@purple
Reaction score
eUWIsbISk0vg2uTKX6Zp1Iou7TO.jpg

Notable wins over:

- Heath Herring
- Minowaman
- Phil Baroni 2x
- Robbie Lawler

Almost 11 years that we lost a great fighter. Looking back at his career, how good was Tanner?

Pretty damn legit and a tough match-up for anyone around that time.

I was always a fan of his.

VERY VERY good for his time. Wouldnt be top 10 in todays MMA. Thats how it is for most vets though. Good fighter and an even better dude. It sucked watching him try to make a comeback and get slept so bad lol. RIP Tanner!

He was better than Phil Baroni. But not as good as Rich Franklin.

Sad story.

For a guy who learn MMA via video and training in his garage....he was pretty damn good.

He basically taught himself MMA. Dude was great considering his circumstances.

Yea, in the Gholar fight he was basically a self-taught guy who trained by himself in his garage.

This was before the days of Clay Guida, when fighters were still fighting for peanuts.

He was great for the era and the limited training he had.

However, knocking out Terrell fucked him up. It gave him too much confidence in his standup and it cost him in his fights against Franklin and Loiseau. He should have stuck to his grappling and ground game. instead he stood and traded with both of them.

When you have 21 submission wins, sometimes its best to focus on what you are best at.

He was great for the era and the limited training he had.

However, knocking out Terrell fucked him up. It gave him too much confidence in his standup and it cost him in his fights against Franklin and Loiseau. He should have stuck to his grappling and ground game. instead he stood and traded with both of them.

When you have 21 submission wins, sometimes its best to focus on what you are best at.
and the reason he was able to tag Terrell was the threat of the takedown...

and the reason he was able to tag Terrell was the threat of the takedown...

? And? That wasn't my point at all. And frankly he probably wouldn't have chosen to roll around in David Terrell's guard. Terrell was a very high level BJJ guy.

VERY VERY good for his time. Wouldnt be top 10 in todays MMA. Thats how it is for most vets though. Good fighter and an even better dude. It sucked watching him try to make a comeback and get slept so bad lol. RIP Tanner!

This. I don't think he would translate well at all in today's MMA landscape, but it's not fair to past fighters to judge them in today's light. Every athlete is a product of the game at that time. Had they been a product of the sport at this time there's a good chance they would be a completely different fighter than they were.

Dude had a very old school face.. Kind of like an 80s or 90s guy face, one of those old school looking guys

A champion from an older era. Not defined by his skill set so much as his tenacity, perseverance and fortitude. His desire to learn would have made him a very good fighter in today's game, given the tools/information now available to the youngsters. Joe Rogan was fond of calling Tanner "The Warhorse" and that nickname fits his style and personality. He was reliable, durable, strong-and an early fan pillar for the UFC. He probably would not be a champion today, but he'd be a dark horse in the division and I'd wager he'd collect a few upsets before settling into gatekeeper status.

Today. Mid card material at best today. But man did he come to fight. And he was just a great person. Class act. RIP to a gentleman

He was tough as hell, gritty and had very good grappling.

He found his way to the top in a somewhat weak era but he also made himself into a UFC champ by teaching himself (with training partners) to fight.

I was a fan and it was tough seeing him lose to up and comers late in his career.

Enjoyed watching him fight. Seemed like a chill guy.
I remember reading that if he beat Yushin he was going to get a shot at Anderson Silva. Too bad. He deserved to headline a show and make some real money.

? And? That wasn't my point at all. And frankly he probably wouldn't have chosen to roll around in David Terrell's guard. Terrell was a very high level BJJ guy.
Dude i'm just confirming your statement...the only reason he had success with Terrell was the threat of the takedown...he never threatened Franklin and louiseau with it. He just stood and bang.

Back