how to overcome stiffness in the ring?

Dmo189

White Belt
Reaction score
Whenever I spar or hit mitts I throw slow punches.
My coach said to focus less on power and more on speed, but I can't without turning them into arm punches.
How do you throw correct power punches with speed?

Whenever I spar or hit mitts I throw slow punches.
My coach said to focus less on power and more on speed, but I can't without turning them into arm punches.
How do you throw correct power punches with speed?

just learn to perfect the technique is the best answer, the speed will eventually come once your technique is solid. Here is a couple things that may help:

1. Your arm should be the last part of your body to move when punching, 80% or more of the motion in a punch is done with your legs, hips, core, shoulders...... the arm/fist firing out is a bi-product of the initial movement from the ground up. In short, when throwing a right cross the motion toward the target begins with a push of the rear foot, then the point of the right hip (if orth) fires forward toward target (hip firing forward is done by pivoting rear heel out), then the front/point of right shoulder launches toward target, finally the arm/fist are fired out and the punch makes contact. If you focus your energy on getting your body to do the correct motions in the correct order, and stop thinking about the fist (keeping the upper body relaxed) it will naturally just fire out there as a result of the body mechanics. This is what creates speed, and not necessarily speed as in really fast, but it also can make a slower guy seem much faster with his hands, since the body mechanics are 80% of the movement....... vs. arm punching is actually much slower!

2. keep relaxed, hold your hands up and then just let your arms hang loosely, not tightening up any of the muscles in the shoulder/neck/bicep, etc..... this alone can make a tremendous difference in your speed

3. make sure your on the balls of your feet, but still keeping a heavier base for power punching (gotta get bend in the legs) in short, get heavy on the balls of your feet when trying to generate power. But being flat footed will slow down the punch, it forces your body to work harder to generate rotational force, since a flat foot doesnt provide a pivot point, it is more like an anchor! I.E: hip must get out in front of the hand, or your arm punching and have far less punch control (end up reaching or falling into your shots.). Alternatively you dont want to be so light on your feet your hopping or jumping into shots, which will also take away power. Slide or step into your shots with your weight heavy on the balls of your feet, you want all your body mass moving in the exact same direction as your punch but still keeping on the balls of the feet so you generate the rotational force of the lower body/core, not hopping or jumping into it..... where your weight is moving in a different direction than the shot (newbs do this all the time, leap or jump into punches thinking it will create more power, it doesnt!)

Last edited:
The secret to combining power and speed is coordinating the whole body's muscles in a technique, not just the arm for a punch or the leg for a kick.

In the beginning, like you said, you will have a tendency to throw arm punches when you go fast, because you're whole body isn't coordinated yet and you are just commanding your arm to move.

As your technique improves your whole body will move with unison and coordination, and you'll see speed+power. So I wouldn't worry about it TOO much, just keep training. This stuff takes time.

spar more, spar more, and spar more.

then fight more, fight more, and fight more.

only way to become comfortable and relaxed.

stiffness in the ring has always been a problem for me cause fighting gives me a hard on.

With more training you will learn to relax.
Then the speed and power will come.

Back