How do you prefer to Read?

Buying a Kindle or Fire to read books is idiotic. You're agreeing to not only buy devices for the rest of your life, but to never actually own the book. I've got a book collection spanning 30 years. I don't need a computer or tablet to read it. I can loan books. I travel with them without pulling them out at the security gate in the airport. I can move them around without fear of breaking them. I can sell them (I sometimes buy valuable first editions or discover that some older book I own is now out of print and important to certain collectors).

You can't do any of that shit with a Kindle, except obligate yourself to buy a device that is compatible with your "electronic book collection" for the rest of your fucking life.
Lol Old man...if you are alive in 2019, and can read this post, you have already opted in on the buying of devices for your whole life.

The books are a file. I can transfer and GIVE them to whomever I want. I'm not a 6 year old, so i don't have to worry about breaking the device. Unless the apocalypse comes, I'll be reading books just fine on my iPad till i stop breathing

I went thru an e-reader stage but have moved back to physical book and I much prefer them. You can generally pick up books on Amazon for cheaper than the e-book anyway.

I went thru an e-reader stage but have moved back to physical book and I much prefer them. You can generally pick up books on Amazon for cheaper than the e-book anyway.

Same for me. I modernized and went the ebook route for the longest time, fucked with audiobooks a little too, but it was so satisfying to finally hit up paperback again

I use a kindle now primarily. For years I was hesitant to get one, but after I filled all of our bookshelves and left stacks of books all over the house, my wife bought me one, now I prefer it.

The distribution model is a huge improvement over waiting on books to ship from Amazon. As soon as I finish one book I can go find another and get it immediately.

Also, it’s better for reading in bed or in any kind of crowded public transit like a train or plane. Often I’ll read before falling asleep, with my wife under my left arm sleeping in my chest. Being able to turn pages silently with one is much more comfortable in that position. Similarly, on a plane I can read without moving at all. Considering how they pack you on on a domestic flight now, less jostling is better.

Buying a Kindle or Fire to read books is idiotic. You're agreeing to not only buy devices for the rest of your life, but to never actually own the book. I've got a book collection spanning 30 years. I don't need a computer or tablet to read it. I can loan books. I travel with them without pulling them out at the security gate in the airport. I can move them around without fear of breaking them. I can sell them (I sometimes buy valuable first editions or discover that some older book I own is now out of print and important to certain collectors).

You can't do any of that shit with a Kindle, except obligate yourself to buy a device that is compatible with your "electronic book collection" for the rest of your fucking life.
I agree, I will stick to my collection of hardcovers. They look much better, too.. and your sleep hygiene will be better reading from a book, than from a screen.

Got a Kobo and never looked back. I can also download most books to see if they are worth buying.

Paperback books, but reading on my tablet has big advantages: I can change the font size to a accommodate my failing eyesight, and I can use a dictionary app to define words simply by highlighting them.

The physical medium of books will never become obsolete.

I truly hope so because going to book stores and browsing around is an extremely peaceful, cathartic experience for me. I go and browse at least twice a month, preferably more often.

Paperback books, but reading on my tablet has big advantages: I can change the font size to a accommodate my failing eyesight, and I can use a dictionary app to define words simply by highlighting them.

^ +1 on these sort of convenience and ergonomic aspects. I don't have great lighting in my home either, so reading a physical book strains the eyes a bit sometimes.

Also if I'm travelling on a bus or train etc., I don't really like carrying a book in my pocket or wherever. I tried that a couple times, but I like to travel as light as possible. Lately I've been downloading Youtube lectures of things I'm interested in into mp3 format and listening to that on my phone while I ride. It's really nice, I can learn a bit and the travel time goes by quickly.

Same for me. I modernized and went the ebook route for the longest time, fucked with audiobooks a little too, but it was so satisfying to finally hit up paperback again

I still like audio books for when I'm running or walking the dog, but other than that paperbacks all the way.

I truly hope so because going to book stores and browsing around is an extremely peaceful, cathartic experience for me. I go and browse at least twice a month, preferably more often.

Similar but I enjoy going through charity shops which normally have a good selection of 2nd hand books. Not at home at the moment and toured the charity shops around here...ended up with 6 paperbacks to take home for less than the price of one new one..

Lol @ reading books in this age of smartphones and Youtube.

Yeah bookstores are my shit. I remember going to a huge used one in Portland (Called 'Powells' you should take a gander if you're ever there) and I could have spent a few hours in there easy. Sadly, while books will not become obsolete, I don't see how bookstores won't. I went into a Barnes & Nobles pretty recently and wondered how they are even still open.

I like both.
But a book is probably superior because you can read it when the power is out or if you are out hunting or camping you don't have to worry about batterie power.

Back