How surprised were you when Habib totally dominated D1 Gaethje on the ground?

ALl of you saying you are 'not surprised mofo', you do realizes that even Conor showed better wrassling defence than Gaethje?
Because Conor was cheating all the time with many different methods, Gaethje never cheated.

And, Gaethje's first round against Khabib > Conor's first round against Khabib,

Then Conor got 10-8 ed in the second round against Khabib, Khabib wanted to maul Conor and punish him for 5 rounds, didn't want a quick sub.

People are still using those credentials even though it’s been proven time and time again they mean nothing in mma.

I’m not shocked due to Khabib being a monster on the ground , but I did think Justin’s submission defence would be a little better

Justin was dangerous on the feet, the leg kicks caused a lot of damaged. But once Habib got a hold of him, it was all over. Habib absolutely dominated Gathje on the ground and the wrassling difference was so huge between the two, it made Gathje look like an amateur. Lets not forget Gaethje is D1 wrassler and Habib doesn't even have any wrassling credentials.

I for once for pretty surprised. I knew Gaethje was much better in the striking department, and I expected him to defend the takedowns and hold his own in the wrassling department long enough to make an impact in the standup war. There was no wrassling exchange, it was game over the moment Habib got the takedown. Complete domination from the champ. The D1 wrassler was overrun completely, this is something I did not expect to see at all. I was banking on Gaethje's D1 to neutralize the wrassling so that the fight can be only on the feet and I expected Gaethje to win. D1 was so embarrassed that night.

khabib-smash-gaethje.jpg

34991070-8892375-image-a-15_1603964175594.jpg

Anyone who wasn't surprised..... LAWL

GSP did this 10 years ago.....................

I’m pretty sure Justin has basically admitted he doesn’t train BJJ, so not that surprised

McGregor's wrestling defense has always been a little underrated imo.

*like*

I didn't mean to give you shit in our last exchange, in case you experienced it that way. I appreciated your answer though and I agreed with it. But I also was legit interested in what people read to come to their conclusions, and wasn't only trying to make the point you iterated. It's not always without merit.

On the ground? Not even a little. Getting to the ground? Eh no but it happens differently than I expected

Considering Khabib’s history of rag-dolling all previous opponents, no surprise.

Jon Jones getting the better of Cormier in the clinch wasn’t what I was expecting. When you consider Cormier’s Olympic pedigree and his success in tossing HW MMA fighters around it was impressive what Jon was able to do. Didn’t dominate, but was clearly better.

Cormier's back and knees were shot by that point.

Not as surprised as D1_Wrestler or whatever his name is

Pretty disappointed. Justin was doing well on the feet and I thought he'd at least give Khabib some trouble on the ground. It's like he had never wrestled in his life. It ended up being one of Khabib's easiest fights.

He really wasn’t doing well on the feet, he was in complete panic mode and looked completely gassed

No, not at all, I predicted Khabib would run through him, I like Justin but he has never wrestled in the UFC at all or even much in his WSOF days, has subpar takedown defence and almost non existent bjj. Also he is highly overated and didn't deserve to get to the title imo. He is certainly not a top grappler anymore.

ALl of you saying you are 'not surprised mofo', you do realizes that even Conor showed better wrassling defence than Gaethje?
Conor is a wanker, but his grappling is definitely a great deal underrated, people act like it is non-existent.

I wasn’t surprised at Khabib winning, but I was surprised at how easy it was for him to destroy Justin on the ground. I think even a blue belt would have put up a better fight.

Not very surprised, Gaethje has never been known for his wrestling in MMA, that and more often than not wrestlers are clueless on the ground when they are not on top.

D1 wrestlers are a bit overrated in MMA.

Not really, there's just styles of wrestling within D1/Folk that'll transition better.

Kyle Dake would be damn near impossible to take down for instance, why someone David Taylor would take people down with ease. Dake's stand up would need to be on point where Taylor's unreal cardio and pressure would make anyone wilt.

Justin was dangerous on the feet, the leg kicks caused a lot of damaged. But once Habib got a hold of him, it was all over. Habib absolutely dominated Gathje on the ground and the wrassling difference was so huge between the two, it made Gathje look like an amateur. Lets not forget Gaethje is D1 wrassler and Habib doesn't even have any wrassling credentials.

I for once for pretty surprised. I knew Gaethje was much better in the striking department, and I expected him to defend the takedowns and hold his own in the wrassling department long enough to make an impact in the standup war. There was no wrassling exchange, it was game over the moment Habib got the takedown. Complete domination from the champ. The D1 wrassler was overrun completely, this is something I did not expect to see at all. I was banking on Gaethje's D1 to neutralize the wrassling so that the fight can be only on the feet and I expected Gaethje to win. D1 was so embarrassed that night.

khabib-smash-gaethje.jpg

34991070-8892375-image-a-15_1603964175594.jpg

So many people saying they were not surprised. I was. Not that Khabibs grappling was better, but that it was so much better that it made it look like Gaetje wasn't even trying. people with less grapling credentials then Gaetje has given Khabib more of a fight in the grappling department.

Khabib fans before the fight were actively speaking out on how Gaethje was never a good MMA wrestler and had been taken down by strikers in the past, etc.

They were correct.

Now that Khabib's beat him suddenly Gaethje is this elite MMA wrestler with incredible TDD right? Lmao

I wasn’t surprised at Khabib winning, but I was surprised at how easy it was for him to destroy Justin on the ground. I think even a blue belt would have put up a better fight.

exactly. Gathje was helpless and clueless and was submitted fast. Where are those D1 All American credentials?

for a moment I really thought Justin was giving up, he looked so amateur in comparison to Khabib, even McG did a better job defending tkds and avoiding full mount

I wasn't surprised the Gaethje was dominated on the ground, but I had hoped his takedown defense would have been better than it was.
I think Gaethje maybe have a good defensive wrestling but this is MMA and you are fighting Khabib

though all in all, Gaethje is mentally defeated even before he hit the ground

Back