Howcome Americans like NFL but not rugby?

BillytheFish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Always wondered, in recent years rugby in the USA is more prominent than before, and watching/supporting rugby wouldn't take away from watching NFL. Im not arguing which one is better here (rugby obviously), but howcome both sports aren't as big?

Considering they both involve fucking machines smashing into each other to get a ball?

Ireland are playing New Zealand right now- and it is an amazing game. 110 tackles made in the first 17 minutes, and in rugby you can only tackle the guy with the ball...

They're both Fucking shit.

79985d1484632408-engine-replacement-something-different-end-thread.jpg

It's just that most people don't know what it is. If it was marketed right and had some good American players, I could see it doing OK.

I don't understand the rules. I used to be like that with the NFL but the Superbowl is like a holiday here, so everyone's forced to watch it. Which means you kind of pick up the rules after a while.

Also, nowadays I only watch NFL because of fantasy football.

If fantasy rugby was a thing and it was fun then I may be open to it.

Its not even a matter of entertainment value.

American football is embedded in our culture. There are more collegiate opportunities with American Football. The superbowl is essentially a holliday.

Last edited:
Its not even a matter of entertainment value.

American football is embedded in our culture. There are more collegiate opportunities with Anerican Football. The superbowl is essentially a holliday.
Yeah, baseball is the most boring sport in the world. Fucking sucks. Even sucks to play. But people still watch it. I guess sports are just cultural.

Always wondered, in recent years rugby in the USA is more prominent than before, and watching/supporting rugby wouldn't take away from watching NFL. Im not arguing which one is better here (rugby obviously), but howcome both sports aren't as big?

Considering they both involve fucking machines smashing into each other to get a ball?

Ireland are playing New Zealand right now- and it is an amazing game. 110 tackles made in the first 17 minutes, and in rugby you can only tackle the guy with the ball...
Gridiron football was originally closely related to rugby before rule changes which made the game more exciting to our tastes. Americans and Canadians prefer gridiron football, while UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand prefer rugby, and the rest of the world really doesn't give a shit. And baseball is based on cricket, but is more popular in the US, Canada, Mexico, Latin America and East Asia, while cricket is more popular in the UK, Ireland, South Asia and West Indies. Some people think cucumbers taste better pickled.

I don't love rugby but I can watch it

NFL though... straight up I have no clue why you lot love that
That's up there with competitive swimming or darts for me

It's just, way better. In every way.

Sorry your old gay ass sport is so shitty.

How come Americans like NFL but not rugby? Always wondered, in recent years rugby in the USA is more prominent than before, and watching/supporting rugby wouldn't take away from watching NFL.

You are British, you would not understand. For the same reason they don't like soccer and the Europeans love it. It is a cultural thing. But the U.S. and the British have one thing in common from the rest of the world, the 'imperial' system of measurement instead of the 'metric' system. Yeah, that one makes no sense to me...

I don't fully understand the rules, so the confusion takes away from the entertainment. And they throw the ball underhand like girls.

We have a ton of national sports already, not much room for more. Also the NFL is better so......

Back