Social How to plug in drum machine into amp for electric guitar?

ringking1982

Crazy Kama will destroy America
@Green
Reaction score
I got an electric guitar and can finally bang out some tunes! I bought an Ammoon Rock Drum loop machine. How do I plug it into my amplifier (Spider V20) to have background drums while I play the guitar? This is frustrating! (I have a Jackson Dinky electric guitar, I know...a terrible name for a metal guitar).

Some guy told me to buy a 1/8'' Plug Male to 1/4''(6.35 mm)Jack Female Stereo Adapter to plug the drum manchine into my headfone. It didn't do a damn thing.

Sorry for this technical question, I can't find anything on the YouTube to help me with this. Sherbros are smarter than the average person.

I dont know shit about guitar hookups. I gave my kid a Behringer setup my dad left me when he died.

20240222-235250.jpg

I dont know shit about guitar hookups. I gave my kid a Behringer setup my dad left me when he died.

20240222-235250.jpg

OMG how many watts is that? Don't let the kid play after 8 pm.

If you plug a 1/4 Mono Splitter into the Amp Input, you can then run both the guitar / drum machine thru it.

Splitter

However, if you are using guitar effects built in the amp, the drum machine will sound like dookie

Dude get a different speaker.

You could either get a powered PA speaker or even home audio speaker, any home stereo speaker if it had sufficient volume.

(If you ignore this, at least set the amp 100% clean, no distortion, no gain, no fx or reverb)

Guitar amps are made for guitars.
They have powerful gain staging that is designed to distort when a strong signal pushes thru the amp and a specific EQ all designed for guitar.

*in proper circumstances, keyboards (electric piano maybe clav) or harmonica might go thru a guitar amp and sound good. But that is about it. Those drums will sound like trash if you set the guitar amp for an electric guitar tone.

Also, FYI, there are tons of backing tracks you can jam along with on YouTube and I would assume probably streaming apps like Spotify or whatever.
You can get just drums, or drums plus bass and maybe light keys to give more of a band feel.
Different genres/styles too.

Last edited:
If you plug a 1/4 Mono Splitter into the Amp Input, you can then run both the guitar / drum machine thru it.

Splitter

However, if you are using guitar effects built in the amp, the drum machine will sound like dookie

yes, I have sound effects built into the amp. What should I do in that case?

Dude get a different speaker.

You could either get a powered PA speaker or even home audio speaker, any home stereo speaker if it had sufficient volume.

(If you ignore this, at least set the amp 100% clean, no distortion, no gain, no fx or reverb)

Guitar amps are made for guitars.
They have powerful gain staging that is designed to distort when a strong signal pushes thru the amp and a specific EQ all designed for guitar.

*in proper circumstances, keyboards (electric piano maybe clav) or harmonica might go thru a guitar amp and sound good. But that is about it. Those drums will sound like trash if you set the guitar amp for an electric guitar tone.

Also, FYI, there are tons of backing tracks you can jam along with on YouTube and I would assume probably streaming apps like Spotify or whatever.
You can get just drums, or drums plus bass and maybe light keys to give more of a band feel.
Different genres/styles too.

Great input here, thanks! It would be ideal to have one amp produce the guitar sound and drum beats. It seems really challenging to do. Am I wrong? Youtube is great, but I don't like fiddling with my phone or computer while playing the guitar.

Great input here, thanks! It would be ideal to have one amp produce the guitar sound and drum beats. It seems really challenging to do. Am I wrong? Youtube is great, but I don't like fiddling with my phone or computer while playing the guitar.
If you insist on putting drum machine thru guitar amp:

Keep amp 100% clean
No fx, no gain

Use pedals if needed to create guitar tone.

Back