Social How you doing in life

Weird but telling you mentioned both finance and career among exactly three things.
We're doing life wrong and are miserable because of it.
giphy.gif

I have a roof over my head, I get to eat food that I like whenever I want. I'm working out in gym two to three times a week so I'm relatively fit and doing well in overall health other than being underweight.

I'll say I'm fairing better than 95% of the world population.

Things could always be better, but if chasing the “better life” takes too much effort, why bother? Being contented with what you have instead of focusing on what you don't, make life so much more relaxing and enjoyable.

If I put things in perspective, I'm doing pretty good. With someone who suffers from mental illness (depression, anxiety) I could be in really terrible situations right now or not even be here. So it's all good, can't complain. There a lot of people who struggling way worse than I am.

I thought I would be dead at the age of 21, and lived my life like it back then.

I'm now 44, have a hot wife, awesome smart athletic kids, have a nice home, nice cabin, lots of vehicles (it's my hobby) and a good career as a teacher where I try and help out other kids that thought they had no where to go in life and would be dead at 21.

No where near where I thought I would be, and I'm ok with that.

Well 5 months ago I was gonna be dead at 34 from a birth defect in my brain, now I won't be, and it only took literally everything tangible from me for that to happen, plus 15-20 MRIs since the neighboring stroke at age 15 and a cheek-long scar from a black hobo's boxcutter attack with a badly chipped front tooth due to a seizure during their 4 month surgery delay, ending with 12ish months of memory loss from how much they chopped out. Now my credit's down 200 points, my savings are gone, I haven't been able to go to the gym in a year and a half and neither of my brothers or parents talk to me, but at least I finally won't die, even if the trade off was the worst circumstances my life has ever had.

Wow

Kinda went exactly as planned. Now I'm like now what

I thought I would be dead at the age of 21, and lived my life like it back then.

I'm now 44, have a hot wife, awesome smart athletic kids, have a nice home, nice cabin, lots of vehicles (it's my hobby) and a good career as a teacher where I try and help out other kids that thought they had no where to go in life and would be dead at 21.

No where near where I thought I would be, and I'm ok with that.

pic of hotwife?

Sometimes I'm not sure if I relate more to Robbie or Nick here. Probably neither but we all have our battles that we fight on a daily, weekly and ongoing basis.

FA-HKRRVkAIzfbw.jpg

Doing way better in life then I ever thought I would. All I did was follow and chase the things I wanted to do and it worked out for me. I never cared about money I was more focused on having jobs I loved because I knew I would quit otherwise. Took me a bit but the money eventually came.

I am doing pretty well. I probably didn't think work was going to be so stressful and such a grind. But the last 5 years have been way better with my new job, and I love it. A little less than I was making but worth it. Great kids and wife. I knew my kids would be good people, I am surprised at how much they have excelled in School and Sports. I live a fun life, but it is sinking in that I probably only have 25-30 years left if you go by averages. That just means I have to get working on my bucket list NOW.

I got out of the Army in 2012. I served on active duty for a little over ten years. I was a sniper and a paratrooper. I was offered my first Blackwater contract back in 2005, at 125k per year. But I declined so I could finish Ranger School and Pathfinder. After getting out I was slated to work for Aegis Defense Services as a corporate sniper. Kidding, they don’t call it that. I believe it was called DDM or designated defense marksman (iirc) and snipers like me got paid an extra hundred dollars a day, so $750 per day. Before I could do that I had a series of events land on me after losing my girlfriend and getting out the service. Currently, im enrolled in the veterans intensive ptsd program, and im on week 4. I have a VA disability rating of 100% total and permanent. Im glad I volunteered to come here to get better, I feel better right now than I have in years. Thanks for letting me share.

ps: I went through Sniper School with Thomas “Patrick” Payne of Delta Force, who was awarded the Medal of Honor back in 2017. He was the Stalkmaster of our class. I could tell you stories about him. He is utterly superhuman. I was completely amazed seeing him perform.

which island did ya move to? how is the island life full time?

also sorry for your loss sherbro the world can be unbelievably cruel sometimes

Thanks man, my life has changed now. I just got to deal with it.

I'm on the Big Island and live in Kona full time. I really enjoy living here and love the natural beauty and the weather. Shorts every day. Definitely are some trade offs with living here and the BI is very rural. Cost of living is not much different than where I was in California. Real Estate has boomed here and prices doubled over the last four years.

I'm just a long way from Family that seems to need me close.

I'm doing terrible in life, because I imagined the best parts of everything you listed rather than steeling with the reality of them.

I'm also doing terrible in life because I didn't try to be the best that I can be, I tried to be the best that other people are or wanted me to be.

5 years behind my pragmatic projections.

10+ years behind my optimistic projections.

But I’m well off. And much better off than where I started.

I'm doing okay but I'm not satisfied.

I have a good job, great kids and a wife that's the hottest woman on the planet to me, but it all feels so fragile, like I'm due for a major hardship. Like I feel guilty for being so lucky.

Maybe I just need to relax and enjoy it. I feel dumb even bringing it up because so many people would switch places with me in a heartbeat.

Back