How would Cejudo's title reign have gone if he hadn't retired?

blaseblase

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
If he hadn't retired he would've had to fight either Petr Yan or Aldo. Followed by Sterling. Would you have favored him in those matchups? Its an interesting question to me considering the Cejudo we are getting now is post 35, which is a terrible age for the lighter weight classes. Right now he's a solid contender but I wonder how good he would have been if he had fought these guys a few years ago.

On top of age he is on the shorter side of the division, i would probably pick him over all of them back then.

He was in his prime after the win over Cruz.
I think he would have had a couple more title defenses but honestly, he's too small for BW. He couldn't do much to either Aljo or Merab.

we'll never know.. one thing for sure though. him retiring on top only to come back and lose every fight was the lowest iq play ive ever seen.

This was age at its strongest, you cannot beat it. Merab would be easy pickings 3,4 years ago. Cardio is truly unforgiving in smaller categories.

we'll never know.. one thing for sure though. him retiring on top only to come back and lose every fight was the lowest iq play ive ever seen.
We might find out someday. Now Cejudo can retire again and try again.

He really shot himself in the foot by faking that retirement. 3 years out of the game while he's in his absolute prime. A very dumb decision by Henry

If he didn't fake retirement.. IMO he might have beaten aldo, yan and sterling but still lose to Merab. Just my 2 cents

if he stayed at 125, he would have defended at least 3-4 times. at 135 it would have been harder, but he definitely could have put in a few defenses as well

Really one of the dumbest moves ever. Tried to strong arm the UFC into more money by fake retiring, then wasted 3 years of his career before finally coming back when he was too old.

Wouldn't do good for too long. Puts careers into perspective of those who retire on a high note (namely undefeated).

If he hadn't retired he would've had to fight either Petr Yan or Aldo. Followed by Sterling. Would you have favored him in those matchups? Its an interesting question to me considering the Cejudo we are getting now is post 35, which is a terrible age for the lighter weight classes. Right now he's a solid contender but I wonder how good he would have been if he had fought these guys a few years ago.
I think he would’ve beaten like Chito maybe, but Aldo would’ve stopped him. Yan would’ve been a scrap and I would’ve loved to have seen a Dillashaw rematch at 135. I think Dillashaw would’ve gotten it done though at 135.

He likely would've been one of the best champs ever. Not sure why he purposely took a long shit all over his own remarkable career. Smaller guys have earlier, shorter primes, and he sat the last few years of his gaying around on the sidelines.

Really one of the dumbest moves ever. Tried to strong arm the UFC into more money by fake retiring, then wasted 3 years of his career before finally coming back when he was too old.
Wasn't there some thot involved with that decision too? OR was was that already after he retired?

Back