How does your bjj academy promote ?

I don't think Marcelo Garcia is known for promoting fast- they are very organized when it comes to promotions and stuff though

In fairness, this was the first promotion post-pandemic reopening. It was pretty chaotic as these things go. I'm still purple a year later so it's probably all fine in the end!

Mix of attendance and skills shown. Mine seems a bit longer compared to neighboring schools but it seems to be working well.

I've never heard of a BJJ school promoting belt levels soley based upon attendance. I feel like those stories are urban legends.

I think a mix of B and C is the way to go. Sometimes you get people who excel in one area and win everything with that specific skill, but have massive gaps regardless of comp results.

I like the idea of each belt having set standards that include the ability to have a well rounded skillset and ability to pass that knowledge on. Not everyone competes and even then competition itself is so structured within the rulesets that it can favour certain strategies that lead to major deficiencies (guard pulling).

Helio himself said the black belt was about the ability to teach. What you wrote made me think of judo, how the best players have just a few techniques they use. But in order to teach, you need to have a working knowledge of pretty much everything.

I think that most black belts, especially at the beginning, have gaps.
I'm still at purple (injuries, academy jumping, and a couple other reasons) but I can't remember the last time I saw something I didn't understand. One of my friends, who trains at a different gym, got promoted to black belt last night. The last time I saw him, about 6 months ago, I was showing him how to north/south choke correctly. He really had no idea of the mechanics of it. Nothing wrong with that, he's very good and deserves that black belt, but to your point, that's a pretty big gap. Once you know how to n/s, you can catch them all over the place. I think pretty much anyone has gaps in their game.

Win your division consistently or atleast excel.

I've never heard of a BJJ school promoting belt levels soley based upon attendance. I feel like those stories are urban legends.

Or only from white to blue belt

Never saw a purple belt who was just ''attending''

B sounds like cheating to keep memberships up

My academy pretty much promotes on attendance, but it's really difficult to train for 9 or 10 years consistently (at least 2 or 3 times a week) and not be around black-belt level. I've been at my current school for about nine years and I can think of only two examples. One was a guy who has severe physical limitations, and the other is a huge meathead who never understood how not to try to outmuscle everybody.

No. My best friend trains at Gracie Baja and that’s how it is at that particular school.

He also has been training for five years and has NEVER rolled with his instructor

I currently go to a smaller school and it's based primarily on skill. I've trained at larger schools in the past, and it's definitely easier to get lost in the mix, but ultimately isn't that big of an issue. If you're good you're good, and everyone including your coach will notice.

No. My best friend trains at Gracie Baja and that’s how it is at that particular school.

He also has been training for five years and has NEVER rolled with his instructor

I have only been to one place where the instructor didn't roll regularly and that was years ago and purely based off injuries.
There was also a little bit of an issue around a TMA belt being worn as opposed to the actual BJJ level in photos, but the instructor was always open in person about the actual belt level.
This was 15+ years ago and he was still the highest level legit guy in a gi around that time regardless of wearing a JJ belt. He just was from a rural area and moved to another small area.
His belt was more legit than the other guys who all promoted each other in the area.

Both in striking and grappling now my instructors towel me up on the regular at the right level to make me work. It would be weird if they didn't.

I have only been to one place where the instructor didn't roll regularly and that was years ago and purely based off injuries.
There was also a little bit of an issue around a TMA belt being worn as opposed to the actual BJJ level in photos, but the instructor was always open in person about the actual belt level.
This was 15+ years ago and he was still the highest level legit guy in a gi around that time regardless of wearing a JJ belt. He just was from a rural area and moved to another small area.
His belt was more legit than the other guys who all promoted each other in the area.

Both in striking and grappling now my instructors towel me up on the regular at the right level to make me work. It would be weird if they didn't.

While there ofc might be different obstacles should be taken in account.
Like health, age and weight difference between guy A and B....

Usually decent SD or grappling instructors are rolling with normal guys...

TMA belts too are different.
Some clubs allow to get next belt only if you compete....
Unless you already are 35+ and had already proved something....
Then yeah....technical exam might be done....

About so called non conctact TMS....
IMHO stuff might be different, depends from sensei and club and org....

I had saw different stuff.
From ' paper ' till .....when you should be able to do successfully fitness tests in row in level enough good for a pro paratrooper.
For brown belt in TMA.

Also TMA ppl are different kind of ppl.
Most shocking difference level even in their opinion about fitness ans SC training.

From someone like typical librarian till... level when guy is looking like bodybuilder or a pro boxer if will remowe clothing. This....

Training methods and opinions too might be different.
From pushing air and yelling till real ability to deliver 100+ power punches on heavy bag with just hand wraps alone. Without gloves....

Unlike demo stuff with items breaking, when you use training like in pro boxing or KB....
U can't stop movement after had connected target just till 1-3 inches after contact happened.
When on brick or piece of wood in fast mode punch etc will be applied....

So if you train for SD, IMHO you mandatory need to use heavy bag, dolls with decent weight and sparring partner not smaller than you are......
This.

How does your bjj academy handle promotions ?

A) attendance based: show up enough times in a time frame, get a stripe or belt on the "due date". Is this alone enough to qualify an academy as a McDojo" ?

B) attendance based, but based on # of classes attended with no set date scheduled for "promotion". Similar to A , is this alone enough to qualify an academy as a McDojo?

C) entirely skill based only. If so, how is this determined? I imagine in a big academy with 100+ members this would be very difficult for the professor to individually habe time to assess each and every person for each and every belt, let alone each stripe. Obviously the ideal choice, but is it realistic in this day and age where jiu jitsu is now almost a main stream sport ?

D) mat time is a factor, but skill is a bigger factor. I test my guys now though. I want to see you actually use your skills in an uncomfortable pressure situation. Like someone trying to fight them. Even for a kid in my school to go from white belt to gray belt they have to be able to takedown and submit a bigger bully trying to aggressively punch them in the face ‍♂️

Back