How to take a punch well? Minimise shock when hit?

BringBackTRTforFairness

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Eventually you will get hit hard.

How do you take the sting off the punch when all other defenses have failed?

Am I right in thinking tensing up is important (the ones you don't see coming cause the most damage because you are relaxed and your head gets accelerated quick)

But while tensed up you dont want to be like a stiff tense pole because that too adds to the damage, you want to be stiff at the neck and shoulders but give way at the waist so you can move with the punch? (Like a crumple barrier)

Chin tucked so the neck chest and head become 1 solid piece. Hands on temples

Footwork maybe can reduce power if you are close already get even closer to crowd the punches and reduce their power, also use foot work to go with the flow of power but has to be done right you dont want to step back or to the side and allow their punch to build up to max speed lol before it strikes you, you want to go with the force if its already struck or about to strike to take a bit of the sting off slow it down gradually

Bit down hard on gum shield

Any other tips?

Please correct these if they are wrong

Start training in a gym with real coaches.

You cannot condition yourself. Pro Boxers have good chins due to natural selection, nothing else. They wouldn't make it as pro if they weren''t born with it

aguy gives better advice than my coaches, others have epic knowledge that goes beyond the coaching in my crappy little town, theres nothing wrong with asking this here,

Last edited:
The most important is to learn the feel of when and how to move, and how to keep posture and control yourself. You must work on it and polish it and you'll be able to tell by "feel" and instinct more and more.

You cannot condition yourself. Pro Boxers have good chins due to natural selection, nothing else. They wouldn't make it as pro if they weren''t born with it

Stop speaking like an authority on boxing. You've been boxing for like a week. You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. There are absolutely ways to improve the ability to take a punch, some technical and some conditioning. You'll learn about them eventually.

On topic of the thread, the three things you can do to make sure punches don't hurt as bad are 1) to keep your eyes on the punches at all times, even if it means getting hit by them 2) to tuck your chin correctly with your jaw tight and make sure your posture is correct and 3) to get into a good stance with feet spaced/aligned properly and hips and knees engaged so that you have the balance to absorb shots with your entire body. If you can do nothing more than those 3 things, you'll be difficult to knock out. In addition, learning to step and roll with punches will take the sting off them. Neck strengthening exercises will help, but see a professional for that so you don't fuck yourself up.

Stop speaking like an authority on boxing. You've been boxing for like a week. You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. There are absolutely ways to improve the ability to take a punch, some technical and some conditioning. You'll learn about them eventually.

No. There are boxing and Kickboxing champions who had glass jaws, Ernesto Hoost for an example. The only reason he was still a champion is due to his superiority.

How well you can take a punch without getting lights out is genetics. Joe Lewis is a bigger authority on the subject than you and he agrees.

No. There are boxing and Kickboxing champions who had glass jaws, Ernesto Hoost for an example. The only reason he was still a champion is due to his superiority.

How well you can take a punch without getting lights out is genetics. Joe Lewis is a bigger authority on the subject than you and he agrees.
If you're talking about standing there with your chin sticking out like a freaking moron, there probably isn't that much you can do to improve your chin. But "chin" isn't just about innate resistance, it's about the actions you personally take during defending to minimize the damage from the punches. George Chuvalo, who had one of the hardest chins of any boxer, is known to have said "If I got hit with one tenth of the punches I was supposed to have been hit with, I'd be in pretty bad shape", or there abouts.

You can find a video about him talking about this here:

So is it genetic? To an extent. But it CAN be improved, by working on the muscles (like George says, and I think he's a bigger authority than Joe Lewis is) and by improving your defensive skills.

Last edited:
You can take alot of the sting off a punch by rolling with it. Like if you see a hook coming in on your right side, start turning your head to the left.

See Anderson Silva doing it, especially at :46

You are polluting the stand up forum. You just started but in near every thread the topic is you explaining to much more experienced forum members how everything works and what a tough and how skilled guy you are. Ernesto Hoost has a "glass jaw" for a WORLDCLASS KICKBOXER who mastered his art to perfection.

His chin is lightyears better then yours or mine and damn sure most kickboxers. Read what @a guy wrote and try to accept that he knows much more about it than you do. I really have a hard time believing you did any combat sports at all with all that gibberish.

Just cut down on your post count and do a little insight why you are here. Would do all of us a favour.

As a coach I respect the students no matter how bad they are because they most def mastered other arts I know nothing about and I believe in their potential. Lesson = everyone has his value especially when its hidden.

As a student I shut up, keep my ego in place and take whats given because no matter how good I am in my job..etc I dont know a thing about this. You are (just as myself) not competent at it. That can change but definitely not with that attitude. Deal with it.

I wish you the best but really take a look and think about it.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the topic imo Joe Calzaghe is a good example for a proactive good chin. He took the heat out of most punches with excellent footwork, head movement and in general anticipation when and were the punch will land. I like his fight against RJJ to demonstrate that f.e. Dont know if that counts as chin but its important in my definition because the ability to take punishment as a stationary object is imo only a small part of "chin".

If people talk about "brawlers" like Roberto Duran and their chin they often forget how fantastic they are in technical skill (Robertos fishing with the Jab:).moving with the opponents punch.etc ) and that this is the foundation of their chin. Well so long my view on that.

Last edited:
Eventually you will get hit hard.

How do you take the sting off the punch when all other defenses have failed?

Am I right in thinking tensing up is important (the ones you don't see coming cause the most damage because you are relaxed and your head gets accelerated quick)

But while tensed up you dont want to be like a stiff tense pole because that too adds to the damage, you want to be stiff at the neck and shoulders but give way at the waist so you can move with the punch? (Like a crumple barrier)

Chin tucked so the neck chest and head become 1 solid piece. Hands on temples

Footwork maybe can reduce power if you are close already get even closer to crowd the punches and reduce their power, also use foot work to go with the flow of power but has to be done right you dont want to step back or to the side and allow their punch to build up to max speed lol before it strikes you, you want to go with the force if its already struck or about to strike to take a bit of the sting off slow it down gradually

Bit down hard on gum shield

Any other tips?

Please correct these if they are wrong

This is laughable. you think that in the half second that you do actually get hit, which is generally something you dont see coming because no one intentionally get hit. So when you get hit with something you didnt see coming, you think in that split second your going to tense up, relax your neck, loose waist, take a step back, etc etc etc. its all nonsense man.

what you should do is take a 1 centimeter step back with your left foot, step 2 centimeters to the Right with your right foot. Blink your left eye twice, twitch your right ear, wiggle your toes, and say to yourself theres no place like home 5 times fast in your head, inhale and exhale at the same time through your right nostril, then burp fart and sneeze at the same time. this is how the champs consistently practice to take hits.

If you're talking about standing there with your chin sticking out like a freaking moron, there probably isn't that much you can do to improve your chin. But "chin" isn't just about innate resistance, it's about the actions you personally take during defending to minimize the damage from the punches. George Chuvalo, who had one of the hardest chins of any boxer, is known to have said "If I got hit with one tenth of the punches I was supposed to have been hit with, I'd be in pretty bad shape", or there abouts.

You can find a video about him talking about this here:

So is it genetic? To an extent. But it CAN be improved, by working on the muscles (like George says, and I think he's a bigger authority than Joe Lewis is) and by improving your defensive skills.

You are polluting the stand up forum. You just started but in near every thread the topic is you explaining to much more experienced forum members how everything works and what a tough and how skilled guy you are. Ernesto Hoost has a "glass jaw" for a WORLDCLASS KICKBOXER who mastered his art to perfection.

His chin is lightyears better then yours or mine and damn sure most kickboxers. Read what @a guy wrote and try to accept that he knows much more about it than you do. I really have a hard time believing you did any combat sports at all with all that gibberish.

Just cut down on your post count and do a little insight why you are here. Would do all of us a favour.

As a coach I respect the students no matter how bad they are because they most def mastered other arts I know nothing about and I believe in their potential. Lesson = everyone has his value especially when its hidden.

As a student I shut up, keep my ego in place and take whats given because no matter how good I am in my job..etc I dont know a thing about this. You are (just as myself) not competent at it. That can change but definitely not with that attitude. Deal with it.

I wish you the best but really take a look and think about it.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the topic imo Joe Calzaghe is a good example for a proactive good chin. He took the heat out of most punches with excellent footwork, head movement and in general anticipation when and were the punch will land. I like his fight against RJJ to demonstrate that f.e. Dont know if that counts as chin but its important in my definition because the ability to take punishment as a stationary object is imo only a small part of "chin".

If people talk about "brawlers" like Roberto Duran and their chin they often forget how fantastic they are in technical skill (Robertos fishing with the Jab:).moving with the opponents punch.etc ) and that this is the foundation of their chin. Well so long my view on that.

I can write what ever the fuck I want. Ernesto Hoosts glass jaw is infamous. He has face-planted twice in K1 from punches to the head. He is unique in that regards at the level he is at.

Last edited:
Don't be there.

Jokes aside. People forget how important overall conditioning is here. Train yourself to move with the punch. Little steps help a lot.

Or you could just chew gum like George Chuvalo said he did.

If this is not a glass jaw, I don't know what is:

Wow getting cracked clean by multiple punches he didn't see is proof of a glass jaw. Thanks for proving my point for me: the first thing I said is keeping your eyes on the punches.

You don't know shit about boxing. You have no boxing experience. In maybe a year from now, if you stick with it, your opinion will mean something.

Wow getting cracked clean by multiple punches he didn't see is proof of a glass jaw. Thanks for proving my point for me: the first thing I said is keeping your eyes on the punches.

You don't know shit about boxing. You have no boxing experience. In maybe a year from now, if you stick with it, your opinion will mean something.

What are your credentials in boxing?

What are your credentials in boxing?

A guy has an extremely sharp eye, one that has impressed many over the years including Sinister. When it comes to dissecting boxing technique, tactics, or strategy I have literally never seen him be wrong. Very rare in the boxing world. He's a gem of a teacher.

Right now, he's basically the opposite of you.

Lovingly,

Reyes

The discussion is not about boxing specifically. I linked a Kickboxing clip and I have sparred full contact Kickboxing. I have missed shots, including a full swing roundhouse kick to the jaw when I was tired late in the session and dropped the guard. Had no effect on me. I have also been elbowed to the face, kicked in the stormatch, punched in the tempel, kicked in the stomach. Etc. And some of those incidents I wasnt even training any martial arts.

Back