

How long do you cook it for when you let it germinate?

I usually cook 1 cup quinoa with 2 cups water, bring it to a boil, cover and reduce heat for 20 minutes, then turn off the heat and leave it covered for another 10 minutes.

Back