How does it feel to be knocked out by a punch?

Never been knocked out or really rocked, but I've been choked out a few times and I'd imagine waking up from it is a similar feeling.

I remember being in a choke and feeling fine, and then the next thing I know I'm on my back with someone waking me up. One time I don't even remember that; my first memory was already sitting up and looking around. Having 3-5 seconds of memory not encoded in your brain is very strange because you have NO idea what just happened. Very odd.

I also remember feeling very tingly in my head, like when you hang upside down from a bar or stand up too fast. I had a really odd taste in my mouth too, and I felt very thirsty. Some guys have told me you start sweating a lot but that's never happened to me.

I know that's not exactly what you were asking for but I thought I'd share.

I've been flash ko'd or seriously rocked by high kick to the neck behind the ear.

Basically a bang, lights go out and you sink through your knees.

flash KO'd and knocked on my ass, never saw the hit and don't remember falling just remembering thinking it was odd the ceiling had shifted to facing me and somehow the ground got behind me. took a split second to realize i was on the ground. popped back up quick but my legs didn't react too hot when i started moving around again, equilibrium was shot. felt like i was moving through soup.

doesn't hurt though, my eyebrow ridge was busted and i was bleeding pretty good but never felt it

You feel a tingle go down your neck (kind of like a brain freeze), and when the tingle stops, you're left to wonder why the hell you aren't on your feet anymore and how you got to where you are (got knocked by a bouncer once). There's also no pain until about 10 or so minutes later.

Only been knocked out once, and it was unfortunately during simple sparring.

I got cute with one of my boxing partners and I started doing karate footwork and karate punches. I shuffled my feet a bit and then quickly threw a gyaku zuki. He angled and threw a left hook right when I decided to do that. It was like, a split second of pain and ringing followed immediately by me looking up from the ground, still ringing, feeling disoriented and a tinge numb. We weren't going that hard, I just lunged myself into his punch, so I was really out of it... wasn't expecting to get knocked out... left quite a mark too.

Haven't been ko'd but have been hit hard by big guys and rocked. It is very hard to describe, you get dizzy, everything just kind of stops and shatters, it's kind of like running into a wall.

Got rocked last week for my first time in sparring. This dude is probably like 10 or 15 pounds lighter than me, and it wasn't necessarily a very hard shot, but it got me right on the chin; I felt my head whip around, too. I saw stars and everything was spinning for a second. He asked me if I was alright and I needed I break, but I kept going. Even so, I felt sluggish and tired.

You don't really feel a knockout punch... you just wake up and have no idea what happened or that you even got knocked out, so it seems.

You cant think or process anything for second, you pretty much have the brain of a goldfish until you recover, I was wondering why everything had turned sideways one time I got nailed on the chin turns out i was on my ass haha

Ive been knocked out before but not by punch, by getting a spinning hook kick to my jaw. I remember laying there hearing everyone around me but I was too tired to open my eyes and was trying to take out my mouth piece but I didnt have the motor skills to do it. ever since then I could crack my jaw. its been about 16 years or so.

You cant think or process anything for second, you pretty much have the brain of a goldfish until you recover, I was wondering why everything had turned sideways one time I got nailed on the chin turns out i was on my ass haha

You think so?
Every time i've got rocked, it's like every synapse in my brain fires off at once and I think about a thousand things at once, sort of like being in a really crowded bar and hearing everyone's different conversations.

But the flash of light, jelly knees and curiosity as to where I am, yep, had that :)

Kind of a fun experience in it's own way. Not something i'd wish to happen all the time though.

I've only been knocked out one time, when I was 16 and tried fighting my dad (not play fighting). I was a tiny 120 lbs then, and he was well over 220 and had been boxing most of his life since he was 15.... I woke up with my a massive, pounding headache, my jaw ached a little, but other than that I don't remember anything.

I have no memory of the actual strike the two times I have been KO'd in street fights. One I got up straight away and tried to fight back but it got split up by loads of people. The other time I got head stomped and taked to hospital, memory of that is nil (plus I was very drunk, so that doesnt help the old memory)

Really weird feeling. Got KO'd by a kick (I think) in sparring. It's like one second you're on your feet the very next moment you're on your back and people are around you looking concerned. I threw my headgear off and got up not completely sure of what happened. about 5-10 seconds in I realized what happened.

Did not hurt at all

I think maybe a few hours later I had a slight headache but I drank water ate a good meal and went to bed.

Same as everyone else. Don't remember it happening, just remember being flat on the ground. Except it was like there was a lapse in time, and my brain had rationalized that obviously I was suppose to be sitting down, because why else would I be there? :redface:

Took a few seconds to put all of the pieces back together and decide that being on the ground wasn't appropriate. Pretty embarrassing when it happens, but only because you feel like the only person around who is out of the loop.

you usually see white, black or both and are a little delusional afterwards for a bit

A knockout can be several different things, and they all feel different.

Unfortunately, I've been KO'd one too many times, and have since had to retire from fighting.

The first time: I got KO'd in my first pro Muay Thai fight. I took a hit to the jaw that made my legs buckle, I collapsed to the ground like a sack of potatoes. I was still conscious, but discombobulated. I tried to stand up, but the ref called the fight.

The second time: I was doing some submission grappling with a new training partner for the first time. I clinched up with him and tried to take him down with a flying armbar. He responded by slamming my head into the mat, hard. I woke up about 30 minutes later with a major concussion, and no memory of anything that had happened at the gym. I was literally in lala-land. Lala-land is a state of bizarre lucid dreaming where time has no bearing. It had something to do with flying monkeys and talking refrigerators and as far as I could tell, it went on for days. Eventually, I woke up in the gym next to a boxing ring with a bunch of random people telling me what had just happened.

The last time I got KO'd: my last MMA fight. Here's what I remember. I woke up in the locker room all jazzed to go out and fight. I'd been training hard for months. I knew I had what it took to win. I was pumped. I told my cornermen I was ready to go out and get in the cage. They told me, "Dude, the fight is over. You got KO'd. And by the way, there's huge dent in your head now." The next thing I knew, I was puking up blood in an ambulance.

I didn't even remember walking out to the cage. When I watched the replay video, I took two solid punches in that fight. The first barely clipped my chin, made me buckle and collapse, hitting the back of my head on the floor, causing a concussion. The second punch (after I was already out cold) broke my skull in two places. I didn't feel anything at the time, but I still feel the effects of the broken skull every day.

Moral of the story, don't get KO'd. It's bad for your health.

A knockout can be several different things, and they all feel different.

Unfortunately, I've been KO'd one too many times, and have since had to retire from fighting.

The first time: I got KO'd in my first pro Muay Thai fight. I took a hit to the jaw that made my legs buckle, I collapsed to the ground like a sack of potatoes. I was still conscious, but discombobulated. I tried to stand up, but the ref called the fight.

The second time: I was doing some submission grappling with a new training partner for the first time. I clinched up with him and tried to take him down with a flying armbar. He responded by slamming my head into the mat, hard. I woke up about 30 minutes later with a major concussion, and no memory of anything that had happened at the gym. I was literally in lala-land. Lala-land is a state of bizarre lucid dreaming where time has no bearing. It had something to do with flying monkeys and talking refrigerators and as far as I could tell, it went on for days. Eventually, I woke up in the gym next to a boxing ring with a bunch of random people telling me what had just happened.

The last time I got KO'd: my last MMA fight. Here's what I remember. I woke up in the locker room all jazzed to go out and fight. I'd been training hard for months. I knew I had what it took to win. I was pumped. I told my cornermen I was ready to go out and get in the cage. They told me, "Dude, the fight is over. You got KO'd. And by the way, there's huge dent in your head now." The next thing I knew, I was puking up blood in an ambulance.

I didn't even remember walking out to the cage. When I watched the replay video, I took two solid punches in that fight. The first barely clipped my chin, made me buckle and collapse, hitting the back of my head on the floor, causing a concussion. The second punch (after I was already out cold) broke my skull in two places. I didn't feel anything at the time, but I still feel the effects of the broken skull every day.

Moral of the story, don't get KO'd. It's bad for your health.

Sorry to hear ya had to retire, man. You're one of the few people who has actually been there instead of most of the people who talk in here. Myself included. Cheers to you.

Back