How do you approach scratches on your car?

She parked in our driveway… I have him on camera scratching her car.

so I scratched his deeper.

You didn't answer the question. Why did he do that?

I try to paint it ASAP because I don't want it to start rusting from there.

I drive a truck. Scratches don't bother me.

I approach them hunched over and from from the back to front side of the car saying “is that a scratch”

Drive a shit car so you don't have to give a fuck.

I try buff polish light things out, usually makes a pretty good difference.

Change something visible from 20m to only visible at say 10m.

If you can feel it with your fingernail, then it won't buff out.

If you can feel it with your fingernail, then it won't buff out.

You still have a chance if you know how to cut and buff. Most people aren't gonna hit their own car with sandpaper and a buffer though.

You still have a chance if you know how to cut and buff. Most people aren't gonna hit their own car with sandpaper and a buffer though.

I have a body shop and if that scratch is through the clear into the paint, you're screwed. All the cutting and buffing in the world isn't going to fix that.

Sometimes you can hide it with glazer. 3M Imperial Hand Glaze works wonders. But you have to constantly use it.

I’m a fix it immediately type of guy when it comes to cars. I’m probably only like that with cars.

I have a body shop and if that scratch is through the clear into the paint, you're screwed. All the cutting and buffing in the world isn't going to fix that.

Sometimes you can hide it with glazer. 3M Imperial Hand Glaze works wonders. But you have to constantly use it.

Sometimes I used to take a little bit of clear touch up and fill in the crack. Let it dry and then hit it with 2000 grit and the buffer and could get it to at least look like a bit of a paint defect at certain angles instead of a scratch at all angles.

Sometimes I used to take a little bit of clear touch up and fill in the crack. Let it dry and then hit it with 2000 grit and the buffer and could get it to at least look like a bit of a paint defect at certain angles instead of a scratch at all angles.

Oh, we've done that too. I also mix clear and activator right in with the paint when I do touch ups(4 to 1 to .5 ratio). I've also done a ton of brake calipers using that method. It's nice because you can just use soap and water to clean them and don't have to worry about the clear coat chipping or peeling. I have to redo a set of Brembos next week for a guy's 2012 SRT8. The clear all peeled and now instead of them being red, they are pink. This is all hand done and not sprayed. 2 day process and turns out beautiful.

Back