How to put on muscle mass without getting fat?

November

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Trying to get buff and increasing my muscle mass while staying cut and fit. What I'm doing right now is eating a low carb, heavy fat/protein diet for the majority of the week, and then a couple days of the week I eat surplus calories and add a lot of carbs on those days and hit the weights heavier those days, and then back to the normal low carb diet.

Gaining muscle and not fat, have 80% to do with nutrition IMO

its impossible after a certain point

once youve reached the end of your homeostasis, your body will try to not to get any bigger. so you will have to force feed way more calories into your body than you need, if you want to continue putting on muscle. your body isnt perfect so some of those excess calories are going to turn into fat.

if you do cardio to counter what you ate, you will burn the calories needed to build muscle. you NEED a huge surplus of calories

eating clean gives a more favorable ratio of muscle to fat as you bulk, but you cant eliminate it

people overestimate how much fat they have to add though. you can stop as soon as you lose your visible abs, and cut before bulking again. but then the whole process takes longer...

Last edited by a moderator:
just eat 300 cals or so above maintenance

just loft lots of weights, run really fast, eat a fuckton of food, get big, get strong, stop giving a fuck about anything especially what you look like, fuck bitches, smile and die happy.

It depends. Would you rather build muscle like batman or captain america?

just loft lots of weights, run really fast, eat a fuckton of food, get big, get strong, stop giving a fuck about anything especially what you look like, fuck bitches, smile and die happy.

Word.

You missed "listen to Lil Ugly Mane"

its impossible after a certain point

once youve reached the end of your homeostasis, your body will try to not to get any bigger. so you will have to force feed way more calories into your body than you need, if you want to continue putting on muscle. your body isnt perfect so some of those excess calories are going to turn into fat.

No.

You can't avoid it but you can minimize it. Eat 'clean', do some LISS, up the protein intake, keep calories slightly above maintenance (200-300 kcal) and have a solid routine.

Very slowly. That is how you gain muscle without gaining fat.

You can't avoid it but you can minimize it. Eat 'clean', do some LISS, up the protein intake, keep calories slightly above maintenance (200-300 kcal) and have a solid routine.

Eating clean doesn't really have a lot to do with body composition and protein should be highest when losing weight in order to maintain muscle mass. Altho I do agree about eating slightly above maintenance

Very slowly. That is how you gain muscle without gaining fat.

This.

Your body can just build so much muscle mass at once. Trying to force-feed your way through a plateu will make you gain weight, but probably will only make you fat.

The simple answer is to take in a slight surplus of calories each day, combined with getting enough protein, and working out (obviously).

You don't need to worry about carbs, eating clean or anything else. Eating clean will make you healthier but that's not what you asked about.

You can use the bodybuilding.com guide to figure out the amount of calories/protein you need.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

Eat at maintenance and train hard 5-6 days a week (mostly resistance training with some supplemental cardio mixed in). Train primarily for hypertrophy - higher reps, focus on muscle activation, and mix in some power/strength work every now and then. Throw in one high calorie day and a 2-4 low calorie days every couple of weeks. Do this CONSISTENTLY(!!) for well over a year, and eventually things will sort themselves out and you'll have more muscle and less fat.

Honestly it's not rocket science, gym rats who are as dumb as rocks accomplish this almost by accident. Just takes consistency, patience, and a little bit of variability.

Eat at maintenance and train hard 5-6 days a week (mostly resistance training with some supplemental cardio mixed in). Train primarily for hypertrophy - higher reps, focus on muscle activation, and mix in some power/strength work every now and then. Throw in one high calorie day and a 2-4 low calorie days every couple of weeks. Do this CONSISTENTLY(!!) for well over a year, and eventually things will sort themselves out and you'll have more muscle and less fat.

Honestly it's not rocket science, gym rats who are as dumb as rocks accomplish this almost by accident. Just takes consistency, patience, and a little bit of variability.

Yeah, carb and calorie cycling is the only way I can see it working.

Go heavy on the carbs and cals the day you lift, way above maintenance. Then a bit below maintenance and low carbs on the other days. The progress will be sloooooow, but it should work.

Personally, I've been doing this along with IF for almost a year and I think it's working.

Yeah, carb and calorie cycling is the only way I can see it working.

Go heavy on the carbs and cals the day you lift, way above maintenance. Then a bit below maintenance and low carbs on the other days. The progress will be sloooooow, but it should work.

Personally, I've been doing this along with IF for almost a year and I think it's working.

Honestly the nutrition part is the least important. As long as you're not consistently over-eating and gaining/losing weight too consistently or too fast, things will probably sort out just fine in the long run. Especially if you're a young male. People mistakingly put too much emphasis on nutrition.

The most important part is training and consistency. Workouts should be daily, intense, hard, and mostly hypertrophy-oriented if you're concerned with body recomposition. Some low semi-regular intensity cardio can help with the fat loss aspect as well.

Back