How talented of a striker was Tony Ferguson in his prime?

He relied on pressure, cardio, durability and creativity like others have said. His technique wasn't very refined but it didn't need to be either.

He was never a highly skilled striker but his ridiculous toughness and cardio covered up a lot of his deficiencies and made him a nightmare to fight.

not the best striker but very unorthodox with great cardio and chin at that time. It was hard to guess what his crazy move was next. Fun while it lasted.

It made no sense technically but his pressure was insane and beautiful to watch in his prime.

Not technical but super effective. He busted everybody up and landed.

Attachments

• F9F49092-2148-4A16-A763-4B1666FB43BB.png
    F9F49092-2148-4A16-A763-4B1666FB43BB.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
The rda fight was pretty impressive

His striking was trash tbh, offensive he was at best okay I’d say. His chin, cardio and relentlessness carried him mostly.

A top ten p4p in his prime. Hindsight, the second best lw for years

i dont think anyone thought he was a talented striker. tony was just really unorthodox and extremely violent. made for a fun combination

He was effective while being technically lacking.
His unpredictable offense made him a threat, yet left him exposed often, where he frequently got hurt and relied on his cardio, chin and heart to out last his opponents
So I'd say not very good. But he mixed everything so awkwardly well that it made no difference.

Going through some of Tony's fights during his huge win streak, his fights are incredibly entertaining but I'm actually surprised how far he got. I don't wanna say he's not talented, cause I think he is, but there's just some glaring holes in his game.

Everybody always knocked him for his crap defense and rightfully so. But offensively, how did you think Tony was? He obviously loves to swarm and pressure, he jabs good from both sides and he'd be a lot better with some of his other punching combos if he didn't leave himself so open to get countered all the time. Kicking wise I'm just not hat impressed, his leg kicks are very telegraphed and he doesn't really use round kicks to the body or head very often. Seems like he prefers that teep to kick the body.

His fight with RDA is IMO the only fight we really saw him fight with any intelligence, and he looked very sharp and crisp in 4 of those rounds anyway IMO.

What he lacked in technique, he made up for with unorthodox/unpredictability.
What he lacked in anything else he made up for it with toughness and the heart of a lion.

He also had real power in his hands and razor blades in his elbows.

Last edited:
He wasn't very technically proficient, but like other people have said, his style was quite unique and hard to train for.

Back