How to Ezekiel Choke Someone

goatfury

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
https://howtheyplay.com/individual-sports/How-to-Ezekiel-Choke-Someone

The Ezekiel choke is a powerful choke that most white belts quickly become acquainted with, both from the point of view of the person attacking and the person who feels as though their very existence is being wiped away. Seriously, Ezekiel isn't exactly a fan favorite for the person being choked; it can be applied from a wide range of attack positions, and while it might be easy to defend in isolation, if there are other threats on the table, it suddenly becomes a very easy, viable attack option. We'll take a quick look at two places to set up the Ezekiel, along with some subtle finishing details.

I like the Ezekiel because it’s easy to remember. I just never seem to end up in mount to be able to do it. <Fedor23>

I like the Ezekiel because it’s easy to remember. I just never seem to end up in mount to be able to do it. <Fedor23>
How about inside the guard? Used to be my go-to (before I was any good at BJJ).

I used to be great at catching it in scrambles. For some reason a couple of years ago, I just stopped doing it.

It's funny this came up because I asked one of my brown belt teammates for advice on it today. I intend to work it over the next few weeks to improve, and he always nails it in training and in competition even in nogi. I have been going for it a lot in the past and rarely get it (I hope to change that) but it usually provokes a response and the opponents lifts their arms or flares their elbow giving me an opportunity for an arm triangle or something else. So, it's still useful to open up other opportunities.

How about inside the guard? Used to be my go-to (before I was any good at BJJ).

I try that and I don’t get it. Usually they feel it coming and tuck their chin, or grab my head and pull it down forcing me to post. :(

If you can't get it from the back you can just switch to bow and arrow.

Back