How do you feel about GSP tapping to strikes?

its pretty disgraceful to be honest. It wouldnt be if he were injured during the fight and needed to get out of there to save himself from further injury, but he tapped to a journeyman lw in his first title defense. Its such a bad look and yes it definitely taints his legacy.
Its right on par with winning one fight in 9 years and losing 7 in a row, or quitting (tapping) between rounds to a guy that tapped to strikes. That shit will ruin a legacy.

I think you are a much bigger man if you’re scared to death of a broken arm, but willing to embrace brain damage.

its pretty disgraceful to be honest. It wouldnt be if he were injured during the fight and needed to get out of there to save himself from further injury, but he tapped to a journeyman lw in his first title defense. Its such a bad look and yes it definitely taints his legacy.
He is avoiding further injury. It’s called avoiding a massive concussion and potentially CTE. Why is it OK to tap out to an arm bar? It’s just a broken arm. Hell I had a broken arm when I was a kid. It heals in 10-12 weeks..

Last edited:
Smart move, he knew that he was in a bad spot and got caught with the infamous accidental wrist. Knew he had time to regroup and come back and win a rematch. Just like using the grease, it's 10/10 ring awareness type move, that's why he is easily the best welterweight of all time.

Well, what I'm sure of is that George had no valid reasons to tap to strikes, while other fighters who quit on the stool, got beaten by Japanese cans or cheated multiple times have all the reasons in the world for doing so.

Smart move, he knew that he was in a bad spot and got caught with the infamous accidental wrist. Knew he had time to regroup and come back and win a rematch. Just like using the grease, it's 10/10 ring awareness type move, that's why he is easily the best welterweight of all time.

Using vaseline is ring awareness and makes you the best welterweight of all time?

<LikeReally5>

When your beat, your beat, submission or strikes. I've never understood the I'm a warrior attitude because I let my opponent beat me unconsious, it's actually pretty stupid. It's a sport when you know your done you concede the fight to the better man that night. It's how these guys earn a living, get knocked out 3 or 4 times see what it does to your health. I'm truly concerned for guys like Overeem that's been knocked out so many times, that has to hurt your life expectancy or at least your quality of life.

From what I've seen the majority of fans are torn between believing that it doesn't mean anything while others say that tapping to strikes against a smaller opponent as the defending champion lessens GSP's status as one of the greats

I personally don't take it too seriously because anything can happen in MMA. What do you guys think?

gif8.gif

Makes you wonder what would happen if he couldn't shake Khabib's GNP ...

Yes, they knew that at that moment they could get away with it. Same thing as micro-dosing and grabbing the fence/shorts at the right time, the best know how to keep the bending of the rules small enough to get away with it. DC and the towel, Jon Jones and the PEDs and eyepokes, all of the things Chael did, Anderson and the PEDs, etc. Minus Sonnen, all GOATS.
Using vaseline is ring awareness and is part of what makes GSP the best welterweight of all time.

I personally don’t think it’s a good look to tap to strikes. Nowadays people have started to agree with tapping to strikes, but in my book it’s just simply not a good look. I don’t really hold it against GSP but tapping looks worse than getting tko’d. You can talk about how it’s smart and compare it to submissions etc, but it’s almost an unwritten rule that you’re not supposed to tap to strikes. You either get it or you don’t. I think newer fans are more likely to feel that tapping to strikes is a good thing.

I think he's a pussy for doing that and a disgrace to the sport. He will probably be the next Canadian leader tho, as they like social justice virtue signalling soy boys in Canada.

So you think Shogun is also a pussy and a disgrace to the sport?

He is avoiding further injury. It’s called avoiding a massive concussion and potentially CTE. Why is it OK to tap out to an arm bar? It’s just a broken arm. Hell I had a broken arm when I was a kid. It heals in 10-12 weeks..

There are two kinds of people in the heat of battle: those who succumb to fear/pain and those who don't. (Naturally, there are degrees of anything.)

There are a certain rare few, whose drive to win *exceeds* any impulse of fear or pain ... THESE are the only fighters worthy of a pedestal.

Every other fighter, who taps, turns, runs away is but a common man with whatever skill he's learned.

Only the individual who absolutely will not stop is worthy of legendary status.

GSP is a great athlete, with great charisma, and great skill ... but his sheer panic under the two-fisted barrage of Matt Serra revealed a deer's heart, not a lion's, when the shit gets deep..

There are two kinds of people in the heat of battle: those who succumb to fear/pain and those who don't. (Naturally, there are degrees of anything.)

There are a certain rare few, whose drive to win *exceeds* any impulse of fear or pain ... THESE are the only fighters worthy of a pedestal.

Every other fighter, who taps, turns, runs away is but a common man with whatever skill he's learned.

Only the individual who absolutely will not stop is worthy of legendary status.

GSP is a great athlete, with great charisma, and great skill ... but his sheer panic under the two-fisted barrage of Matt Serra revealed a deer's heart, not a lion's, when the shit gets deep..

Let me say this I think that GSP bothered by all that criticism over the years, got tougher mentally in fights as time went on. The Condit fight. GSP is coming off a torn ACL, he was out 1 year, and he gets blasted with a head kick. GSP was badly hurt with Condit on top doing damage. But this time GSP refused to yield.. He worked his way back, and won the rest of the round. Perhaps he was thinking about the Serra loss on bottom, and said to himself "Not this time". Even the Hendricks fight. All anyone wants to talk about is the decision, but GSP was hurt, and cut up going into round 5. He fought his ass off in Round 5 dug deep to win the round..

But 95% there is a limit on how much damage you will allow.. It's the key to a long career honestly.. You can retire rich, happy, and a legend. Or you can retire punchy, and broke.. I think GSP did alright.

Smart move in my opinion.

These guys aren't warriors in a fight to death. They're professionals and should know when to tap out to come stronger the next fight

And people call Chael a quitter. GSP quit.

But in all seriousness ... meh ... I don't care. He saved himself some brain cells. Smart move that is looked down upon.

From what I've seen the majority of fans are torn between believing that it doesn't mean anything while others say that tapping to strikes against a smaller opponent as the defending champion lessens GSP's status as one of the greats

I personally don't take it too seriously because anything can happen in MMA. What do you guys think?

gif8.gif

Tapping to strikes makes much more sense medically than tapping to locks or chokes. Ask any doctor, its not even close. I think GSP (or anyone else) tapping to an armbar was way worse than tapping to strikes. Only people who are twenty years out of date in medical knowledge wrt head trauma thinks tapping to strikes is worse than tapping to locks or chokes.

Which is a lot of Sherdog. GSP gets a lot of heat for tapping to strikes against Serra, but almost none for tapping to an armlock against Hughes. But any doctor will tell you broken arms are trivial to fix compared to neurological damage (that's why several medical associations want to ban boxing and MMA, but none want to ban BJJ or judo or sambo -- broken limbs simply aren't a big deal medically).

Back