How would Garbrandt vs Aldo go?

Aldo is finished, but he might be too big for Cody. I like Cody's game more though.

Jabs to keep Cody honest and Low kicks to slow Cody down. If 5 round fight, then 3rd round KO. If 3 round fight i can see a 3-0 unanimous decision.

Aldo barely use his kicks anymore..

Aldo's got so many miles and battlescars on him at this point he's probably not at his best anymore - especially having abandoned his mean lowkicks and TDs - but he's still so damn quick, and significantly larger than Cody.

Cody's best bet would be to try to take it into deep waters and have Aldo spend energy on misses, similar to how Max did.

He threw 1 kick in 3 rounds against Holloway..
Listen, Cody's not going to ground and pound Aldo on the mat--he'd probably get reversed and submitted. Holloway is such a threat.

Cody would have a limp for week after losing a UD
Aldo is not using kicks very much,and even if he would land 1 or 2 its not like Cody would be done,nobody was.Its a bit overrated how much damage his kicks make,but still i would take Aldo i guess.

Listen, Cody's not going to ground and pound Aldo on the mat--he'd probably get reversed and submitted. Holloway is such a threat.

You think Aldo with the best TDD in MMA was scared of Holloway's takedowns? Lol.

You think Aldo with the best TDD in MMA was scared of Holloway's takedowns? Lol.
You think he just decided not to throw kicks against Frankie in fight #2 and then Max Holloway? lol

Aldo is not using kicks very much,and even if he would land 1 or 2 its not like Cody would be done,nobody was.Its a bit overrated how much damage his kicks make,but still i would take Aldo i guess.

Jose's leg kick game is determined by his opponent. Out of his last 5 fights, 3 were against strong wrestlers (with whom he's usually more careful with his kicks) and Conor (ko'd in 13 seconds). His last 5 fights span over 4 years ago, so it seems like he no longer has that weapon in his arsenal. Check his training/sparring videos for all of those past fights, his kicks are just as effective/harder than his WEC days.

Cody would try to stand toe-to-toe with Aldo (and probably be competitive boxing) but that leaves Aldo's leg kicks as the difference maker.

Jose's leg kick game is determined by his opponent. Out of his last 5 fights, 3 were against strong wrestlers (with whom he's usually more careful with his kicks) and Conor (ko'd in 13 seconds). His last 5 fights span over 4 years ago, so it seems like he no longer has that weapon in his arsenal. Check his training/sparring videos for all of those past fights, his kicks are just as effective/harder than his WEC days.

Cody would try to stand toe-to-toe with Aldo (and probably be competitive boxing) but that leaves Aldo's leg kicks as the difference maker.
I'm sure they are,just not fight ending or decisive factor to his wininng.Lamas took dozens of them and seemed fine,Mendes as well.Only Faber really got destroyed by them and that's when they hype about his leg kicks begins,they are dangerous and strong but its not a main factor to a fighter in their loss.
Cody could box with Aldo,he is faster and has power but Aldo has power for Cody too,he got tagged by Cruz on many occasions but i think that's because he didn't respect his power,he would respect Aldo in that manner.

Aldo because of size. Cody truly belongs at 135. Aldo could do 155 easily.

Cody is too small for 145, he's a legit 147lb man on fight night where as Aldo is 165 probably. If Aldo uses leg kicks he wins, if he tries to box like he has been recently he's an idiot and loses though.
Cody says he's 146-148lbs now, and walks around at that NOW. He also says he use to cut too much from 162 to 135, and feels better in the high 140s. So obviously Cody can get about 20lbs bigger then current, and isn't much smaller then Aldo in any measurement, beside reach really. So if he were to gain the mass back, his fight night weight would increase too. And one more thing.. Aldo only landed I believe one kick against Max, who is also a boxing based mma fighter, similar to Cody, just a lot longer and approx 180lbs out of camp. Also, Yair, Ryan Hall, Choi and Ortega, all come in around 148-153lbs on fight night, which isn't that much bigger then Cody currently on fight night for a 135lb fight. Wonder how sparring sessions are looking with Cody, Elkins, Fili, Yair, etc.. at TAM these days..

Aldo doesnt even leg kick anymore. Garbrandt would sneak some hook to Aldo's chin and KO him

As much as I'm a fan of Aldo I think he's lost a step or two. He's at about 65% and i don't think it's a good matchup to Garbrandt's 95% Cody would take it to the later rounds and finish Aldo. now Aldo in his Prime and Cody right now that's a damn good fight if we are talking about fantasy fights. Aldo would fuck him up. chop them legs up once or twice and put doubt in Cody's mind a few sharp knees to the gut and some 1-2's to the dome and Cody loses control of his bowels.

Aldo's chin is fading and he isn't using leg kicks like he did earlier in his career. His leg kicks are insane, they're his best weapon and you rarely see them nowadays. I wonder whether he's going the way of Shogun losing faith in his knees as he gets older.

Cody would be outsized but he is crisp as it gets in the UFC with boxing. If he can land on Cruz, he can land on Jose. With the way Aldo's been getting clipped recently I'd actually wager on Cody.

Back