How many of you have cauliflower ear?

Straightcross

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And how long had you been practicing when you first got it?

Wonder how common it really is. Hear a lot of people also drain it with a syringe but that sounds both dangerous and nasty

got it on both ears. Thought I'd neevr have it; first popped after about 6 years.

And how long had you been practicing when you first got it?

Wonder how common it really is. Hear a lot of people also drain it with a syringe but that sounds both dangerous and nasty
I've had my 12 year olds right ear drained already. He's wrestled for 5 years and also does bjj. He wears head gear in wrestling but not in bjj. My 10 year old despises wearing head gear but I make him while wrestling. He's also wrestled for 5 years and does bjj. High school and college wrestlers drop in their wrestling club practices quite often. I would venture to say that about 75% of the high school kids have it.

I get all the pre-cursor signs and symptoms, but they never swell up or anything. I just end up with small hard lumps all over my ears and it looks like it's been chewed on or something but never swelled.

I have a theory that somehow I am immune to cauliflower ear, and drunkenly bet my friend that I was once (a few years ago). I let him crush my ear with pliers for $50. Still no cauliflower. I may be immune.

No Cauli here.

5 years of folkstye
6 years of Judo
1 year of BJJ

Having no Cauli and a white belt gave a few folks a false sense of security in my early days at the club both at Judo and BJJ

ive trained bjj for 6 years and still have no signs of cauliflower ear

8 years of bjj and no cauli yet. I guess I have stretchy ears, because god knows I've been caught in enough triangles to get it.

I used to drain my ear all the time when I played a lot of half guard. Ever since i started playing mostly butterfly guard, I didn't have get them as much.

After going to a Faria seminar, I went through a phase where I was using the over under as my go to pass. Got cauli within the first two weeks.

I've been grappling for about 3 years and I've never had to have anything drained yet. I do have small hard "bump" all over both ear lobes, and my left ear looks more red and "puffy" all the time. It looks permanently swollen but no giant lumps or anything so I dunno.

I have a theory that somehow I am immune to cauliflower ear, and drunkenly bet my friend that I was once (a few years ago). I let him crush my ear with pliers for $50. Still no cauliflower. I may be immune.

Easy big fella!

Right ear has a touch, from years ago, then off the mats for years. My headgear was in my bag in the garage, and had literally disintegrated. I'm getting a touch again, this time inside my ear. I'm training three times a week, for a couple hours, not five times for three of four hours like I used to, so a bit more time for my ears to recover.

Need to get some new headgear.

I have a little bit in both ears. I've drained both with a syringe, it's not nearly as bad as it sounds.

Ears hurt sometimes, enough to keep me sleeping on one side of the pillow, but not that bad. When that happens, or if I get a bubble in an ear that I have to drain, I wear headgear for a while until the soreness goes down. It's enough that people who know about it comment on it, but not enough that people who don't know can tell.

I went about 15 years (off and on there for a few of those years) no cauliflower. I trained at a school I had never been before while traveling for work and the guys were a little aggressive trying to defend their turf. I knew right away when the guy hit me. I didn't drain and it's not too bad. Funny thing is last week I was traveling some where new and I got a bloody bridge of my nose and a little shinner. Some schools don't like new guys. :)
Doesn't bother me though.

Only time I get it is if I'm training with someone with good triangles.

Twenty years of grappling and I got my first knot in about the first year.

Easy big fella!

Lol. It hurt a bit, but the 160 proof that had already led to that decision being made helped to ward off the pain a little too. It throbbed and went red, one part looked like it was starting to swell and then it went back down.

I think it means I'm immune though.

No cauliflower ear for me thanks to my ear guards.

Back