How Do You Think Tim Sylvia Would Have Fared With Today's Heavyweights?

Gabe

Saturdays are for the Boys
@Silver
Reaction score
The guy is an inch taller than Travis Browne, and he could knock anyone back in his prime. Do you think he could have hung with today's heavyweight division. I mean, the guy did beat Arlovski twice when Arlovski was in his prime.

He would have been beat up bad by any of the top 5 IMO.
Cain would destroy him, Wedum would submit him, and JDS would KO him.

At this best:

He'd lose to Barnett, Reem, Cain, JDS and Werdum

50/50 with AA, Mir, Nelson, Hunt, Browne, Stipe

He'd have a lot of success bit he wouldn't have fought for a title

Soon probably about as well as Browne is doing, maybe a bit better

Top 10 for sure. Maybe even top 5. There are few fighter around here that are as criminally underrated as Timmeh and HW is a historically week division.

Gabe
Gobe
Goobe
Goober
Goober Taylor?

Have you returned to us?

Probably 50/50 with most of the division. He'd get some wins but they could be pretty shitty performances.

I think he'd have trouble against Cain/Barnett and perhaps submission artists like Werdum/Mir (although I'd say its closer to a 50/50) but I think he beats the strikers (browne, AA, Reem and JDS) more times than not. Maybe less vs JDS than the other 3, but, Tim knew how to use his size. He fought like a big man. He'd put away Browne same way he did Gan and he'd probably fight smart and win a dec vs Overeem (or put him to sleep). Waldy said it above, he's definitely criminally underrated. He's still the only HW to defend the belt more than 2x maybe ever? lol

The Sylvia that fought and knocked out Ricco for the title would wreck most of todays current HW roster. The kinda middling, tentative and fatigued Sylvia we saw towards the second half of his ufc career would have mixed results but lose to anyone south of the top 8.

If you just took Tim in his prime and put him up against the current crop of heavies he'd probably get murdered. But it's not really a fair comparison. The training is just vastly different and more intense. If he was somehow younger and training through the system now, he'd do alright. Not spectacular, but pretty good.

He would lose every fight available.

The sport has evolved too much. Even at HW.

I remember when he was campaigning for the UFC to sign him again and Dana wouldn't drop the beef so he retired. I think he would have came back to win some and lose some. He was the best HW of the dark ages.

If you just took Tim in his prime and put him up against the current crop of heavies he'd probably get murdered. But it's not really a fair comparison. The training is just vastly different and more intense. If he was somehow younger and training through the system now, he'd do alright. Not spectacular, but pretty good.

You must not know Tim at all. Aside from the flash KO/sub loss vs Arlovski (which he avenged 2x) and the Mir loss, Tim during his UFC tenure was only "murdered" by 1 fighter. And he was decimated in that fight to the point he was KO'd, just beat up for 5 rounds was Randy. Fedor murdered him. That's it. Tim was a super solid HW and think he'd be able to be top 5 if Arlovski/Browne/Bigfoot all have been able to in the last few years.

If his opponents stood still and let him punch away, I would give Tim a puncher's chance.

His cardio would not allow him to last a full round of competition!

Don't read this and mention that one fight where he was more lean and fit then ever!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derik
Back