How to increase punching power??

Been doing Knuckle Push-ups, heavy bag workouts etc.

What else to do?
Dip at the knees, bite down on your mouthpiece & let 'em rip. Everything else is going to increase your strength & conditioning but IMO 90% of punching power is natural. You're either born with it or your not. You can't manufacture a big puncher. You can mold & harness what power they do have in order to make it more effective but you can't build a puncher. Now, some people have their power right from the start like a Mike Tyson & some grow into it as they mature like a Thomas Hearns. Tyson began knocking everyone out from the time he was a novice while Hearns had 140-150 amateur fights & only scored 7 KOs. But when he turned pro he began to KO everyone. Some of it was due to a change in style from his stick & move amateur style to his more flat-footed style as a pro but he also filled out from the 132-139 lbs that he competed as in the amateurs to a solid 147 lbs as a pro almost overnight.

So, if you're an adult & you can't crack an egg don't expect to become a banger because you can lift all the weights you want but at the end of the day you'll just be a really buff guy that can't crack an egg.

dude it's the ass muscles that contract first, tyson had huge glutes, the other factor is neurological and you're pretty much born with it, drugs- steroids e.t.c. can help though

btw why does punching power matter? you only need 30% to knock somebody out if you place your punches properly

Last edited:
Are you sure?

I think it depends on the punch too. I can't imagine a straight punch being a pull motion and not a push motion.

It's a pull motion, pull of the lat and twist of the shoulder. Same reason why in karate you pull the fist back to your hip to drive it forward, you don't push your punching shoulder out - if I'm making sense.

Granted a straight punch IS a bit of both IMO

It's a pull motion, pull of the lat and twist of the shoulder. Same reason why in karate you pull the fist back to your hip to drive it forward, you don't push your punching shoulder out - if I'm making sense.

It's definitely a bit of both then. Your triceps for example extend and push when punching, especially for let's say a jab. The serrahus anterior also pushes the shoulder forward to increase the range of motion of the punches.

i have two of these in my local gym one like that and the other inclined
MG1500_purestrength_inclinechestpress_hero_01_22.jpg
is this good to increase punching power or will it slow me down ? im not lifting alot just boxing i tried it few time it make me work my triceps, chest, and shoulders

To me punching is more of a whipping motion.

is this good to increase punching power or will it slow me down ? im not lifting alot just boxing i tried it few time it make me work my triceps, chest, and shoulders

I say give it try and see what happens. From my experience, I really didn’t see any major carry over from heavy weight lifting to boxing, However, kettlebell swing had helped me a lot with my punches.

Look up the Instagram post and the YouTube video i posted above. A lot of useful information about punching power. this machine is probably not what you're looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO the best way to improve boxing is to do boxing. Olympic lifts wil help general functional strength and explosveness but in the end nothing helps as much as actually learning from good trainers and refining your punching and overall boxing technique ever better and better and practising what you learned on the heavy bag. Power is definitety concentrated in the lower body and proper boxing technique engsges the legs and hits and core as the power train.
I believe lats are also one of the most important muscles for punching. You can always tell a boxer hits hard when you see they have big lats.

Power is overrated. A well placed jab can knock you out, a full power haymaker that lands on the guard will do nothing. Work on your technique, speed and timing. Timing especially is what wins fights.

The hardest punch I ever threw was when I was hitting the mitts. My brain went into derp mode and I landed a hard straight right which knocked my coach right arm back. To this day, I never came close to producing the same amount of punching force. I looked into training the mind in getting into a zen like state, but I had no success.

Well all muscular movement involves the fibers pulling - muscle fibers don't push - so in that sense all punches are pulling movements ... :)

Seriously I do think all punches are pulling movements first and foremost because they are whipping motions and whips are pulling not pushing. I think how we envision the movement in our minds also affects our technique in how we throw the punch.

I punch hard. Real hard. Now when I started out, my punches were shit. You always hear these stories about great punchers being born. Well, not me. Or atleast my technique sucked enough to where that didn't matter. Now to punch hard your whole alignment needs to be correct. Shifting of the feet, knees turning with it and it needs to come fully from your body. When I hook, my punches come solely from my body. I relax my arms and whip it while tightening out in the end. Some of my training partners that kickbox have weird slapping hooks and flaring straights that take away the power. I know the reason, mainly kicks. But that is another subject.

Punching power will come, some punch harder then others. In my opinion, everyone can throw sufficiently hard after a while. The real thing you need to have is speed. A healthy balance of speed mixed with explosive power is king. This needs to be done without compromising form. Never compromise form. A boxer will hit hard, but there is always some fat drunk construction worker with shit form who will throw an overhand hard fast and strong as fuck. The difference between us and that construction worker is, we can replicate that near power with correct form, better accuracy and near the same power 5x times in the the 1x he throws his overhand.

The thing that really gave me control over my power, is ironically punching faster, not putting all my power in every punch, which allowed me to gain control over when I would turn it on while not tensing up and feeling like my bicep is getting torn from my arm at the end of a session. Speed kills.

Honestly for near every hobby athlet punching power simply comes from training boxing more. We all lack fundamentals. Getting better in technical execution is key. I got more pop out of my punches when I avoided any strenght training and slimmed down from 88kg to 83kg by only doing boxing training.

Sure the last 5% you could do some other exercises . Right now I cant go into group training so I do a lot of shadow boxing. This helps me more than doing strenght training or plyometrics in keeping power in the punches. But also keep in mind I am no competition boxer.
I dont even know if I am a powerful hitter. Doubt that.

There's much debate on that actually. The "re-discovered" interpretation of Hikite aka "pulling hand" (sic!) should be used for pulling your opponent into a technique (strike, elbow, throw, lock etc).

The reasoning you're giving has been around for some time but as seen in boxing, you don't have to pull the other hand way back to the hip to teach proper shoulder movement.

There's much debate on that actually. The "re-discovered" interpretation of Hikite aka "pulling hand" (sic!) should be used for pulling your opponent into a technique (strike, elbow, throw, lock etc).

The reasoning you're giving has been around for some time but as seen in boxing, you don't have to pull the other hand way back to the hip to teach proper shoulder movement.

It's not a matter of having to, it's just why the pulling hand is an effective teaching tool - boxers don't tend to do it, but can still be useful!

Along with perfected technique..

Explosive based strength training, explosive reps, heavy weight, low reps..

A number of videos on YouTube could help..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltonmjr
Back