How To Make More Money With PERFECT KICKBOXING?

PERFECT KICKBOXING

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I know it's a very good kept secret, but I'm the owner of the very well known and prestigous news website PERFECT KICKBOXING. My question to the kickboxing/muay thai community is if you guys have any advice to make some money out of this. My passion for kickboxing only goes so far.

facebook hasn't earned me a cent so far, so theres that. don't think there is actual money doing "news coverage" like we do. sold any Coffee Mugs so far?

reaching out to Promotions, to work for them is probably the only thing.

they only real money is partnering with these organizations and/or steaming services to get a piece of the online ppvs your site can sell to readers.
You can also get the organizations to pay for ads on your site for upcoming shows but unless your getting millions of hits s month thats only going to basically cover the server/bandwidth of a site

You are not going to.

Would be cool if a bunch of sites/people would gang up and try and do consistent ok coverage of the sport. That'd be something to maybe try and grow into something. Now there's basically just a bunch of tiny sites and most vanish after going way too hard at it for a year or two :)

Aside from the ideas that others have already mentioned, a few very marginal ones:

Patreon, depending on how loyal your website visitors are.

You already probably have ads on your website.

You could write a book about the kickboxing game and advertise it on your website, though that would be a lot of work for minimal payoff, probably.

Fighters barely make money in this sport, good luck.

To make direct money from kickboxing journalism? Absolutely zero chance. No chance whatsoever. If money is a motivator, stop now. The list of people making a living in this industry is not a long one.

one thing I would change immediately: Everything is posted under the name 'Admin'

Change that to the author's name. That's the very first thing I would do.

Second, it looks like a fight card and results aggregator. I don't see any editorial and I don't see a news stream (interviews, embedded videos, quotes, stuff like that)

Am I looking in the wrong place or do you not have that kind of content right now?

Try and post about Badr Hari once per week minimum. I am not joking. His name is one of the leading search terms for anything kickboxing related. Same like newspapers use celebrities and the royal family to suck fangirlz in, use Badr items and tagging to raise your SEO and draw more traffic.

Chase some original content - all you need is a phone, FB Messenger, whatsapp and you're good to go. Why is D'Angelo Marshall calling out Badr on the GLORY site? Does Jaraya really think he can handle Murthel at 77kg? What's the favorite KO memory of Manhoef's career? Go and dig out original comments, original answers, new interesting things for fans.

Also, again looking to SEO and search terms, I would add some training technique content. "How to ...." is a very popular search term. You can easily find and embed instructional items and create a training stream with minimum one post a week (Throwdown Thursday: publish a full fight video ; Training Tuesday - publish training video)

Sit down and make a calendar; right now all your stuff is reactive - "ORGANIZATION X just announced a card, I will publish the card on my site"

There are 52 weeks in a year; if you sit down and say OK, I am going to make some regular weekly posts (Throwdown Thursday, Training Tuesday, Big Ass Monday or whatever the fuck) then now you know OK, that's 52 posts per year for each of those content-streams. Voila, you can now source and plan 156 posts over the next 12 months (not all at once obviously; a few weeks at a time)

Last edited:
To make direct money from kickboxing journalism? Absolutely zero chance. No chance whatsoever. If money is a motivator, stop now. The list of people making a living in this industry is not a long one.

Just to add to this - broadly speaking, I personally would use it as a CV for trying to get work in the industry (good) or the MMA industry (better) or the wider sports industry (best). Or some sort of online content company (LadBible for example). Make it your calling card.

The site itself looks clean and polished; not bad at all. It's the content depth that would get my overhaul.

Use it also to practice different types of content creation. In the process you will be forced to learn how to use Photoshop, how to film video and edit it on Final Cut or Premiere, stuff like that. All very valuable skills. I knew none of them when I first started MMA blogging in 2006.

When you go to the gym you don't just hit one technique on the bag every time. You do different ones and you put combinations together and you get better and better.

Same on your site; different techniques, different content types. Then you start stringing them together - a 3min video interview becomes a Youtube video, a newstream video post, a 60sec Instagram video post, a Twitter screengrab with a typed quote from the interview.

Use it as your dojo; learn and practice.

also, focus very heavily on Instagram. All other social sites are pale in comparison to Instagram traffic.

I knew none of them when I first started MMA blogging in 2006.

Mind eloborating on your journalism career path from there on? Just to see what realistic steps are in the indutry. You can also shoot me a DM.

I'd say try to get big on instagram, then maybe start selling muay thai/kickboxing gear?

If you want to make some real coin in this biz start with selling out to that Romanian suppressing crooked Glory promotion...

If you want to make some real coin in this biz start with selling out to that Romanian suppressing crooked Glory promotion...
don't listen to this guy. Keep yourself independent. The warm glow of integrity will comfort you on cold winter days when you can't afford to put the heating on and there is no food in the fridge.

You are not going to.

Would be cool if a bunch of sites/people would gang up and try and do consistent ok coverage of the sport. That'd be something to maybe try and grow into something. Now there's basically just a bunch of tiny sites and most vanish after going way too hard at it for a year or two :)

^ i would also like to see this

Sorry for the late response guys, every Friday is my shaving, groceries, haircut, cleaning room day. I expected some answers, but I'm very glad to see all these help, advice and honoust responses from different people! I'm really feeling the love from the kickbox/muay thai community here right now! I'm kinda glad for my late response so I can discuss all of the responses of all of you.

facebook hasn't earned me a cent so far, so theres that. don't think there is actual money doing "news coverage" like we do. sold any Coffee Mugs so far? reaching out to Promotions, to work for them is probably the only thing.

I worked so hard on those coffee mugs with the best quality, because I didn't want to rip of my own community fans. To not get to specific let's just say I have enough coffee mugs for a while... Working for a promoter would be my dream, but two whings come in my mind. What if the job kinda sucks and the second thing is I still want to make PERFECT KICKBOXING a succes as a side project working for a job. I know some people might think ''working is never fun'', but I can get a well paying job so why work for a promoter for probably less money, risky future and probably outside the Netherlands and way more negative sides.

they only real money is partnering with these organizations and/or steaming services to get a piece of the online ppvs your site can sell to readers. You can also get the organizations to pay for ads on your site for upcoming shows but unless your getting millions of hits s month thats only going to basically cover the server/bandwidth of a site

Coming on those promotions part, they kinda greedy man and to be honoust I have a better website and overall online knowledgde than let's say every kickbox promoter worldwide aside Glory. I don't see the promotion part happening to be fair. I still have that also as a plan, but for the longterm when I have more visitors etc. I actually contacted some streaming services and they never replied lol.

You are not going to.

I wouldn't be so sure about it not working, it's just not easy. That's why I'm asking for help, because surely the kickboxing/muay thai community knows this market very well. I agree with your part about being ONE site with all the kickboxing fans that currently have some kind of influencer media type would be the best, but how in heavens name would that work/help. If even, it would cost more money. Are we going to Skype every day or call or say ''let's do random shit on the social media channels and website''? All the money must be split in 4/5/6/7 people? who's website will be the chosen one? kickbox only? Muay thai only? Both? MMA and boxing included or not? all move to one country to work there and it aint my small ass stinky room.

Aside from the ideas that others have already mentioned, a few very marginal ones:

Patreon, depending on how loyal your website visitors are. Have an account with them, but never used. I'm thinking about comparing these kind of donations websites and choosing one and trying it. Thanks for mentioning it, I will not procrostinate it anymore and write it on my to-do list

You already probably have ads on your website. very low income bruh

You could write a book about the kickboxing game and advertise it on your website, though that would be a lot of work for minimal payoff, probably. Are you high?

It's not a motivation otherwise I would be doing something else, BUTTT.....how awesome would it be if I cán do it. That's why I'm asking for the advice

one thing I would change immediately: Everything is posted under the name 'Admin'

Change that to the author's name. That's the very first thing I would do. Actually I post everything and I don't want my name on it. I don't know how to delete it, but I'm going to put it on my to-do-list right now for deleting that. Thanks for remind me!

Second, it looks like a fight card and results aggregator. I don't see any editorial and I don't see a news stream (interviews, embedded videos, quotes, stuff like that)

Am I looking in the wrong place or do you not have that kind of content right now? Kinda is a fight card and results aggregator, but not with RSS or something like that. I really post it my way and it's not that easy to find those information of every promoter. The ''news'' part is very low, for a reason. It costs a lot of time and thinking and writing for what? Absolutely dog shit. It would not give me extra visitor or money so I decided with this model I have right now it's very easy for me what to post and I have a good overview of what I can post and it doesn't cost a lot of effort. Only very big news I will post something, like when Ismael Lazaar got fucked by that doping shit or when Badr went to jail lol. But goood advice though and will do it in the future when bigger etc.

Try and post about Badr Hari once per week minimum. I am not joking. His name is one of the leading search terms for anything kickboxing related. Same like newspapers use celebrities and the royal family to suck fangirlz in, use Badr items and tagging to raise your SEO and draw more traffic.

Oh boy...trust me I found that a long time ago hahaha. All my Instagram most viewed etc are videos, but suddenly there is a picture there and guess what, it's a pic of him and then more video's after that pic till I find another pic.....badr again, and videos again and you guessed it, third pic with badr casually strolling by. but this of course is not going to help me make more money, it's just nice to know when to decide to repost or write something. I appreciate the advice though.

Chase some original content - all you need is a phone, FB Messenger, whatsapp and you're good to go. Why is D'Angelo Marshall calling out Badr on the GLORY site? Does Jaraya really think he can handle Murthel at 77kg? What's the favorite KO memory of Manhoef's career? Go and dig out original comments, original answers, new interesting things for fans.

Like I said, costs time, actual writing shit and for not much benefit. Don't get me wrong, I WANT TO DO THIS WITH ALL PLEASURE, but in the future when I'm big and people actually read and share it etc. It would be a waste of time now.

Also, again looking to SEO and search terms, I would add some training technique content. "How to ...." is a very popular search term. You can easily find and embed instructional items and create a training stream with minimum one post a week (Throwdown Thursday: publish a full fight video ; Training Tuesday - publish training video) LOL did you got this from my social media posts? You are kinda describing my Throwback Thursday/Question Monday/ Motivation Tuesday/ Funny Saturday posts?

Sit down and make a calendar; right now all your stuff is reactive - "ORGANIZATION X just announced a card, I will publish the card on my site"

There are 52 weeks in a year; if you sit down and say OK, I am going to make some regular weekly posts (Throwdown Thursday, Training Tuesday, Big Ass Monday or whatever the fuck) then now you know OK, that's 52 posts per year for each of those content-streams. Voila, you can now source and plan 156 posts over the next 12 months (not all at once obviously; a few weeks at a time) I'm LITERALLY doing this, but just not on my website but social media. Would you advice to someway also post this on my website? I don't want to do that annoying shit where people have to click on my post on social media to the actual video.

Just to add to this - broadly speaking, I personally would use it as a CV for trying to get work in the industry (good) or the MMA industry (better) or the wider sports industry (best). Or some sort of online content company (LadBible for example). Make it your calling card.

The site itself looks clean and polished; not bad at all. It's the content depth that would get my overhaul. Yes, it's on my CV and always mentioned on my motivation and I have two talks going with an online marketing company and IT company for a traineeship. It's fucking nice on my CV and I had many cmpliments about it. Also again thanks for mentioning this, if I had not this on my CV it would be a gold advice.

Use it also to practice different types of content creation. In the process you will be forced to learn how to use Photoshop, how to film video and edit it on Final Cut or Premiere, stuff like that. All very valuable skills. I knew none of them when I first started MMA blogging in 2006. Still active bro?

When you go to the gym you don't just hit one technique on the bag every time. You do different ones and you put combinations together and you get better and better.

Same on your site; different techniques, different content types. Then you start stringing them together - a 3min video interview becomes a Youtube video, a newstream video post, a 60sec Instagram video post, a Twitter screengrab with a typed quote from the interview.

Use it as your dojo; learn and practice. True man, I couldn't do shit at first and like you say I learned a lot. Literally everything you see on the site, social media, videos, pictures I did myself. But still need more money haha:p

also, focus very heavily on Instagram. All other social sites are pale in comparison to Instagram traffic.
Instagram is going extremely slow for me..except the last video lol. Facebook is going way better thanks to the sharing ability.

I'd say try to get big on instagram, then maybe start selling muay thai/kickboxing gear?
I don't have the money to buy the products, but that's also on my to do list. Got the mug tho:p

Mind eloborating on your journalism career path from there on? Just to see what realistic steps are in the indutry. You can also shoot me a DM.
Really lol

Instagram is going extremely slow for me..except the last video lol. Facebook is going way better thanks to the sharing ability.

It's harder to gain followers, but the facebook algorithm is horrible so most of your viewers won't even see your news article/video, if it isn't super clickbaity. engagement rate on facebook is just way lower than Instagram.

Last edited:
You could try setting up a youtube channel and doing a podcast, if you grow a fanbase you could probably get some spare change from ad revenue and the odd patreon.

I agree with your part about being ONE site with all the kickboxing fans that currently have some kind of influencer media type would be the best, but how in heavens name would that work/help. If even, it would cost more money. Are we going to Skype every day or call or say ''let's do random shit on the social media channels and website''? All the money must be split in 4/5/6/7 people? who's website will be the chosen one? kickbox only? Muay thai only? Both? MMA and boxing included or not? all move to one country to work there and it aint my small ass stinky room.
Could help in a bunch of ways. Now we basically don't have much of any kickboxing media so doing any thing better would be an improvement.

I don't know how many guys currently doing their own things frankly make any money off of it so not like it's a full time job, no need to move anywhere for it :D

Not that this would likely ever happen, but all that other shit would be negotiable between the people involved.

You could try setting up a youtube channel and doing a podcast, if you grow a fanbase you could probably get some spare change from ad revenue and the odd patreon.
People would really listen to podcasts in this niche market?

Could help in a bunch of ways. Now we basically don't have much of any kickboxing media so doing any thing better would be an improvement.

I don't know how many guys currently doing their own things frankly make any money off of it so not like it's a full time job, no need to move anywhere for it :D

Not that this would likely ever happen, but all that other shit would be negotiable between the people involved.
If it were easy I think it would have happened already, I don't think it's that easy to work together. Let alone for almost no money haha

Back