How good a rock band is Guns N' Roses?

How good a rock band is Guns N' Roses?

• Total voters

Appetite was 10/10. Lies and the Illusions were 8.5 / 10. They have plenty of good songs that were never released as singles.

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long. Four good albums and kaput. They Highlander 2'd themselves with The Spaghetti Incident.

I'd politely argue it may have been the whiplash effect of the November Rain and Estranged videos that soured the "general" fan to Guns. They were the perfect albatross to Axl Rose's changing stature in pop culture.

I think sentiment towards Gn'R had changed by '92/'93 and it didn't help Cobain would slag on them every chance he got. Gn'R were no longer one of the cool kids like Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana, etc. etc.

What still blows my mind is the absolute poor mixing quality of the Illusion albums compared to The Black Album, Ten and Nevermind. Hard for me to listen to those albums today and Guns is my favourite band of all time.

I consider them the last and greatest of the Hair (spray) 80s rock bands.
Appetite was amazing, then the double album had solid songs, but was a clear sign they were on their way to become bloated and overproduced.
Axel's premadonna behaviour really shortened their time....but maybe better to burn out versus fade away.

PS..my ten year old son has now become a huge Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, grunge, rock guy.
Just very depressing having to tell him how all these awesome lead singers are....dead....sigh...
Layne's voice on River of Deceipt and Sea of Sorrow still blow me away today.

One of the goats. They are one of my favorite all time bands. Appetite for Destruction, and Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 are three of the most amazing albums ever made.
When Axl was young, he could really sing. I mean, his voice is absolutely weird and ridiculous but it worked. And musically they were very different from their contemporaries, though I think it may sound similar to hair metal like Ratt and Motley Crue to some people.

One of my favorites. First concert for me.

But, I gave them an 8 because they wasted their potential.

They were great because they had different influences and were able to combine the genres. They've got the punk edge combined with classic hard rock. I think many of their covers are also better than originals.

Got some absolute bangers for sure.

Slash is a great guitarist.

Never heard any album of their's that I thought was great as a whole, though.

Above average, IMO.

The original artwork for Appetite for Destruction is burned into my brain, I love it. My parents had the vinyl and I remember seeing it at like 6 years old.

Last edited:
They were a shooting star (not to be confused with Shooting Star, a very unjustly forgotten band )

Very brief, but brilliant for a while.

One of the GOATs no question. I mentioned this before but I’ll mention it again. I worked with a guy who’s daughter had a really rare form of cancer. He hated royalty because a royal came in to the hospital to take pictures then released footage on their birthday claiming they spent their birthday visiting sick kids (apparently she took a few photos and left).

He could not speak more highly of axl rose who was a secret patron of this ward (remember when he made bandannas cool again? That was a big deal to kids who’d lost all their hair). While his daughter was there Axl visited and spent the whole day and sent someone out to buy all the kids Nintendo’s and shit. This was around the time of Use your illusion and honestly with all the goings on back then I never pictured Axl to be the sort of guy to do that. He didn’t film it or have his people take photos, in fact I’d never heard of him doing any charity stuff until i worked with this guy.

Last edited:
I always thought Axel Roses voice sounds like what you would get if you crossed a 97 year old woman with a large cat then stepped on it.

You got one of the most intriguing voices in music with Axl Rose. I believe he has one of the greatest vocal ranges, let me know if that's true. In his prime of course.

In his prime, sure. He could hit notes that only Mariah Carey can hit. No joke.

Overall I think he had a five octave range, which would put him in exclusive company with rock singers. Very few have five.. Corey Taylor being another. Mike Patton I believe is the only rock singer with a six octave range.

Overall I think he had a five octave range, which would put him in exclusive company with rock singers. Very few have five.. Corey Taylor being another. Mike Patton I believe is the only rock singer with a six octave range.

If you like singers with good range check out the guy from Blacktop Mojo. They can't write their own songs for shit but their covers are great. I don't know how many octaves this guy has but he's a world class singer for sure.

I voted as one of the gods of rock bands. Maybe the most talent out of any rock band ever.

Perfect mix of talent, character and deceneracy at the time. Got big and literally imploded.

One of the GOATs.

Prime G&R was as good as it got. The only reason I didn’t give them a 10 is because of Axl losing his shit in concerts on a regular basis.

Appetite was 10/10. Lies and the Illusions were 8.5 / 10. They have plenty of good songs that were never released as singles.

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long. Four good albums and kaput. They Highlander 2'd themselves with The Spaghetti Incident.

A reference to both Blade Runner and Highlander 2 in the same post. I don’t know about G n R being among the GOAT bands but you’re definitely among the GOAT posters on Sherdog.

Eddie Vedder has a 5 octave range as well.

GnR were great in their day.

Back