How good was Anderson Silva when Chris Weidman beat him?

Not good enough to beat The Weidman, who is full of MMA.

Honestly I may have been blinded by my bias towards Silva, I didn't feel like or really see that he was starting to slow down but had heard rumblings, before he fought the Chris the first time, that he was starting to lose a step but seemed to still have god mode turned on.

Ironically, both Silva and Weidman seemed like they aged/broke overnight with Silva looking slower and slower each time out and losing to guys now he'd have probably ran through in his prime, and Weidman not being able to stay conscious long enough for us to see how past it he's really looking.

You don't think he knew he was landing almost every kick he threw and Chris was missing everything he threw in round 2? Just coincidentally at the same time he started to act way out of character, even for him? You honestly see no correlation between how excessive he got and it being the only fight his hero, known for taunting, was watching live?

You know. You just want to stick with your story that Silva didn't do shit, The Chris was just obliterating him, and scared him into closing his eyes.
He wasn’t thinking about RJJ, period.
The end of round 1 was a great example of his coach saying he admitted he was having a hard time hitting Weidman. He was landing some ineffective kicks and that was it. He was frustrated with Weidman’s distance control and keeping in his face but not to the point where it allowed Silva to find his range.
He was clowning because he wanted Weidman to fight out of character and he wanted to influence the judges.
I honestly feel like Silva saw that this fight wasn’t going well for him and he had no other option. He was never “in control” at any point in this fight.
Just how I saw it.

Anderson Silva is a counter fighter. He gets insulting when his opponents don't lead.

Counter fighters need something to work with, preferably lots of poor offense. And that's what he got none of.

Nothing to work with, no opportunities, just the fear of getting taken down, fear of losing, fear of pain, the fear of getting punched in the head, resulted in pure desperation and predictable behavior from Silva.
Exactly what I saw. You said it better though.

He wasn’t thinking about RJJ, period.
The end of round 1 was a great example of his coach saying he admitted he was having a hard time hitting Weidman. He was landing some ineffective kicks and that was it. He was frustrated with Weidman’s distance control and keeping in his face but not to the point where it allowed Silva to find his range.
He was clowning because he wanted Weidman to fight out of character and he wanted to influence the judges.
I honestly feel like Silva saw that this fight wasn’t going well for him and he had no other option. He was never “in control” at any point in this fight.
Just how I saw it.

So when Silva landed 5 out of 6, stuffed Weidman's only takedown attempt, and made Weidman miss every strike he threw, he wasn't in control?

You know what he was thinking and how he felt, and the level of his clowning didn't correlate to the success he started having or his hero being in the crowd, he was just scared and desperate from the minute and a half of top control from the first portion of round 1?

So when Silva landed 5 out of 6, stuffed Weidman's only takedown attempt, and made Weidman miss every strike he threw, he wasn't in control?

You know what he was thinking and how he felt, and the level of his clowning didn't correlate to the success he started having or his hero being in the crowd, he was just scared and desperate from the minute and a half of top control from the first portion of round 1?
I’m just going off of what I saw. And Silva’s coach seems to confirm that, along with Silva saying he was trying to induce him into playing his game.
But you’re going with he’s a liar and you know the actual reason.

Weidman didn't show poor offense in round 2 before the ending sequence? Are you sure?
So you’re saying that in the minute and like 16 seconds of round 2 that included Silva getting knocked out, you were able to see Anderson establishing control and Weidman having poor offense?

You don't think he knew he was landing almost every kick he threw and Chris was missing everything he threw in round 2? Just coincidentally at the same time he started to act way out of character, even for him? You honestly see no correlation between how excessive he got and it being the only fight his hero, known for taunting, was watching live?

You know. You just want to stick with your story that Silva didn't do shit, The Chris was just obliterating him, and scared him into closing his eyes.
Just rewatched the full fight.
There was too much clowning. Even with AS standards. I can't tell what it is, but there must be some factor that pressed him to do that excessive clowning. RJJ can be one. And Wejdman was having success too. Weidman was leading the game.
I think if he stopped clowning and took the fight more serious and respected Wiedman's power, he could have won the match. But he didn't.
I love Silva. I sometimes rewatch his fights. It never gets old. But he was losing that game with Weidman. He got better at Rd 2 but still not winning. If he kept chopping Weidmans leg and stopped clowning, he could have won. But he didnt. I don't know what I'm trying to say. Maybe a Thank you for giving us that fight video again I guess.

So you’re saying that in the minute and like 16 seconds of round 2 that included Silva getting knocked out, you were able to see Anderson establishing control and Weidman having poor offense?

It started at the end of round 1. Weidman was landing absolutely nothing in round 2 while Silva was landing at will and acting like an idiot. Are you suggesting Weidman was in control for that portion of the fight while doing nothing?

It started at the end of round 1. Weidman was landing absolutely nothing in round 2 while Silva was landing at will and acting like an idiot. Are you suggesting Weidman was in control for that portion of the fight while doing nothing?
Weidman was in Silva’s face the entire fight, including round 2. But it frustrated Silva because he wasn’t able to establish his range.
Pretty simple.

Just rewatched the full fight.
There was too much clowning. Even with AS standards. I can't tell what it is, but there must be some factor that pressed him to do that excessive clowning. RJJ can be one. And Wejdman was having success too. Weidman was leading the game.
I think if he stopped clowning and took the fight more serious and respected Wiedman's power, he could have won the match. But he didn't.
I love Silva. I sometimes rewatch his fights. It never gets old. But he was losing that game with Weidman. He got better at Rd 2 but still not winning. If he kept chopping Weidmans leg and stopped clowning, he could have won. But he didnt. I don't know what I'm trying to say. Maybe a Thank you for giving us that fight video again I guess.

It was a combination of the two, obviously. Of course he was goading and taunting. The extent he went to wasn't out of desperation and "his only option", as the GSP Chihuahuas want it to be. It's the exact opposite. He became overconfident and was showing off, excessively, in round 2, once he had started having success.

Again, Weidman missed 52% of the total strikes he threw, and 63% of his significant strikes. The taunting and goading was working, Silva took it too far by closing his fucking eyes.

Weidman was in Silva’s face the entire fight, including round 2. But it frustrated Silva because he wasn’t able to establish his range.
Pretty simple.

So Weidman was in control by being in Silva's face and landing nothing, including his takedown, but Silva wasn't in control for making him miss, stuffing the takedown, and landing 83% of the strikes he threw? Totally makes sense.

It was a combination of the two, obviously. Of course he was goading and taunting. The extent he went to wasn't out of desperation and "his only option", as the GSP Chihuahuas want it to be. It's the exact opposite. He became overconfident and was showing off, excessively, in round 2, once he had started having success.

Again, Weidman missed 52% of the total strikes he threw, and 63% of his significant strikes. The taunting and goading was working, Silva took it too far by closing his fucking eyes.
That's so true. Anderson was finding a clue at RD 2. His excessive taunting was another form of giving up I guess... Chael was winning for 4.5 rds but he didnt do that kind of thing. Maybe he felt that this Weedman dude is no joke, a real big deal?
vs Weidman has highest Clowning time/Match time % amongst every Silva's fights.
It was really weird. I still can't understand it.

So Weidman was in control by being in Silva's face and landing nothing, including his takedown, but Silva wasn't in control for making him miss, stuffing the takedown, and landing 83% of the strikes he threw? Totally makes sense.
Yep, that whole 1 minute and 16 seconds that included Silva clowning and then getting knocked out, told us A LOT about Silva’s CONTROL.
Let’s agree to disagree.

That's so true. Anderson was finding a clue at RD 2. His excessive taunting was another form of giving up I guess... Chael was winning for 4.5 rds but he didnt do that kind of thing. Maybe he felt that this Weedman dude is no joke, a real big deal?
vs Weidman has highest Clowning time/Match time % amongst every Silva's fights.
It was really weird. I still can't understand it.

If I'm seriously threatened by an opponent, more than ever before, and am feeling like I have no way to win, I guess the only option is to close my eyes?

Oh, now I get it.

Yep, that whole 1 minute and 16 seconds that included Silva clowning and then getting knocked out, told us A LOT about Silva’s CONTROL.
Let’s agree to disagree.

Weidman didn't take control until Silva closed his eyes and he threw the combo that knocked him out. Even then, it was more a result of Silva being an idiot than Weidman taking control. You know that.

A guy who literally had zero success for the entirety of the round was not in control of the guy shutting him down and landing at will.

Weidman didn't take control until Silva closed his eyes and he threw the combo that knocked him out. Even then, it was more a result of Silva being an idiot than Weidman taking control. You know that.

A guy who literally had zero success for the entirety of the round was not in control of the guy shutting him down and landing at will.
And this all happened because of Roy Jones Jr?

Back