How much of the UFC's and the Fighters' success is owed to Conor McGregor?

PlatinumColbyCovington

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Surely, the promotion and the fighters are making a hell of a lot more money and getting much more exposure solely because of McGregor? Even the fact that the fighters are now taking initiative dressing up and putting the work into promoting themselves could be credited to Conor. They should all be thankful.

Conor making more money doesn’t equal all the fighters making more money.

UFC was there before McGregor and will be after McGregor.

I know some of you nuthuggers refuse to believe MMA existed before him, but I assure you it did.

Conor has been good for Conor, the fighters who've fought him, the Fertittas, Dana and the people who cover MMA.
He's done nothing much for anyone else.
I guess he's +1 to phone sales replacing the one he smashed up too.

How much food do you want, troll?

He has played a huge role in increasing fighter pay and what is possible to negotiate

Unfortunately many fighters are ill advised on their value for just becoming a champion and out price themselves , leaving fans in a state of wtf they want to fight Mayweather too

Or how much Conor McNugget's success is owed to the UFC?

Conor and Rousey being hot certainly helped drive up the price on the UFC sale. Hot name like Conor also plucked the ears of ESPN in their consideration to get in business with the UFC. We have no way of knowing just how much the difference would've been had he not been around and as popular. Individually a number of fighters take note of Conors success will try to pattern some if not most of it. Colby some would say is that perfect example. There is a Conor factor but measuring it is difficult.

Nate Diaz and Khabib have benefited but you could argue he's hurt other fighters. UFC pays their top few guys well which drains the payroll for other fighters. Honestly, I haven't seen compensation numbers climb too much.

Surely, the promotion and the fighters are making a hell of a lot more money and getting much more exposure solely because of McGregor? Even the fact that the fighters are now taking initiative dressing up and putting the work into promoting themselves could be credited to Conor. They should all be thankful.
GSP was the first person to dress up at press conferences and legitimize the sport.

Conor helped the UFC get bigger but not necessarily better. In fact, he probably has made it worse. Now everyone is playing hardball and asking for money fights left and right.

UFC was there before McGregor and will be after McGregor.

I know some of you nuthuggers refuse to believe MMA existed before him, but I assure you it did.
I think all the hatred and anguish you experience on a regular basis regarding Conor has caused you to miss the point entirely.

I'm not surprised.

Conor’s don’t a lot for
Mma when the history books close it will show

Conor making more money doesn’t equal all the fighters making more money.
Except several fighters and even Conors enemy Ali have said otherwise. He boosted MMA further in popularity and in doing so there is more money for grabs.

Except several fighters and even Conors enemy Ali have said otherwise. He boosted MMA further in popularity and in doing so there is more money for grabs.

Ali manages Khabib who made more money because he fought Mcgregor. Unless non-Conor PPV sales have gone up in general there isn't more money magically up for grabs. Also the UFC profit share to fighters was and is low (compared to say, Boxing), there was already more money available for them to pay fighters more. They just don't see any reason to. The starting rate for non-famous fighters is still roughly the same AFAIK, ~14k or so.

Back