How to train the physique at home

Konighter

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey guys! The situation is that I don't have money to go to a gym. I mean, I do still spar and train regulary, but I can't afford to go to a conditioning gym. That said, I don't know how to do a good workout regime at home with no equipament whatsoever. I've looked for some ways but can't see no good explanation because requires buying equipament. I do have a punching bag, but that's about it. I am looking for a all-week regime. Any help with be appreciated guys!

The best advice I can give is to look in to Ross Enamait's stuff. He has a book or two about low-tech training for s&c.

faq-icon.gif

His goal is to learn how to use the fucking edit-button.

Yeeeeaaaah. The faq has nothing on this.

ALL from the FAQ.

FAQ MOTHER****ER said:
[Q: How do I get stronger?

A: For almost everyone, the best way to do it is through compound barbell exercises; either exercises like the squat, deadlift, overhead press and bench press, or the Olympic lifts (clean, snatch, and jerk), or both. You do these exercises with weights that are heavy (for you) for fairly low numbers of repetitions (most of the time) and you do them progressively (always trying to add more weight to the bar or do more reps). You do a limited amount of extra work, because what makes you strong is getting stronger in the big movements.

The rest of the FAQ explains a lot the details of this but as a starting point read Carnal's treatise on the lifting of heavy iron and then http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/read-886282/

Q: Why are you anti-bodybuilding in this forum?

A: We're not. We simply believe that, if you are an athlete (strongman, powerlifter, fighter, wrestler, football player, etc.), then there are innumerable training methods superior to bodybuilding, which is aesthetic-oriented rather than performance-oriented. That is not to deny that hypertrophy has its benefits nor is it to close the door entirely on any and all questions/interests in hypertrophy or even bodybuilding. For the non-athlete interested in aesthetics more than performance, this thread is for you.

Q: Can I just do 200 reps with the pink, 2lb, foo-foo dumbbells? After all that gives me a wicked awesome pump and my arms feel really tired.

A: NO! You have to lift heavy if you want to be strong. Read this article - Why You Should Lift Heavy Things

Q: Do I have to do Squats/Deadlifts?

A:YES, These are the two most important lifts in terms of overall body strength and development. No amount of benching and curling will make up for not doing them; any routine that does not include them is inherently flawed.

FAQ MOTHER****ER said:
Q: I only have a barbell at home, and no power rack or squat stands, what can I do?

You can do deadlifts, cleans/power cleans, clean the weight and do front squats, clean the weight and do overhead presses/push presses, bent over rows, or do dead stop zercher squats (Google them).

If you have a bench, you can use that to do bench press, or you can do floor presses (you can even use some planks to lie on and create greater ROM in your floor presses). You can use saw horses and do bottom squats, or otherwise improvise to create some type of platform/stands for the weights to rest on.

You can also practice your olympic lifts.

Q: What do I need to make a home gym?

A: This has been discussed several times on the board, here

Get the book Overcoming Gravity (if you can handle a master text) or Convict Conditioning (if you want a simpler version).

I would like to vote for moving the unofficial BW training thread to the stickies.

ALL from the FAQ.

In all fairness all that talks about it training with barbell movements. Something he said he doesn't have.

I would recommend something like burpeess, bodyweight squats, lunges, pullups, pushups, and maybe some jumps, sprints, and carries.

Ross Enamait is your man.

Apart from getting a rack and barbell, which is costly, or, building some of the equipment your own (like the rack), some cheaper options are:

Buying/Building/Improvising a chin-up bar (local playground or something?). Or for inverted rows.

I built a chin-up bar at my old house. So cheap. Buy two posts--get them scrap if you need--saw a wedge out of the end of each piece. Put them in the ground with a bag of cement,place a bar across the posts held by the wedge you took out and chin away. Load up a backpack for weight.

What about buying one big (adjustable) dumbbell?

Placing objects on your back for weighted push-ups?

Filling up huge buckets with water/sand/something for weighted farmers walks or walking lunges?

Pistol squats holding objects for increased weight.

Convict conditioning is a great book filled with info on BW training. Alkavadlo.com is also an excellent source.

In all fairness all that talks about it training with barbell movements. Something he said he doesn't have.

I would recommend something like burpeess, bodyweight squats, lunges, pullups, pushups, and maybe some jumps, sprints, and carries.
That's the point. If you want to actually get strong, stop dicking around with push-ups and crunches and actually pick heavy shit up and put it down.

Mechanical learnings of Sherdog for make benefit glorious physique of bros.

Back