Opinion How do Squatters bypass Trespassing Laws?

Rhood

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
If they do not rent or own the property, and yet they are breaking, entering, and sleeping there, isn't that considered trespassing?

My understanding of Squatters from the media is
people exploiting the housing market by looking for houses on sale by agent and then forging those documents with the agent's signature as proof of purchase even if the agent sold it legally to a legitimate homebuyer.

Other ways people squat I'm assuming is when renters inhabiting the rental space from the owners decide to stop paying rent anymore.

Is there more to this?

“Possession is 9 tenths of the law” I guess.

Just another branch of victim hood.

i saw one couple years ago where a girl owned home but was out of the states for like a month or so and a squatter moved in and put like a 1000$ into renovations and according to state law a month of staying somewhere and putting money into the house is enough to make a valid tenant claim. This was in michigan. Not sure what the result of that case was but the news at the time said it was going to be a lengthy process.

If they do not rent or own the property, and yet they are breaking, entering, and sleeping there, isn't that considered trespassing?

people exploiting the housing market by looking for houses on sale by agent and then forging those documents with the agent's signature as proof of purchase even if the agent sold it legally to a legitimate homebuyer.

Other ways people squat I'm assuming is when renters inhabiting the rental space from the owners decide to stop paying rent anymore.

Is there more to this?

Trespassing is a criminal offense. Squatting is a civil matter. All a squatter has to do is make a reasonable enough case to law enforcement that they have tenant rights and the matter will have to be taken up in court.

There are a number of ways a squatter can claim tenant rights which depend on the state. Obviously, falsifying documents like leases, utility bills etc are one way but also showing they have been occupying the space for some time while paying bills is another.

One other thing to note is that there are cases of people breaking into vacant homes and renting them out to unsuspecting people. Once the homeowner finds out there are people in the house, the fake landlord drops off the map and the renters are labeled as squatters even though they believed they were legitimately renting. The matter then obviously has to go to court.

It's a pretty unfortunate situation. You definitely want to minimize the opportunities for squatting to take place but at the same time you don't want to shift the power too far in favor of landlords. Florida recently passed a bill that makes it easier to remove squatters (law enforcement has more power and the 30 day window for tenant rights was increased to 45 days I believe).

Lastly, pretty much every state has squatter issues regardless of political leaning. Everywhere from New York to Texas is dealing with it.

It usually happens when the houses are left alone for more than a month. I have a really nice empty home near me. I think the old folks died or moved during the pandemic. You can tell it's unoccupied. The new windows don't even have the installation seals taken off. The house has a caretaker that shows up every weekend to clean the place and check for squatters.

Personally I don't care if people squat in abandoned buildings like old factories or schools. There are also abandoned homes/mansions that are going to rot anyways.

Is there more to this?
Probably the most common way people squat is simply by breaking and entering into vacant property and then not leaving. In FL, if you basically catch someone in the act, the cops can trespass them. Also, if they are squatting in a place one may not live, (a hotel, or a library) the cops can get them out.

Once a person reaches a certain level of being “set up” in a place (mail, utilitity bills, furniture) you must go through the judicial process to remove them. As I pointed out in one of the other squatter threads this week, this squatter removal process is the fastest judicial proceeding available in FL. It can often be done in 30 days or less.

Compare that to a homeowner who stops paying his mortgage, that homeowner can stall the courts for a year or more. Both folks are living in places the aren’t paying for. How about someone who, say, sets up a fake university, this last guy can stall the legal system for decades.

I don’t think the purpose of a fast judicial proceeding is to give squatters a ton of rights, it is an orderly way to dispossess someone from where they are living while minimizing the impacts of false accusations on the whole community, limiting potentially dangerous and complex officer involvement, and discouraging “self-help.”

Tenants who refuse to leave are typically considered hold over tenants, not squatters.

I am not pro squatter, but what is going on in conservative land where all of a sudden, of all the illegal civil and outright criminal activity out there it is this specific group (that is already subject to the fastest judicial proceedings available) that need to be further targeted?

In another thread that is active right now, conservatives are screeching that the IRS is auditing too many middle class tax cheats. I don’t get the conservative positions here. If you cheat on your taxes you shouldn’t get caught at all, but if you squat, the fastest judicial process in FL is too slow?

I will fuck any squater up who invades my property. If I can not get caught that's fine but either way it's going to be a very bad day/night for the squaters.

chaotic good > lawful good

I too would rape any squatter. As a show of dominance, it would show I am the alpha squatter and my rights are most protected and claim deed to the property

I too would rape any squatter. As a show of dominance, it would show I am the alpha squatter and my rights are most protected and claim deed to the property
Just make sure the squatter understands you are not EXCHANGING sex for rent. That could create a landlord/tenant relationship in your jurisdiction . Although at that point it would be consensual…

Probably the most common way people squat is simply by breaking and entering into vacant property and then not leaving. In FL, if you basically catch someone in the act, the cops can trespass them. Also, if they are squatting in a place one may not live, (a hotel, or a library) the cops can get them out.

Once a person reaches a certain level of being “set up” in a place (mail, utilitity bills, furniture) you must go through the judicial process to remove them. As I pointed out in one of the other squatter threads this week, this squatter removal process is the fastest judicial proceeding available in FL. It can often be done in 30 days or less.

Compare that to a homeowner who stops paying his mortgage, that homeowner can stall the courts for a year or more. Both folks are living in places the aren’t paying for. How about someone who, say, sets up a fake university, this last guy can stall the legal system for decades.

I don’t think the purpose of a fast judicial proceeding is to give squatters a ton of rights, it is an orderly way to dispossess someone from where they are living while minimizing the impacts of false accusations on the whole community, limiting potentially dangerous and complex officer involvement, and discouraging “self-help.”

Tenants who refuse to leave are typically considered hold over tenants, not squatters.

I am not pro squatter, but what is going on in conservative land where all of a sudden, of all the illegal civil and outright criminal activity out there it is this specific group (that is already subject to the fastest judicial proceedings available) that need to be further targeted?

In another thread that is active right now, conservatives are screeching that the IRS is auditing too many middle class tax cheats. I don’t get the conservative positions here. If you cheat on your taxes you shouldn’t get caught at all, but if you squat, the fastest judicial process in FL is too slow?
People tend to care about things that might affect them. Going on vacation and coming home to a piece of shit living in and extorting you for your house, having to deal with a judicial system, lawyers, hotel expenses, etc. Having to deal with a federal tax audit is also very annoying even if you haven't done anything wrong. Both things that are very annoying, costly and can affect people who have done nothing wrong. It's not hard to sympathize with people who have these things happen to them, unless of course you don't own property or pay much in taxes.

I always just considered reverse squatting them and moving in when they left the place. Now I get my stuff and their stuff. Basically just change the locks whilst they are out and reclaim the property. It's kinda like Highlander but for squatting. There can only be one.

I will fuck any squater up who invades my property. If I can not get caught that's fine but either way it's going to be a very bad day/night for the squaters.

Doesn't get anymore BASED than this. Squatters should being eating Prime Mike Tyson uppercuts the moment they've stolen your property. Maybe throw in some Keith Hackney palm strikes.

About 15 years ago my uncle came to visit from Oslo and brought a friend of his. They’re both on and off again homeless over there and apparently the friend squatted in an abandoned warehouse for around 25 yrs and in Norway that’s long enough to claim ownership. They eventually wanted to run the train through that property and the government had to buy my uncles friend out. It was approx $640k CAD.

If I went on vacation and came back to squatters living in my home, they also would have an extremely terrible, no good day. Like the worst day of their lives.

Back