How to start reading DC/Marvel comics?

I would never suggest anyone read Chris Claremont’s X-men unless they were a long time comic book fan.

He writes too much exposition and everything is so dated it’s tough to get thru. Way too wordy and some of it is extremely boring.

For a new reader I would suggest astonishing X-men from Joss Whedon

Same with the 60's Stan Lee stuff. It's hard to get through sometimes but I will say it really gets you into the character's heads; modern comics almost feel like the main characters aren't interesting after you read the same character with four lines and a thought balloon in one panel. Try them out when you want something new but familiar.

Same with the 60's Stan Lee stuff. It's hard to get through sometimes but I will say it really gets you into the character's heads; modern comics almost feel like the main characters aren't interesting after you read the same character with four lines and a thought balloon in one panel. Try them out when you want something new but familiar.

That’s mostly because stories are told through decompression since warren Ellis started that in the late 90s early 2000s.

So in the DC universe are there 4 different Batman's in each of the four monthly comics?

(Wanted to edit the quote to previous post but didn't see how)

It's supposed to be the same character, in the same timeline. It's ridiculous that Bruce Wayne has so much going on that it fills four books but that's just always been a thing you gotta accept.

Of course if it's a different Batman you'll usually know. Generally if something really crazy happens it's an alternate universe story.

That’s mostly because stories are told through decompression since warren Ellis started that in the late 90s early 2000s.

And Bendis' Daredevil. I appreciate both forms, like with anything there's pluses and minuses to both.

And Bendis' Daredevil. I appreciate both forms, like with anything there's pluses and minuses to both.

Bendis daredevil is excellent btw. But yeah many writers from that early 2000 Brit invasion used that style, Ellis, Morrison, Millar, artists like Bryan Hitch started drawing panels like they were movies. It’s been used constantly since that time.

I enjoy both styles too but getting into Claremont as a first time reader would be rough. It’s not user friendly at all. It’s hard for me to even go back and read some of his Xmen, I find inferno compeltely tedious and hard to finish. Although I absolutely love Claremont’s Alpha Flight.

I've wondered this for quite some time but since the movies are such a huge hit and stirring up Interest among the populace one has to wonder......where the hell do you even begin? There are like a million comics and no beginning in sight.

I have had some people tell me to read only Key comic books while other people pointed to new series like the "new 52" or "rebirth" (DC) but I still have no clue what I should be reading.

Someone teach me to comics.

The original Wolverine mini series (1982 Frank Miller art) is awesome. 4 issues. Start there. You’re welcome.

Bendis daredevil is excellent btw. But yeah many writers from that early 2000 Brit invasion used that style, Ellis, Morrison, Millar, artists like Bryan Hitch started drawing panels like they were movies. It’s been used constantly since that time.

I enjoy both styles too but getting into Claremont as a first time reader would be rough. It’s not user friendly at all. It’s hard for me to even go back and read some of his Xmen, I find inferno compeltely tedious and hard to finish. Although I absolutely love Claremont’s Alpha Flight.

You're right about Bendis' Daredevil. I'd say the decompressed storytelling style started with Miller and Moore's 80's stuff. Even though they were wordy by today's standards they broke out of the overly-expositioned stuff that came before. Howard Porter was a big deal in the art switch too; him and Morrison termed the "Widescreen comics" idea.

Apparently Claremont was obsessed with the characters. I guess you'd have to be to write them for ten years. I'm actually not sure it's so bad for brand new readers because they won't know it's weird to have so much writing. I love new comics but sometimes they feel kind of... cinematic, but in a way that doesn't really go anywhere.

The X-Men movies all sucked. I was a guy who looked for any excuse to buy the DVD, but never bought an X-Men movie DVD.
Huuuuuuuuuh??? I thought 1,2, DOFP, and AOA were great.

Heck, X-Men 1 started the whole super hero movie revolution.

But if all those “sucked” than what was good?

Last edited:
Thanks man. What about after that? Aren't there comics that come out every month? You think after those reads I'd be more or less caught up?
new material comes out every week on Wednesday. Honestly, if you pick up a current issue of anything, it won't take you long to get in the hang of things (mainstream comics that is) as long as you are familiar with the basic character (Batman, Superman, etc.).

So in the DC universe are there 4 different Batman's in each of the four monthly comics?
No, one Batman, but each appearance is set in a different time period. Example, the Batman title happens either before or after the Detective Comics title. Just depends on the story they are telling.

Huuuuuuuuuh??? I thought 1,2, DOFP, and AOA were great.

Heck, X-Men 1 started the whole super hero movie revolution.

But if all those “sucked” than what was good?
Thor Ragnarok? I never would have guessed I'd like a movie about that subject.

I've wondered this for quite some time but since the movies are such a huge hit and stirring up Interest among the populace one has to wonder......where the hell do you even begin? There are like a million comics and no beginning in sight.

I have had some people tell me to read only Key comic books while other people pointed to new series like the "new 52" or "rebirth" (DC) but I still have no clue what I should be reading.

Someone teach me to comics.

Oh, and The Maxx. It’s a very cool series.

No, one Batman, but each appearance is set in a different time period. Example, the Batman title happens either before or after the Detective Comics title. Just depends on the story they are telling.
Is Bruce Wayne dead right now? I heard a batcave fell on him or something.

Start with the first page. Top to bottom, left to right. Profit.

First step, reduce testosterone

After that, grow a neckbeard, become fat and white.

Your sorted mate.

Start with the first page. Top to bottom, left to right. Profit.
This is sometimes backwards when it comes to Manga comics. Start on the backcover, and read panels in opposite order starting with the upper right corner -- go left, and down by panel rows.