How to fix weight cutting in the UFC.

ELIMINATE IT...

Pretty easy solution, period.

only true way seems to be the onefc path. no other options work as well
Exactly.
Why do you need to re-invent the bicycle? (Russian idiom)
ONE created the solution that should be adapted worldwide.

ELIMINATE IT...

Pretty easy solution, period.
How tho? Eye pokes are eliminated too

It's easy to just say stuff.

Do u mean no weight classes at all? U gotta explain

Why not have a fighter be within 10% of the weight limit 1 month prior to the fight, and then 2 weeks prior to the fight have them be within 5% of the weight limit, and then at 1 week out from the fight, have them be at least within 5% of the weight limit again. Then make weight +1lb on the day before. Also have it where on fight night, they are only 5% above the weight limit (no swelling up).

Also these %'s that I used can be changed but I think the premise could work.

how about banning weight cutting altogether?
Much simpler and more effective.

And just how would you do that? Say a guy comes in five pounds lighter in the weigh-in, and you challenge him on it. You know what he's going to say? "Oh, I had just used the bathroom, and I was so busy with media obligations that I forgot to eat anything." What are you going to do, call him a liar? Hire a guy to follow him around and write down every time he picks up a sandwich or uses the bathroom?

It's just not logical or feasible to ban weight cutting altogether, since weight fluctuations happen naturally. The best you can do is set a percentage limit, which, AFAIK, is what the UFC has already done.

Ban dehydration and move everyone up a weight-class (change HW to no limit). That way everyone will be fighting the same guys and feeling better.

only true way seems to be the onefc path. no other options work as well
The one fc path.

You mean the one where weigh ins are conducted in secret and no weigh in results are published?

You cite the "onefc path" without actually knowing what it involves

Exactly.
Why do you need to re-invent the bicycle? (Russian idiom)
ONE created the solution that should be adapted worldwide.
What solution?

Secret weigh ins and no published results

Everyone makes weight on one because the weigh ins are held in private

Essentially, you have to find a way to ban dehydration.
  • Licensing for a minimum weight class.
  • Do weigh-in after taking urine sample. Urine must be tested for hydration level.
  • Re-licensing for a minimum weight class after missing weight or proper hydration level.
A gravity urine test is very easy to beat.

The best solutiom with the least amount of effort is to weigh them as they enter the cage, over time averages will be established and the public demand for matches between fighters with significant weight deaparities and after an averages for given fighters are established the betting odds will reflect the trends of weight to results outcomes. And all you have to do is record one more stat and put a scale down.

Simple u must weigh in 1 hr before fight an cannot be more than 10 lbs over. So if Max fights at 145 he cant weigh more than 155 entering cage ........ max or Ortega never fight 145 fw again

Awesome. I mean you wrote two whole sentences I’m sure that tidied it up nicely

Put a scale in front of the cage. If someone wants to fight half dead, well that's natural selection.

That’s really not a bad idea.

There should still be a weigh in from the day before though.

how would u ban it? its easy to just say something..

eye pokes are banned. kneeing a downed opponent is banned.
And it is easy to weasel out and not answer.
One banned weight cutting.

It's really not that hard if you think about it. But you gotta think... I know it must hurt, but that's because you are not used to it...
I strongly advise you to try.

And just how would you do that? Say a guy comes in five pounds lighter in the weigh-in, and you challenge him on it. You know what he's going to say? "Oh, I had just used the bathroom, and I was so busy with media obligations that I forgot to eat anything." What are you going to do, call him a liar? Hire a guy to follow him around and write down every time he picks up a sandwich or uses the bathroom?

It's just not logical or feasible to ban weight cutting altogether, since weight fluctuations happen naturally. The best you can do is set a percentage limit, which, AFAIK, is what the UFC has already done.
LOL
sorry, ubt your example is just too stupid.

ONE banned weight cutting. Go check how they did it.
You will see that it is not so hard to do.

Wrestling, if I am not mistaken, also took steps to not allow wrestlers to do extreme cutting (after a wrestler died). Check it out how they did it.
DO you rather wait for a fighter to actually die before thinking about it without being an idiot doing so?
Hint: It has NOTHING to do with bathrooms.

It has to do with how hydrated fighter are while weighing them, and continuously weighting fighters (hint: they can't keep dehydrated for too long).

Much like the athlete's biological passport is helping against PED's, something similar can help against weight cutting.
If there ever was interest in banning weight cutting, they would have done it. easily.

But fighters don't want it (despite how detrimental to their own health this is), and the UFC doesn't want it (so they wouldn't be able to do all those champion moving weight and challenging the champion above/below).
And THAT is why we don't have it.

Pure unadulterated Greed.
This has NOTHING to do with science or inability to create a system that would support it.

Fight-Night weigh-ins. You will be forced to compete at your natural weight.

Back