How much sleep do you guy get (for those that are 40+)

I'm 60 this August. I get about 4-6 hours per night. I usually go to bed at 10 and set my alarm for 5 to deal with the dogs or 4 on T, W, Th to get to the gym. I always wake up between 1 and 3 am. It's just a question if I fall back to sleep.

I work in finance and haven't slept through the night since Lehman Brothers went under.

I go to the gym typically 5+ hours per week. All BJJ.

It's not the same, but I'll usually grab a 2 hour nap Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

I'm much younger than 40 but my average time of sleep per night is between 9 and 10 hours.

57 in a few weeks, i get 6.5 to 7 hours during the week and up to 10 on the weekends. I train 5 days a week plus strength and conditioning. My key to minimizing injuries is bodywork from a chiropractor. Her style is a combination of stretching, massage, and body manipulation. It’s not enjoyable but has helped tremendously.

Turn 39 in a few months. I try to get at least 7. I also do BJJ and S&C. Getting 7 hours is a minimum for me anything less and I will feel it. Eating a lot more vegetables also helped my recovery a lot.

I need 9 hours of sleep every night to function well the next day.

Turn 39 in a few months. I try to get at least 7. I also do BJJ and S&C. Getting 7 hours is a minimum for me anything less and I will feel it. Eating a lot more vegetables also helped my recovery a lot.
what kind of veggies? And how exactly do you think it helps recovery? Like your muscles or your joints and stuff?

what kind of veggies? And how exactly do you think it helps recovery? Like your muscles or your joints and stuff?

Yea muscles and joints. I make large salads that I eat every day with my lunch. Cabbage, red onion, spinach, carrots. Then a large serving of broccoli with dinner. When I added the broccoli is when I really noticed better recovery.

Yea muscles and joints. I make large salads that I eat every day with my lunch. Cabbage, red onion, spinach, carrots. Then a large serving of broccoli with dinner. When I added the broccoli is when I really noticed better recovery.
Shit I gotta start doing that more regularly too. I don’t notice better recovery with veggies but just better shits lol. But either way I should do it

Sleep is the world's most effective performance enhancing drug. Ideal is try to give yourself time for around 9 hours or so.

If you're trying to do more work with less sleep, you aren't actually doing more work, you're just doing bullshit while going through the motions. If you want high value performance then you need to be on point. In other words, you can't afford *not* to sleep better.

42 and sleep about 7-8 hours on a good night which is rare

usually 6-7 hours on nights after I train bjj or muay thai, which really affects sleep, especially how much caffeine I take, I do lots of stuff to try and put me to sleep artifically, but the sleep quality isnt great

whats worse is if Ive had too much water, if I wake up after sleeping 2-3 hours to piss i can usually go back to sleep, but if i get up to piss after 5-6 hours? its near impossible

day time naps have helped a lot, great way to clear the adenosine cache, and train in evenings, especially because I lift in the mornings now

47 here, i need at least 8 hours a night, ideally 9 to 10h when i can, it makes an enormous difference on training.

Another key aspect is nutrition, my nutrition is always on point.
Recently i bought a masticating juicer, and its an amazing tool to add to your nutrition:
- https://www.thespruceeats.com/best-masticating-juicers-4140160

I do a daily juice of beetroot, broccoli, cabbage, ginger, curcuma, garlic, parsley, carrot and lemon.
Beetroot juice is an excellent performance enhancer, there are several studies on it:
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9860842/
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5295087/
- https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-017-0204-9

50 here. I’m lucky if I get 6, especially after bjj. My wife can sleep in if the opportunity presents itself. I just click awake at the same time every morning.

I wish I could sleep more.

Back