How have your opinions of BJJ changed over the years?

Not being a BJJ player, I was unaware of berimbolos, 50/50's etc until reading through f12. I'm hoping the gym (Carlson Gracie), is more focused on 'traditional' styles as from what I can see that should be of more use in judo.

Haha, I don't think Wilson will be showing your berimbolo's or 50/50. Dickie and Simon's classes generally have a heavy judo emphasis as well.

For an average blue belt today to have a harder time choking out an untrained assailant than an average blue belt 10 years ago, one (or several) of the following would need to be true:
  1. The average blue belt is less technical today than 10 years ago.
  2. The average blue belt knows less about self-defense than 10 years ago.
  3. The average assailant is more technical today than 10 years ago.

I think it is that people are more aware of what is going on. Yes there are some people that still believe in the kung fu 5 fingers of death move.

But in general most people know or are aware how real fights are.

A friend of mine who calls BJJ gay and doesnt train in martial arts except muay thai. Got into a fight and he sprawled when the guy shot for his legs. Me and some buddies separated them. So nothing happened.

But a Muay Thai guy (my friend) who thinks BJJ is gay, reaction when some guy shot for his legs in a fight at regents park sprawled.

10 years ago the MT guy might not have sprawled.

I dont think it is because people focus less on self defense or less technical in BJJ but it just the average person knows more then before.

There is no way today Royce could pull off what he did in UFC 1, 2, 3, 4 with the same ease. Today guys know how to deal with a BJJ fighter.

I just think people are more knowledgable today then they were before. That is why BJJ is not going to be some magical art. Guys are are just more aware of what works and if they ever seen a MMA fight they know sprawl when some guy shoots.

I miss the underground nature of the beginning. (started in 96) I remember thinking how it would one day be popular. Then, in the dark days of the UFC 99-03, I thought it was a passing fad. When it finally went main stream I was happy. Then, I was annoyed at the "Tap Out" generation. Then, I liked the new IBJJF phase of my training. Then, I was bored by that. Then, I liked the fact that I could get six pack abs and hot chicks in my mid forties by training jiu jitsu. Then, I got bored of that as well.

I like the gentle playfulness now. I can do this into my old age at this pace. I still tussle with the young studs and go hard regularly. I don't worry about street fighting or MMA anymore. I just want to have fun.

I used to size up everybody I met. "I'd take that guy down. I'll kick that guy in the nuts. I'll have to rag doll that guy. " I used to think I was a tough guy and I was pretty tough. Luckily, jiu jitsu taught me that I am not that tough.

Jiu jitsu, thanks for the humility.

I miss the underground nature of the beginning. (started in 96) I remember thinking how it would one day be popular. Then, in the dark days of the UFC 99-03, I thought it was a passing fad. When it finally went main stream I was happy. Then, I was annoyed at the "Tap Out" generation. Then, I liked the new IBJJF phase of my training. Then, I was bored by that. Then, I liked the fact that I could get six pack abs and hot chicks in my mid forties by training jiu jitsu. Then, I got bored of that as well.

I like the gentle playfulness now. I can do this into my old age at this pace. I still tussle with the young studs and go hard regularly. I don't worry about street fighting or MMA anymore. I just want to have fun.

I used to size up everybody I met. "I'd take that guy down. I'll kick that guy in the nuts. I'll have to rag doll that guy. " I used to think I was a tough guy and I was pretty tough. Luckily, jiu jitsu taught me that I am not that tough.

Jiu jitsu, thanks for the humility.

This post is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Too late...

WTF did I just read? Are they having a laugh, or...

Personally at first I was all about self defense. Now I'm much more interested in sport jiu jitsu.

Some people feel things like double pull and the berimbolo game, are useless. But I feel, this all depends on your goals. If you have no interest in competition, that's fine, play the game you feel would work best in a street situation. If you love sport jiu jitsu, theirs nothing wrong with that either. Do what makes you happy and what pushes you toward succeeding at your goals.

I started to prep for MMA, or NHB back then, after watching early UFC and PRIDE.

I felt it was the most awesome and tiring training ever back then and it became my all-consuming passion.

Nowadays I gravitate more towards MMA again and have found a fresh love for boxing as it is something technical I can still do at my age.

But I really miss BJJ and the tight-knit community I spent so much time with.

I've also noticed that people in general nowadays seem a lot less tough and more prone to complain about getting smashed, crossfaced, other guys using strength, etc. Also, people complaining about getting tapped to many times or thinking more experienced guys should go easy on them.

Oh yeah that is definitely true. Guys complaining when you are putting a lot of weight on them, crossfacing, or my very favorite..you snatch up a RNC and they drop their jaw right into it and start complaining. (It started under the jaw and they drop their chin in and then start complaining)

On a couple occasions I had to say...'Dude, you dropped your own jaw in there when it was already on..what do you expect?'

I guess they think dropping their chin in their is like a combo breaker..you have to stop squeezing at that point.

If it starts out on the jaw, I'm not going to start squeezing the hell out of their face. But if it starts under the chin and they drop their chin in..they asked for that discomfort IMO.

Oh yeah that is definitely true. Guys complaining when you are putting a lot of weight on them, crossfacing, or my very favorite..you snatch up a RNC and they drop their jaw right into it and start complaining. (It started under the jaw and they drop their chin in and then start complaining)

On a couple occasions I had to say...'Dude, you dropped your own jaw in there when it was already on..what do you expect?'

I guess they think dropping their chin in their is like a combo breaker..you have to stop squeezing at that point.

If it starts out on the jaw, I'm not going to start squeezing the hell out of their face. But if it starts under the chin and they drop their chin in..they asked for that discomfort IMO.

yeah, one guy totally went mad when I kept squeezing.

I think his instructor is to be blamed.

yeah, one guy totally went mad when I kept squeezing.

I think his instructor is to be blamed.

Yeah, apparently submitting from pain and not a lock or a choke is not an option.

Or if you do submit to pain it is somehow less valid...you can kind of rub the sore spot and think "Jeez that was cheap."

Yeah, apparently submitting from pain and not a lock or a choke is not an option.

Or if you do submit to pain it is somehow less valid...you can kind of rub the sore spot and think "Jeez that was cheap."

I had his teeths marks on my forearm but no he will not tap and then managed to get pissed at me after the roll.

I am sure there are more pussies in the sport, but I think that is because there are more people in general. Still a lot of tough as nail grapplers out there.

I haven't had anyone complain in a long time, but I still squeeze even when they tuck their chin. Just tucking the chin is a really bad defensive move. I won't crank, but I will slowly apply pressure. Sometimes I will switch arms quickly, sometimes I won't. They either lift up their chin to alleviate the pressure or they tap. My instructors did the same to me.

I used to think it was a really good art for self defense. I think it's a good last option and I don't think it's the optimal solution.

I used to love bjj. After 7 years and 3 stripes on the brown I am feeling very lackluster about it and have for a few weeks now. The only reason I show up to class is to get my black belt and it is really showing that I don't want to be there. I don't care at all about attending class but I feel like I'm so close I should just hold out.

Wrestling has sparked some of that interest. I don't mean just takedowns, I mean the sport of wrestling is fun to me. It's cool to learn new rules and have to deal with new scenarios. I also enjoy the greater physicality and feel that I have a very limited window to wrestle now that I'm in my late 20's. Also it's nice to interact with more people who are in their 20s.

When I first began, improving was my #1 goal. I didn't really go to bjj for the social aspect of it all. Strangely enough that's the most important factor for me now. I obviously still want to improve but my priorities are different now. I just want to roll with my friends and have fun. If I never get better I honestly wouldn't care. Bjj isn't this serious thing to me anymore. It's what I do in place of any other social activity.

I think it's very interesting to see how the art has basically become open-source.

The rate of growth and change is happening so fast. If you take 6 months off right now and come back, you could potentially miss out on a lot of stuff. That wouldn't have been the case when I started training.

We used to read results from Worlds or ADCC and we had to wait for the DVDs to drop and then we could discuss technique on forums like this one.

These days Worlds or ADCC (or a million other events) are live streamed, and BJJ Scout (or other channels like it) have super detailed breakdown videos up within a day or two of the techniques and strategy being used.

Then on Instagram you can see people's creativity expanding the game too. I saw a great saddle entry the other week and I'm surprised I'd never thought of this or seen this before. This level of advancement in knowledge of the game overall I never would have imagined would become a thing.

I think it's very interesting to see how the art has basically become open-source.

The rate of growth and change is happening so fast. If you take 6 months off right now and come back, you could potentially miss out on a lot of stuff. That wouldn't have been the case when I started training.

We used to read results from Worlds or ADCC and we had to wait for the DVDs to drop and then we could discuss technique on forums like this one.

These days Worlds or ADCC (or a million other events) are live streamed, and BJJ Scout (or other channels like it) have super detailed breakdown videos up within a day or two of the techniques and strategy being used.

Then on Instagram you can see people's creativity expanding the game too. I saw a great saddle entry the other week and I'm surprised I'd never thought of this or seen this before. This level of advancement in knowledge of the game overall I never would have imagined would become a thing.

Garmo is a beast. Really high level leglocker. Majestic facial hair as well.

Back